• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Welcome To Arsenal Ben White

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
1 match where he wasnt great and everyone is writing him off already, lets maybe see how he does first, I remember Koscielny not having the best of starts either and the vast majority of people now regard him as a great centreback. Hopefully with a bit more confidence in his role he'll be snapping in to challenges soon.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I said for ages that it was our best formation, Kolasniac got 11 assists from LWB ffs. It fits our personnel perfectly.
I don't necessarily like it. But at the moment with the players we have, it is the best formation for the team.

Any decent forward is going to have his way with Holding, white and Mari in a back two. But a back three somewhat hides their flaw a bit.

Theoretically, a back two of Gabriel and Saliba would have been perfect imo.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Tbf we were all fine with whatever the hell formation Arteta was using until we couldn't buy a win. Crap football on top of L's meant we had to ditch the back three.

Wryer

It's what they get paid big bucks for. As Dennis Rodman said 'I play basketball for free, I get paid for all the other bullshit' I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. He should've stayed at Brighton if he wanted to be small time, he's playing with the big boys now.
No I get your frustration. I love that expression from Rodman as well.

But Ben White didn't exactly have a say in the 50mn isn't it? The reality is, we no longer have the draw to top players. The club is no longer appealing. We have to overpay in some sense to bring in players from the second tier. And that's how I see the Ben White signing. Likely the same for eventual Ramsdale deal as well.

A proven world class player like Varane was never going to come to Arsenal. Not at 40mn, nor at whatever wage he is on. Arsenal will have to pay 50% more to even entice him.

That's the reality the club sits on now. And I still don't think it's fair new players get the stick right after one game. He might turn out crap still - but not now. For the record, I'm equally frustrated with the club and our transfers, but that's a result of our horrendous form which we need to break out of.

kopzilla

Always Negative
I haven't posted on here for quite some time and only followed the PL last season in between with detached interest knowing that there was no point in keeping expectations high.

However, I can't believe that we paid 50m for a defender. Is he like Thuram / Ferdinand kind of player? Lets hope so.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

But Ben White didn't exactly have a say in the 50mn isn't it? The reality is, we no longer have the draw to top players. The club is no longer appealing. We have to overpay in some sense to bring in players from the second tier. And that's how I see the Ben White signing. Likely the same for eventual Ramsdale deal as well.

A proven world class player like Varane was never going to come to Arsenal. Not at 40mn, nor at whatever wage he is on. Arsenal will have to pay 50% more to even entice him.

That's the reality the club sits on now. And I still don't think it's fair new players get the stick right after one game. He might turn out crap still - but not now. For the record, I'm equally frustrated with the club and our transfers, but that's a result of our horrendous form which we need to break out of.
I'm not saying it's fair or right or he deserves it. It's just the reality of playing for a team like Arsenal, you're under more scrutiny and more eyes on you. Just stay at the small clubs if you don't want people to care.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I kind of feel bad for him, because the inflated pricetag puts him in a borderline unwinnable situation. Even if he becomes one of the better CBs in the league but not among the very best, he'll be considered a minor disappointment.

The same thing has been haunting Pépé for two seasons going on three. Was never worth 72 mil, but you have to judge him as a 72 mil player because that's what the investment was.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
1 match where he wasnt great and everyone is writing him off already, lets maybe see how he does first, I remember Koscielny not having the best of starts either and the vast majority of people now regard him as a great centreback. Hopefully with a bit more confidence in his role he'll be snapping in to challenges soon.

I'm not concerned about the Bretford game, if he plays the same for the next 10 games then I'll worry. I watched him in the Sp**s game and thought he was good.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

I think you are confusing transfer fee with wages. To attract a player himself, we need to overpay wages which Arsenal is doing now as you said. Transfer fee is a deal between clubs.

mirrorstare

I haven't posted on here for quite some time and only followed the PL last season in between with detached interest knowing that there was no point in keeping expectations high.

However, I can't believe that we paid 50m for a defender. Is he like Thuram / Ferdinand kind of player? Lets hope so.

So far he's like a Pablo Mari kind of player, small sample size though

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Don't know a lot about Mari. I thought he was injured most of the time.

How good is our Brazilian CB? The one who we signed last season.
Gab is our best defender. He won player of the month twice in a row until he caught Covid and had a rough time getting back into form. Had a pretty solid debut season and really looking for him to kick on this year.

Head&Shoulders

Nice write up about Ben. His character and attitude keeps getting mentioned which is encouraging, talent only goes so far without the right mental attributes.

Means nothing, there were similar articles written about Titus Bramble and that Spuds kid Davenport in many sports magz back in the day.

mirrorstare

Chelsea and City should be good tests, firmly convinced he was just shook because he was surrounded by the tragic performances of Mari and Chambers.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I’m trying to be positive but I think he’s gonna get fisted up by Lukaku. I want to be proven wrong but I don’t see where the power is gonna come from.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis

Latest posts

Top Bottom