• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Release Clause Targets: January 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,770
  • Views 287,715

Which CF would you sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Well you can question it because unlike say Basketball or Baseball it’s not a single outcome sport. There are so many tactical and positional variations across every team.

If player A has more progressive passes than player B does that make him a better passer? These are the players with the most progressive passes in the big 5 leagues.

View attachment 5573

So you could look at that and say Bruno is top 10 for playing the ball forward, but when you measure it by progressive distance you get this.

View attachment 5574

Also go back to the first picture, what do almost all the top progressive passers have in common? The vast majority take up deeper positions on the field.

It’s obvious that the further back you are the more forward passes you’ll have. You can say going off that first stat that Bruno is a better forward passer than KDB, Raphinha or Bernardo Silva which obviously isn’t true.

I’ve never watched Bruno play. I don’t know whether he’s just playing 5 yard forward passes to another midfielder or he’s capable of more.

All I’m saying that for midfielders, these types of stats are at the mercy of things like how a team plays or the position of the player. You can’t look at a chart and say x player is better than y. It’s too reductive.

But if you combine the fact he has high progressive passing stats with the fact he has good xG contribution stats, you draw the conclusion he’s passing the ball forward in a useful way i.e he’s a good passer, not just a 5 yard merchant.

Also, on the first chart, what do many have them have in common? A lot of them are very damn good players.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

But if you combine the fact he has high progressive passing stats with the fact he has good xG contribution stats, you draw the conclusion he’s passing the ball forward in a useful way i.e he’s a good passer, not just a 5 yard merchant.

Also, on the first chart, what do many have them have in common? A lot of them are very damn good players.

Yeah but again his build up stats for xG are lower than Xhaka and Guendo so it seems like you’re linking two different stats that aren’t that closely related.

Yes the first chart has very good players but how many teams look to play lots of short progressive passes through midfield? We don’t really play that way.

I’m not saying he’s a 5 yard merchant at all but without watching him play you can’t really gauge anything about him.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White
FIxBwdPXwAM3M2H

Better vision + better passer + better defensively, for me its a no-brainer.

HaffBR

In Ligue 1 a slower paced league Xhaka would probably match those stats

He will match Kimmich in Bundesliga, Locatelli in Serie A and Kroos in La Liga too... take a note dude, Xhaka is a mediocre EPL player brother, nothing more... and he would be mediocre in whatever league in the world.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
He will match Kimmich in Bundesliga, Locatelli in Serie A and Kroos in La Liga too... take a note dude, Xhaka is a mediocre EPL player brother, nothing more... and he would be mediocre in whatever league in the world.
but the stats would show he's as good...if not better....

HaffBR

but the stats would show he's as good...if not better....

Speculation. I give you that the average EPL player would improve their stats in around 10-15% in the Ligue 1, but Xhaka would need 50% to be on Guimarães level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom