• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2022/23

Do you believe we can win the Premier League?

• Total voters

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Did you not say that the matches will take their strain on City and that extra matches will make winning the league more difficult for them?
Yes I said that strain always affects at different levels. And injuries can happen because of more games that are difficult games, which the history can't predict at all.

Your comment was about City throwing away EPL or UCL like a proper strawman argument. Oh my god.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yes I said that strain always affects at different levels. And injuries can happen because of more difficult games, which the history can't predict at all.

Your comment was about City throwing away EPL or UCL like a proper strawman argument. Oh my god.
No, initially someone said Pep will take his eye of the league because he wants to win the league. Which is what I replied with saying that Champions don't do that. Real winners don't.

Then you said about strain playing a part in Cities season. That extra matches will/should impact them. However many have used Cities strength and depth as an argument against that.

Personally I don't believe we will see any drop of in City based on their CL or FA cup participation.

Time will tell. But if we want to win the league it will be down to us winning almost all our remaining games. Not City losing 2 or 3 games in between matches against Bayern.

We can look back in a few months at this stupid Friday night discussion to see what transpired. It will be interesting and you may well be right. Had you had some previous evidence that City dropped more points between CL games etc that would have made me think....he/she may have a point. But you couldn't.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

No, initially someone said Pep will take his eye of the league because he wants to win the league. Which is what I replied with saying that Champions don't do that. Real winners don't.

Then you said about strain playing a part in Cities season. That extra matches will/should impact them. However many have used Cities strength and depth as an argument against that.

Personally I don't believe we will see any drop of in City based on their CL or FA cup participation.

Time will tell. But if we want to win the league it will be down to us winning almost all our remaining games. Not City losing 2 or 3 games in between matches against Bayern.

We can look back in a few months at this stupid Friday night discussion to see what transpired. It will be interesting and you may well be right. Had you had some previous evidence that City dropped more points between CL games etc that would have made me think....he/she may have a point. But you couldn't.
You should not assume me writing about Brighton match being possibly postponed being related in any way with what you argue with others.

I already said we can't know what effect it has had in the past. It's impossible to tell such a hypothetical situation. Common sense tells us that strain always affects at some level, not sure how you can deny that.

For me that is a fact. More strain does not help, apart from being more match sharp. But if you play like every 3 days, it's not good, it's worse. I think maybe 5 days might be optimal.

What is certain is that when you have more tough games, you will get injured more easily by fouls or strain or combination. That is an undeniable fact and cannot be predicted on the past.

Now I have repeated my points enough times so I hope you get it and don't use strawmans anymore, and look carefully who has said what.

Synical

Miss Superstitious

The problem here is that journalists know that Jesus has been out for 3 months. They know we played many games without Partey. Why wouldn't they counter his stupid reaction with another question? A three year old could do a better job than the people sitting there ffs.
Welcome to the British media. They do the same with our government

TornadoTed

Established Member
I'm saying that people are using Cities extra games and involvement as something that will be a negative to them.

I'm simply asking has it been a negative in the past?

As that would give us abit of substance to the idea.

When City went out in the group stages or last 16, did they win or lose more league games?

When they got to the semis or final, did their PPG in the PL suffer?
It hasn't been much of a problem in the past but that was then, this City squad has the least depth of any I have seen in the last decade.

They have swapped the likes of Jesus, Zinchenko and Sterling for Gomez, Alvarez and Phillips. A couple of injuries and they have as big a step down in quality as we have to our squadies. Actually I would actually take Tierney, Jorginho and Trossard over those three.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
I'm only asking a question. Has City ever shown the latter stages of the CL affecting their league form?

They've not really ever been in a situation where they were in the latter stages of the CL plus chasing the title from second place.

Under Pep they've only been past the QFs once, and that was in 20/21 when they reached (and lost) the final. They won the league and league cup that season, and got to the semis of the FA Cup. That was the year they won 15 league matches on the trot from December and could afford to take the foot off the pedal in the league.

But in their final 11 league games they did drop 12 points in 4 defeats. Two of those defeats came after a CL match: a 2-1 home defeat to Leeds after the CL QF 1st Leg and a 2-1 home defeat to Chelsea after the CL SF 2nd Leg. They also lost the FA Cup semi final to Chelsea straight after the CL QF 2nd leg.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You should not assume me writing about Brighton match being possibly postponed being related in any way with what you argue with others.

I already said we can't know what effect it has had in the past. It's impossible to tell such a hypothetical situation. Common sense tells us that strain always affects at some level, not sure how you can deny that.

For me that is a fact. More strain does not help, apart from being more match sharp. But if you play like every 3 days, it's not good, it's worse. I think maybe 5 days might be optimal.

What is certain is that when you have more tough games, you will get injured more easily by fouls or strain or combination. That is an undeniable fact and cannot be predicted on the past.

Now I have repeated my points enough times so I hope you get it and don't use strawmans anymore, and look carefully who has said what.
That was a lot of writing to say you have no evidence that City will fold under more matches.

Anyway....both you and I have better things to be doing on our Friday nights. Hopefully City experience more strain and this weekend against Burnley. Not that they will actually have to play their best players to win. So they will have a full couple of weeks rest in terms of club football before Liverpool.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
They've not really ever been in a situation where they were in the latter stages of the CL plus chasing the title from second place.

Under Pep they've only been past the QFs once, and that was in 20/21 when they reached (and lost) the final. They won the league and league cup that season, and got to the semis of the FA Cup. That was the year they won 15 league matches on the trot from December and could afford to take the foot off the pedal in the league.

But in their final 11 league games they did drop 12 points in 4 defeats. Two of those defeats came after a CL match: a 2-1 home defeat to Leeds after the CL QF 1st Leg and a 2-1 home defeat to Chelsea after the CL SF 2nd Leg. They also lost the FA Cup semi final to Chelsea straight after the CL QF 2nd leg.
Thats exactly the kind of homework I love to see. Good work mate. Hopefully they get a narrow, hard fought, injury filled win against Bayern.

I think we will need 25 points out of the remaining 11 games to win it.

Mohamed7

So the person who said, Pep will or looks like he is sacrificing rhe league to win the CL is talking rubbish.

My point was Pep doesn't sacrifice anything.
Funny you say that!

I vividly remember Pep benching a number of key players against Liverpool FA Cup Semifinal last season, and he got trashed in the first half 3-0. Only when he sub-ed them on later, they got two goals back.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Perfect scenario for a PL run in apart for a couple of injuries.

We know we have 11 games to play without any unknown complexities or squad balancing acts. We can take each game at full tilt with maximum preparation time and no international travel. In contrast, City might have to play up to 20 games across multiple competitions and countries.

If we don't win it, we don't win it, but what a perfect opportunity from a preparation perspective.

Mohamed7

One question.

Don't City always have loads of fixtures every year in March/April.

How many times has getting to the semi final or CL final really had a telling influence on their PL form.

A lot of people talk about Cities extra games. But this is a team used to playing 60 games a season. Why would it really phase them?

I never remember City having a period in March or April when they lose say 3 games in a row. Or even say take 1 point from 9 in between CL games.

I think a lot of people have abit of wishful thinking going on.

There's nothing to suggest City don't beat a Brighton after Bayern.
You are right but also know City does not play with the same eleven every three days. They basically had Jesus, Zinny, Grealish, Sterling, Fernandinho, Ake, and Stones on the bench for rotations. LOL. They have about 17-18 top quality players which can easily rotate and still beat majority of teams without much sweat.

We have 12 quality players and any changes more than one significantly endangers the match outcome. Look how we struggled in EL since the first match with rotational players.

Our only hope in winning the title is playing our first eleven not only in every match but majority of game minutes. We need them to be fully rested before and after because, like I said above, we don’t have the bench to rotate or make in-game subs to influence the outcome.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
You've read many comments by me slagging off our club?

When?

I need receipts and evidence mate. Go find them and post them. If you don't please apologise for your statement.

Champions do not forfeit things. Usain Bolt didn't lose the 200m to win the 100m.

Phelps didn't forfeit one of his competitions before winning 5 gold medals.

Champions do not forfeit competitions.

Pep is a champion. He will not throw away the league for the CL. It isn't in his blood.
Nah I’m good without finding your receipts :lol:

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

If we win, that’s me done, it’s come full circle, I’ll have my closure.

This could be my last 6/7 weeks on AM.

Think it’s best for you mate. I know how hard this summer will be for you trying to get your level 2 Kabaddi coaching licence. Would love to see you pioneering The India to a world title one day.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Mainly over the ****ing kick to the nuts that Europa defeat was now, ready for this end to the season battle now!

It isn't gonna be easy, City are still the favs...but we are in a great position to put some real pressure on tomorrow, being out of every other competition this early evens out the experience difference in the two squads too (as they have a lot to focus on this season, not just the league)

As I said before, this is probably what the title fight in 1989 was like.

No title for about 2 decades, up against the consistent winner of the league, no real expectations pre season, managed by an ex player trying to make his name as a coach, etc.

Legends of this club like Tony Adams and David Rocastle was just good players in our history pre that season, these last few months could easily be the launching pad for some of our current players to status like that.

Let's dust ourselves off after that defeat on Thursday, smash Palace tomorrow and really go for this championship after the international break.

As #number14 is right there waiting for us, COYG!!!

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Mainly over the ****ing kick to the nuts that Europa defeat was now, ready for this end to the season battle now!

It isn't gonna be easy, City are still the favs...but we are in a great position to put some real pressure on tomorrow, being out of every other competition this early evens out the experience difference in the two squads too (as they have a lot to focus on this season, not just the league)

As I said before, this is probably what the title fight in 1989 was like.

No title for about 2 decades, up against the consistent winner of the league, no real expectations pre season, managed by an ex player trying to make his name as a coach, etc.

Legends of this club like Tony Adams and David Rocastle was just good players in our history pre that season, these last few months could easily be the launching pad for some of our current players to status like that.

Let's dust ourselves off after that defeat on Thursday, smash Palace tomorrow and really go for this championship after the international break.

As #number14 is right there waiting for us, COYG!!!
Yeah a lot of similarities with 89. A young team competing against a behemoth (City now, Liverpool then) who had dominated the league.

That team held its nerve when push came to shove and gave us the greatest night in the club’s history. Let’s hope these lads can do the same once again.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough

Latest posts

Top Bottom