• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blrgooner

Established Member
Here's question someone could answer and if not, I'll look into a bit later when I can be bothered. Was he there for all or most of the bad games we played in 2021?
He was there for the City and pool games which were really bad. He was also there for the Villarreal games and a draw against Burnley.
He was not there for the poor games in 2021 against Villa, Everton and Fulham. Also the game against Crystal Palace where we were drawing until came in as a sub and got the assist.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
I agree, too many variables. However, I didn't look at all of them but if you count Palace at home, Villa away, Wolves away, Olympiakos at home, Everton at home, Fulham at home and Slavia Prague at home among the worst performances of 2021, then he didnt start in any of them.
I suspect you're just counting all the losses he wasn't involved in. For example most people would agree we were extremely good against Wolves until Luiz and the ref conspired to **** us, that was also the end of Pepe for a while for some reason.

samspade

Apart from Ramos who went on a free and Varane who has a year left you could say that about anybody at Madrid.

Or in world football. This "no clubs are in for him" argument isn't great :lol:
Completely agree, Schneijder and Robben left Madrid basically uncontested while City were spunking cash all over the place for Robinho et al.

Goonger

I suspect you're just counting all the losses he wasn't involved in. For example most people would agree we were extremely good against Wolves until Luiz and the ref conspired to **** us, that was also the end of Pepe for a while for some reason.

Exactly, so I didn't count that in our worst performances. As blrgooner said, he started in defeats to Liverpool & Man City at home, & the 2 poor legs vs Villarreal & the draw against Burnley, where we drew with a Xhaka brainfart. So that might provide some balance.

samspade

Think people probably need a refresher on results so here you go:
Ødegaard vs ESR.png
Results in order when either player started at 10, not sure whether to include Villareal at home as I remember ESR and Øde starting as 8's but Øde's position didnt seem to change much to me. Don't want to bias this post in any way but for full disclosure I'm anti Ødegaard. Hope I haven't got anything wrong, feel free to let me know if I have.

Edit: I'm comparing him to ESR to try to make sure we aren't comparing his games to trash tier 11's with Willian at 10 for example. I also don't want to allow to many opportunities for selection bas on my behalf so I've included everything within this parameter.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
View attachment 3818
Results in order when either player started at 10, not sure whether to include Villareal at home as I remember ESR and Øde starting as 8's but Øde's position didnt seem to change much to me. Don't want to bias this post in any way but for full disclosure I'm anti Ødegaard. Hope I haven't got anything wrong, feel free to let me know if I have.
Nice comparison. Don't want to draw too many conclusions from that except to say that having both ESR and Ode available as options seemed to improve our general play.

The matches we lost with Ødegaard in the team were all exceptionally difficult ones (I include a semi final with Villarreal as that). The ESR ones you could argue should have been more winnable. I'm not comparing those two directly though, both good players imo

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
We were really good against Wolves . Losing against them & Villa on the bounce in feb when we were very unfortunate in both games cost us European football.

Having Ode here next season makes us better dont think we have seen nearly the best of him yet. Its always harder for foreign players to come in & hit the ground running. Harder still on a few months loan to get consistency & into the groove.
Its like i expect Partey to be better next season.

We are stronger with Ode here no doubt.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Controversial but I think MØ is a better player than Mads.

If you flipped it and they were Martin Oddie and Jan Mads Isøn then people would be up in arms about paying 70M rather than 35M than the other.

I think it’s a case of the mystery box. A brand new attacking midfielder could be anything whereas we know what MØ brings.

Yes they’re different attacking midfield types but I think technically and in terms of linking play MØ is clear which I think is what we need more right now. Also he’s still only 22. Once you factor in the transfer fee I think he’s the one to buy.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

View attachment 3818

Edit: I'm comparing him to ESR to try to make sure we aren't comparing his games to trash tier 11's with Willian at 10 for example. I also don't want to allow to many opportunities for selection bas on my behalf so I've included everything within this parameter.
:lol:

You do know Ødegaard played 10 in some of those games you put in the ESR column right? They normally played together which makes this comparison odd. Can't believe I went and checked it too but yeah.

Another reason why the coaching staff reportedly want Ødegaard, those two dovetailed quite nicely together.

I am not sure what you or others really gain from making out Ødegaard to be this detrimental player to the club, there's a good chance we won't even sign the guy?

samspade

:lol:

You do know Ødegaard played 10 in some of those games you put in the ESR column right? They normally played together which makes this comparison odd. Can't believe I went and checked it too but yeah.

Another reason why the coaching staff reportedly want Ødegaard, those two dovetailed quite nicely together.

I am not sure what you or others really gain from making out Ødegaard to be this detrimental player to the club, there's a good chance we won't even sign the guy?
Which one's? Sorry if that's the case.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Would you pay £42.5m for Ødegaard?

If it means we can get a better CM, sure. It brings the whole level of the team up.

Reckon if this gets done, it gets done for less. Though I whould prefer to pay a bit more to avoid any banter buy backs from Madrid.

Reguillon is basically on loan at Sp**s until his buy back expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom