• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dušan Vlahović

Which club will Vlahovic end up at?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

City scored 83 goals. They also have some of the best attacking midfielders in the world. Instead of going that route, why not go the much easier route football clubs has gone throughout football. Play a reliable goalyas a striker. City also failed to score in the CL final as they couldn’t break Chelsea’s low block.
Yeah, and Chelsea won the CL and their main guy last season was Timo Werner

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
A striker needs to score goals. I don't care if his link-up play is bad. But a striker who doesn't score is useless.

Inzaghi couldn't controll a ball if his life depended on it, but he could score goals.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yeah, and Chelsea won the CL and their main guy last season was Timo Werner
Chelsea didn’t get near the PL and spent 100 million on lukaku because they realised they needed a proper nr 9. You trying to downplay the importance of a real nr 9

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah because scoring 36 league goals the last 1,5 season only makes you a better backup than Nketiah :lol: Of course getting him would improve our chances of top 4
All I'm saying is that Vlahovic doesn't come here and immediately starts. He'd play a bigger role than Nketiah, but I'm willing to bet that Laca would be the main man for the rest of the season

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I reckon he starts off rip like the rest of Arteta's signings if he comes. Probably does well too knowing Arteta's luck :rolleyes:

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Chelsea didn’t get near the PL and spent 100 million on lukaku because they realised they needed a proper nr 9. You trying to downplay the importance of a real nr 9
No I'm not. I'm saying it's more important to have a balanced team with goals from everywhere than to have a limited number 9

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

A striker needs to score goals. I don't care if his link-up play is bad. But a striker who doesn't score is useless.

Inzaghi couldn't controll a ball if his life depended on it, but he could score goals.
One thing with our fans is most have memory like fish. We have in 20 games 35 league goals. But in 15 games we had 20 goals. 5 rounds ago no one would turn their nose on one of the most prolific nr 9 in the world right now.

But kind fixture list with Norwich and Leeds reserves gave us 9 goals in 2 games and it looks decent.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Auba is a 20+ goal striker, perhaps in decline. Among forwards he is dispossessed the least times per 90 mins in all of Europe over the last year. Not like in the top 1%, he gets dispossessed least out of everyone. He's also in the top 1% for fewest miscontrols.

But he doesn't work out here because his playing style is not what we need.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

One thing with our fans is most have memory like fish. We have in 20 games 35 league goals. But in 15 games we had 20 goals. 5 rounds ago no one would turn their nose on one of the most prolific nr 9 in the world right now.

But kind fixture list with Norwich and Leeds reserves gave us 9 goals in 2 games and it looks decent.
The option is vlahovic, Laca and nketiah. Auba is dead here. 18 games left in the league. I think we will score more goals with vlahovic playing as striker than Laca. More goals improve chances of winning. It’s really that simple

You trying to paint vlahovic as Sunday league level footballer and laca as some sort of creative genius. Can’t you see Laca is physically done and can’t compete with CBs. Vlahovic physical presence in the box alone is game changer for us

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

The option is vlahovic, Laca and nketiah. Auba is dead here. 18 games left in the league. I think we will score more goals with vlahovic playing as striker than Laca. More goals improve chances of winning. It’s really that simple

You trying to paint vlahovic as Sunday league level footballer and laca as some sort of creative genius. Can’t you see Laca is physically done and can’t compete with CBs. Vlahovic physical presence in the box alone is game changer for us
Talking to ourselves again are we? Think you might've forgotten the meds today mate ;)

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
City won the PL last year. Their top scorer was a midfielder on 12 goals (excl PKs).
Utd 2nd, top scorer 11 goals (excl PKs).
Liverpool's top scorer was Salah on 16 non penalty, but he's the exception here.
Chelsea's top scorer had 6 goals.

No team had more than 2 players reach double digits in non-penalty goals. Of course having a good penalty taker will be important as those goals count as well, but it shouldn't be an issue to find someone in this team to take those. Arteta himself was the main taker as a deep cm.

What all of the above teams do is create loads of chances for everyone and not try to find one single player all the time.

I respect your view but I think City are the exception and not the rule, I don't think its really beneficial to compare ourselves to them.

The other two teams were miles off in the league, the end goal for us must be to win the league, that's what we're building towards, and I can't remember a side previously that has done that, bar City, that hasn't had a forward that's getting 20 odd goals.

If Saka/Martinelli were getting 30/40 goals a season between them, then sure go for a different type of player, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

The argument here is the goal by any means architype doesn't work well for us, otherwise Auba or Nketiah would be playing.

The way Arteta plays, a striker with hold up and can bring our attacking midfielders into play would probably be for the best. Not saying Vlahovic can't do this, I don't watch him, but if Arsenal are willing to pay 70 mil or close it, chances are he can.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All joking aside I’m shocked how some people can’t see how desperate we are for a goal scorer. We don’t have one reliable goalscorer and in mid January a midfielder is our top scorer. It’s shocking

Yeah, the thing is I don't see Saka/ESR as guys that will get enough goals for us to compete at the top end of the league. I think Martinelli has that potential, but he's a way off being that guy.

The thing is I think Vlahovic actually has a lot of potential with his back to goal. Has great technique when hitting the ball which I'm sure will translate into his passing (think Kane).

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Auba has better technique, hold up and link up play than this donkey.
Yeah I watched a clip of him that was sent in this thread and his touch was a bit loose tbh but it wasn’t quite Man Utd Lukaku bad. Hopefully he can get it to a serviceable level like Chelsea Lukaku.

Will need to tighten that up but first touch is a natural thing, quite though to see tangible improvement. I’d have more confidence in someone like Isak becoming better at shooting than someone like Lukaku developing a silky first touch. Let’s see what happens.

MauveGunner

The argument here is the goal by any means architype doesn't work well for us, otherwise Auba or Nketiah would be playing.

The way Arteta plays, a striker with hold up and can bring our attacking midfielders into play would probably be for the best. Not saying Vlahovic can't do this, I don't watch him, but if Arsenal are willing to pay 70 mil or close it, chances are he can.
That all depends on tactics, true. But what use is the striker that he has to put the effort in the link-up play when he is 1 step behind in the box to score a goal or not fresh enough to finish his own chance?

All round strikers are rare. Depending on your wingers and midfield is a huge gamble. Sometimes you need to adapt your playing style to make the fullest out of your strikers.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

All round strikers are rare. Depending on your wingers and midfield is a huge gamble. Sometimes you need to adapt your playing style to make the fullest out of your strikers.
This is Arteta's whole MO though, he's not interested in accommodating any attacker, so whoever we sign has to slot in seamlessly.

If it was about adapting our play style to get the most of your strikers, Auba would still be playing and Pepe wouldn't be peripheral. Martinelli wouldn't have been missing for 18 months etc.

I don't think an out and out striker works, cause we have a couple already.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yeah, the thing is I don't see Saka/ESR as guys that will get enough goals for us to compete at the top end of the league. I think Martinelli has that potential, but he's a way off being that guy.

The thing is I think Vlahovic actually has a lot of potential with his back to goal. Has great technique when hitting the ball which I'm sure will translate into his passing (think Kane).
Yeah it’s so unfair to expect the goal burden being carried by these really young attacking midfielders. They are expected to score more than Laca which is crazy because he is dropping so deep he has basically convinced people he is a playmaker now. We spent over 50 million on him to be a goalscorer.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This is Arteta's whole MO though, he's not interested in accommodating any attacker, so whoever we sign has to slot in seamlessly.

If it was about adapting our play style to get the most of your strikers, Auba would still be playing and Pepe wouldn't be peripheral. Martinelli would have been missing for 18 months etc.

So who at Arsenal is chasing Vlahovic and willing to break the bank for him? 75 million is not a fee you pay to take a gamble. Someone at the club must be convinced he is special

Also why can’t Arteta find the striker that suit his unique style football hasn’t seen before? He has Laca and Nketiah rest of the season and both are leaving on free in 6 months

MauveGunner

If it was about adapting our play style to get the most of your strikers, Auba would still be playing and Pepe wouldn't be peripheral. Martinelli would have been missing for 18 months etc.

True. But still, I've never seen Vlahovic play. Only heard of him and seen his stats. And there I see, it's a guy that can score.

I can only hope for a Ramsale / Tomi scanario that he'll be a direct hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom