• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who has 'the gift'?

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
RVP, if not for the injuries he'd be a perennial ballon d'or contender

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Carlos Vela was actually such a baller. Filthy tekkers.

Can’t believe he never put it together here. Was balling out in La Liga when it was a definite step up from the PL.
He didn’t love the sport and lacked professionalism from a young age:
"Being 16 years old, and training with [Thierry] Henry, [Cesc] FÃ bregas, my heroes, it was like a dream," Vela says. "Henry gave me his signed jersey, and I still have the picture I took with him."

But because Vela has yet to play with the adult national team, and does not have a European Union passport, he could not get a work permit for the Premier League. So he was loaned out to Celta de Vigo, which was not able to use him in La Liga because it had too many foreign players on its roster.

Salamanca would have to do, and the dream of playing in one of the best two leagues in the world would have to wait. "I want to play in first division," says Vela. "I don't care if it's in Spain or at Arsenal."

As it turns out, Salamanca was the ideal place for Velita to mature. Being far removed from the Mexican media and the pressures of a first-division side allowed him to remain a teenager at heart while transitioning into adulthood.

For instance, in the land of the famous Iberian ham, he still preferred to eat at McDonald's or order pizza; sometimes he would stay up until the wee hours of the morning under the spell of the Winning Eleven soccer game for PlayStation; he'll even admit he was too lazy to study for his driver's license, forcing teammate Braulio to be his personal driver; by the same token, he has also struggled trying to learn English.
Still had a decent career but if he really tried, he could’ve been special.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

We had some amazing players during our barren period that we probably didn't quite realise how good they were. Wenger just knew how to spot them. No one in this current team but I think generally the sport is lacking in those individually brilliant players a bit now.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
In terms of effortless technical ability I'd probably put Özil, Santi, RVP and Bergkamp at the top in no particular order. All 4 had things they did better than the others.

Think RVP in general is bit underrated when discussing technical ability. It's not like he had much else going for him, not super quick or strong, decent size but hardly deadly in the air etc. Was all mental and technical ability with him.

If I had to pick one it'd probably be Santi, with the tiebreaker being his ability to use both feet equally.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He didn’t love the sport and lacked professionalism from a young age:

Still had a decent career but if he really tried, he could’ve been special.

Our Taarabt in a way. In those EFL cup games he was majestic technically.

Could’ve been such a world class player.

• Goal
Reactions: A_G

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
You know you've had some ballers btw when players like Henry hardly get mentioned, dude was incredible on a technical level, scored some of the best goals in PL history. His famous volley after lifting it up to himself with his back to goal is literally insanely difficult to pull off in a practice environment with no other players around you.

Literally known for placing the ball just inside the post as well consistently, which requires elite technical ability to pull off the way he did.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Nobody from any post Wenger team mentioned. Interesting.

Tbf the players mentioned are also fairly spread out in terms of when they played. No doubt there was generally a bigger emphasis on technical ability above everything else under Wenger though, to the point where it was basically daily posting on here to scream for more physicality in the team.

I think a lot of those Wenger teams would've been more successful if you sacrificed some of the tekkers for more physicality. Think we actually saw that with the 07/08 team, had a good amount of crazy athletes in that team combined with some proper ballers. It all became a bit soft at times after that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
One from pre Wenger I wish I got to see was David Rocastle, the way players who played with him talk about him... special talent.

Also Liam Brady too, tbh ..back in the days when trying to play football got in the way of everyone kicking the **** out of eachother 😅

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
One from pre Wenger I wish I got to see was David Rocastle, the way players who played with him talk about him... special talent.

Also Liam Brady too, tbh ..back in the days when trying to play football got in the way of everyone kicking the **** out of eachother 😅
If A-M existed at the time, I reckon you would’ve been there hyping up Eddie McGoldrick to show you’re a better fan than everyone else.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Because these are the worst Arsenal teams EVER.

In some ways. This current iteration is actually one of the most boring I’ve ever seen BUT it is still better than some of the poverty sides I’ve seen Wenger put out.

I was really happy when the Sanchez and Özil type players started coming in again I wish we made more of that period.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom