• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Iceman10

Established Member
Rex Banner said:
If it is 3 months, I'd pay the money for Falcao even if on loan. I rate him long term but Sanogo as our only fit striker would be a nightmare.

Monaco being willing to loan Falcao out doesn't seem to add up based on James Rodriguez having gone to RM and Monaco not having much in the way of backup for CF apart from Berbatov, esp. when they have CL football this season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He wants out apparently, he was told he'd only have to spend one year in Monaco as Real would definitely buy him this year as they can't buy direct from Atletico. All arranged with Mendes, Fiorentino and Rybolovlev apparently beforehand.

Then he did his ACL in and Real were understandably hesitant about going back in for him, they wanted him to prove himself in pre-season and early Ligue 1 games. Then James had that ridiculous WC and became their No. 1 target.

Now the story is Falcao wants out as the club looks to be stagnating, Rybolovlev just paid out a $1 billion divorce settlement apparently so he could cut the operating budget. He's good mates with Alexis, so if/when we qualify on Wednesday hopefully we can sell him on that.

Iceman10

Established Member
The owner of Monaco is a Russian oligarch (Dmitry Rybolovlev), the type that not only gets into this kind of thing to have a club as a plaything but also to maintain a high profile as a form of protection. He's had a couple of stumbles recently though, involved in banking in Cyprus when the economy there went belly up, and a messy expensive divorce. It is interesting that he's turned a large profit on James Rodriguez and hasn't spent much at all this summer, so maybe his ambition has seriously subsided.

Edit: whoops, Rex, you've covered it already, was typing this out while you had already replied.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Thanks. That all sounds saucy.

Falcao's my favourite striker since Henry. I wouldn't hesitate at all if we could get him on a loan for even £15m, but I can't see Wenger going for a deal like that on principal.

Paying ~£45m for a permanent deal would seem a non-starter for this club, though. He's 28 and had an ACL injury.

Iceman10

Established Member
Having thought it through, esp. re. Rybolovlev and ambitions having taken a knock, the loan deal sounds more viable. Rybolovlev won't exactly be a popular man with Prince Albert and the Principality of Monaco right now though, he's definitely curtailing his ambitions when they have broken back into the CL, and it's a turn of events from the vision he likely sold to everyone before taking over the club, inc. a rivalry with PSG, etc.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Also the most intriguing thing for me was, although it could well be just a reason apart from the money to go to Monaco, in his first press conference at Monaco he said he wanted to follow in the footsteps of his idol Thierry Henry. I doubt he'd push for a move specifically to us, but if anyone could persuade him, it's the man who made Henry's career.

wishful_llama

If we pony up a bid in the €40m range for Falcao I can see Monaco being willing to let him go. They've had a pretty expensive last year with their owner's divorce and the €50m fee they had to pay Ligue 1 to keep them registered in the division for the next 2 years. Plus Falcao is coming off his ACL injury and his market value won't be as high as it was 12 months ago.

If we are serious about challenging/winning the title this season Arsène should go for it.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wenger doesn't rate the chances of Falcao coming back to his best. He said as much when speaking about Theo's prognosis: "When you’re over 29 you never come back exactly the same but if you’re 25 to 28 you come back to the level you had before. He will come back as good as ever"

Falcao is 28 and a half. Will he think 6 months will make a huge difference? A loan would be good.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The one silver lining would be Falcao never really had a pace based game, he's built a career in coming alive around the 18 yard box and probably being the most clinical finisher in world football.

The Podolski sale would essentially pay for the loan fee itself if it were to happen.

trunks206

Established Member
Rex Banner said:
The one silver lining would be Falcao never really had a pace based game, he's built a career in coming alive around the 18 yard box and probably being the most clinical finisher in world football.

The Podolski sale would essentially pay for the loan fee itself if it were to happen.

Podolski out ->fees cover Falcao in on loan ->Space and wages free for Reus next summer. Sorted. :bounce

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Falcao has the best off-the-ball movement in the world. A player who can make space for himself is as good, if not better, than a speed merchant.

Pursestrings's two seasons as one of the best CFs in the world is testament to that.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I can't see Wenger paying 20m for a player coming back from injury as good as he is. In comparison Özil cost's us just over 7m a year. You can add 5m a year on the fee over say 8 years. That's 13m a year for our record signing. Are we going to go so much higher on a player who might get injured again within that year? I doubt it.

Floating

Established Member
A DM out of the blue that could fit the bill: Christoph Kramer. He's 23, 6'3", plays in the Bundesliga and has 5 caps for Germany.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
He's on loan at Gladbach. Also sounds like a thick, major **** to be honest, said in a recent interview that he doesn't care about his contract at Leverkusen, if he doesn't want to return he simply won't, complained about being the victim of modern day slavery etc.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
In:

CB - Reid or Curtis Davies - both able to come in and do a solid job at premier league level instantly and would relish the step up. 8-10m

CM - Arteta is captain, Diaby could surprise us all and I have gotten over the idea of Khedira. Lets bringin a young gun who can displace Arteta slowly. My choice now is Rabiot as he is mobile, tall and can pass it about, he can really grow into this tea, (15m). I do like Carvalho and he would be a more expensive and more awkward 2nd choice (25m).

FWD - Lets not F around here our attack looks surprisingly blunt so lets inject some brilliance. My first choice would be Falcao on loan for dual purposes as 1. It would act as an expensive trial with potential huge dividends i.e. trophies and the chance to look at a permanent deal for player and club and 2. It could buy us time for my second option of MarcO Reus who could be available next summer where his price drops and Sanchez has had a year to adapt.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Does Reus actually have an active clause right now? Seems to be various conflicting reports with alot of guess work. Quite a few reports say he currently has a clause of 35M Euro but drops to 20-25M in January/July.

Even at 35M Euro it's a bargain, would of thought some of the smaller 'elite' teams would be going for him now.

thedon5

Sokratis and Rabiot wrapped up in the next couple of days, then a surprise attacking signing in the last couple of days like last season. Would be a dream.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom