• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
That's another thing, Mourinho's teams are praised by pundits for winning ugly when they don't play well. We're just lucky to win.
Those teams that won ugly usually assert a certain level of control over proceedings with or without the ball in whatever tactical set up.

Last nights first half performance along with most of it was down to poor technical and tactical calls.The lethargy and why we seemed more indecisive, unmotivated, a few steps behind compared to Soton was another matter of concern also down to Wenger but.... You observed without watching that we passed poorly, right? The reasons were the starting position of Mustafi should have swapped with Holdings, the roles of a few of the players should have been altered and most importantly the positional play. If you are well structured and the players are in the right position passers will find them.

I can't understand how a team like Southampton seem better structured, organized,smoother and play more assertive. I know Puel is a talented manager who has coached in the CL level but the resources at his disposal is way below that of Arsène. Why are there such telling differences? Its not the first match this season that it has looked like this and not just this season where the opposition manage a much better game in a few aspects that should be second nature to our play given our resources.

That said I've talked plenty of serious stuff over football of recent and it bores me to death. Goodnight.

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
The mental acrobatics some people use to beat Wenger with are hilarious.

It's hard to be objective,but saying that we'll get better next season just because Wenger change formation and we somehow started to play some good stuff is delusional.Experience showed us that.

notafan

The fact that Arsenal have been playing better in the last few games - or at least getting better results - may have less to do with formations (although that may play a part), than with the fact that the pressure is now largely off. A few games ago, it seemed that the chance of a top 4 spot was remote. At that point the team started to win games regularly.

And now because Liverpool and ManCity have faltered, there is a possibility that you might get top 4 after all. But it's still really in the other teams' courts. You need at least one of them to muck up for you to achieve Arsène's goal. I expect you to go on playing relatively well, and winning, as long as that's the case.

What I am suggesting is that the Arsenal of today seem good at winning games in the early and/or middle parts of the season, when there is less pressure, and at the very end of the season, when winning the EPL or the CL are no longer an option. When the pressure is on, and winning is vital for your EPL and/or CL hopes, your form collapses. Apparently because, as Wenger has often asserted recently, the players haven't been mentally ready to play these big games. Why?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Those teams that won ugly usually assert a certain level of control over proceedings with or without the ball in whatever tactical set up.

Last nights first half performance along with most of it was down to poor technical and tactical calls.T he lethargy and why we seemed more indecisive, unmotivated, a few steps behind compared to Soton was another matter of concern also down to Wenger but.... You observed without watching that we passed poorly, right? The reasons were the starting position of Mustafi should have swapped with Holdings, the roles of a few of the players should have been altered and most importantly the positional play. If you are well structured and the players are in the right position passers like will find them.

I can't understand how a team like Southampton seem better structured, organized,smoother and play more assertive. I know Puel is a talented manager who has coached in the CL level but the resources at his disposal is way below that of Arséne. Why are there such telling differences? Its not the first match this season that it has looked like this and not just this season where the opposition manage a much better game in a few aspects that should be second nature to our play given our resources.

That said I've talked plenty of serious stuff over football of recent and it bores me to death. Goodnight.
Well at least we had enough control over proceedings to end Mourinho's 25 game unbeaten run. Not bad for a team without tactics.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
The fact that Arsenal have been playing better in the last few games - or at least getting better results - may have less to do with formations (although that may play a part), than with the fact that the pressure is now largely off. A few games ago, it seemed that the chance of a top 4 spot was remote. At that point the team started to win games regularly.

And now because Liverpool and ManCity have faltered, there is a possibility that you might get top 4 after all. But it's still really in the other teams' courts. You need at least one of them to muck up for you to achieve Arséne's goal. I expect you to go on playing relatively well, and winning, as long as that's the case.

What I am suggesting is that the Arsenal of today seem good at winning games in the early and/or middle parts of the season, when there is less pressure, and at the very end of the season, when winning the EPL or the CL are no longer an option. When the pressure is on, and winning is vital for your EPL and/or CL hopes, your form collapses. Apparently because, as Wenger has often asserted recently, the players haven't been mentally ready to play these big games. Why?
Because they're not expensive enough.

Elwood

It's hard to be objective,but saying that we'll get better next season just because Wenger change formation and we somehow started to play some good stuff is delusional.Experience showed us that.
Why? When's the last time he changed formation? It just might work, who knows? If he's staying anyway, I'm glad at least something's changed.

mm76

Yer Da

Last nights first half performance along with most of it was down to poor technical and tactical calls.T he lethargy and why we seemed more indecisive, unmotivated, a few steps behind compared to Soton was another matter of concern also down to Wenger but.... You observed without watching that we passed poorly, right? The reasons were the starting position of Mustafi should have swapped with Holdings, the roles of a few of the players should have been altered and most importantly the positional play. If you are well structured and the players are in the right position passers like will find them.

I can't understand how a team like Southampton seem better structured, organized,smoother and play more assertive. I know Puel is a talented manager who has coached in the CL level but the resources at his disposal is way below that of Arséne. Why are there such telling differences? Its not the first match this season that it has looked like this and not just this season where the opposition manage a much better game in a few aspects that should be second nature to our play given our resources.

Well don't stop, another well-thought out post :)

NEWMAN123

Aaaaaand we've come full circle now. Fans contradicting themselves to protect Wenger. What was once a saving grace of Wenger; the opposite is now a saving grace of Wenger. :lol:

blaze_of_glory

Don't know why I'm posting this, it's by Jeremy Wilson so probably just made up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...l-Arsène-wenger-have-no-plans-restrict-power/

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why? When's the last time he changed formation? It just might work, who knows? If he's staying anyway, I'm glad at least something's changed.

He changed to 4-3-3 this season which just made things worse? And back in 2014/2015 he changed to 4-1-4-1 which was disastrous. There's no such thing as a formation which is magic sauce and cures all problems, the switch to a back 3 has made our defense better but our attack has been worse. It's a necessity and should have been done earlier, but do you seriously think it is enough to make us title contenders anytime soon?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough.
Which arguments do you not accept?
What I was referring to was the criticising of Wenger for the old formation but then giving zero credit for the new one because "he was forced to make the change".

It's a common theme with tactics discussion around Wenger. Losses are often somewhat down to his poor tactics but wins are never attributed to him, his choices. His trust in the players is used to show they were the reason we won but then conversely it's his fault when we lose because he trusted the players.

This is only some people I'm referring to.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Ha! Responded all morning, but it's not easy to explain probability to someone who thinks that deuce is the stuff tennis players drink between games. :p
No you didn't. I stated that a season is a game by game affair and that squad cost on the day means nothing. You then went off on some tangent about the probability of ricochets and bad reffing decisions. Are you ****ing joking with these responses. You are still avoiding the question. How the **** do you work out probability of bad reffing decisions and what the **** does that have to do with squad cost.

scytheavatar

Established Member
What I was referring to was the criticising of Wenger for the old formation but then giving zero credit for the new one because "he was forced to make the change".

It's a common theme with tactics discussion around Wenger. Losses are often somewhat down to his poor tactics but wins are never attributed to him, his choices. His trust in the players is used to show they were the reason we won but then conversely it's his fault when we lose because he trusted the players.

If we are a big club, if we want to win trophies then winning should be the norm and minimum standard, and losses unacceptable. Let's not pretend that the switch to the back 3 has made us look like we are an equal to Chelsea. Or Sp**s.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Welcome to the Piers Morgan school of logic.

Last season Wenger had the best defence in the league by clean sheets, goals conceded and Squawka/ Opta score. But still his critics said we were frail and clueless. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom