• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Laurent Koscielny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
All of these things happened under Wenger, and if not getting battered in the final it's the last 16. Let's not start acting like it was much different under Arsène.

I like that we're not letting players get away with anything, Özil treated Arsène like a mug always going off on illness and never trying away from home. We needed someone to reel him in.
Batman must have been stuck in his cave without broadband all those years.
Is he having a laugh? He’s playing with one Achilles. How many big games has he gone off “injured”? We’re perfectly within our rights to offer him an appearance based contract.

So disappointed in his lack of professionalism. Of all our players I least expected it from Kos. What a daft way to end his tenure here. This will leave a sour taste in everyone’s mouth.

Yeah, the more I read, the more Kos is coming across like an unreasonable ****. More the fool us for thinking footballers are anything else these days.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

5-1 is what Liverpool beat us by at Christmas.

And Chelsea beat us 4-1 in the Europa ffs, could easily have been 5-1.

Without investment this club is only going one way. And has been since Kroenke took over. Wenger kept us in the game for a few years, but this isn’t about managers/coaches, as we’ll all see when the next couple have come and gone.

Yeah I got an idea let's get relegated so it doesn't happen again :lol:. We'll be fine though just need a little help in the market .

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

Yeah it's weird , it's what happens when you get older , why sign it if you didn't like the terms . I'll reserve judgement till I fully understand better .
Well he signed the deal he did like, now won’t sign the new one on offer as he just wants an extension of his current terms (apparently). But for some reason thinks the club should just let him go because he has a better offer elsewhere.

Still think there’s more to this, like being told he could leave and then going back on it. It all seems so unlike him but maybe he’s just not who we thought.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Well he signed the deal he did like, now won’t sign the new one on offer as he just wants an extension of his current terms (apparently). But for some reason thinks the club should just let him go because he has a better offer elsewhere.

Still think there’s more to this, like being told he could leave and then going back on it. It all seems so unlike him but maybe he’s just not who we thought.

That has been my thought as well. Of all players, Kos is the last one I would have picked to take that stance. There may be more to this story, as you said.

boyinneedofhumor

I'm somewhat lost here...

Did he demand to be released, or did he ask that a bid for him be accepted?

Released = win for him, win for the next club, and utter loss and embarrassment for Arsenal.
(Actually, not necessarily. Another way to view it is that, he's a joke if he can't even get his agent to convince another club to put in a bid for him and have to resort to that to be released. Unless there were some promises that were reneged).

Accept a bid = a difference in buyer/seller's valuation of the player/importance.
And I'd like to think it's a saving grace for all 3 parties that way.

His behaviour might make it appear he's "no different" from ... ... ... Alexis.
(There was at least some bid where the latter was concerned).

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
so Arsenal want Kos to play another year at 90K pw or want him to be sold for a fee. A fee for a 34yr old injured veteran defender. In either case, the club doesnt really gain much. They make it clear to him that if he takes the option of seeing out another year at 90k, then they will schlep him around USA and overplay him.

It does seem a termination of the contract is in everyones best interest. Sure, Arsenal would lose a bit of a transfer fee, but would that amount really be worth anything much?

boyinneedofhumor

@arsenefc,

Can understand if he feels the offer from the club isnt satisfactory. Hence, I have suggested he gets his agent to work behind the scenes with another club to put in a bid.

No, I'm unsure if club views him casually as a "34yo injured veteran defender... termination of contract".
Trying to recall if e.g. Cazorla, Ramsey or Welbeck left before end of contract. Did Diaby leave early? *You're really testing my memory here*.

(Say if Kos manages to put on an impressive last season before retirement but after leaving Arsenal, how would that turn out for Emery + Edu + *insert names*?)

Not trying to discredit what you've put forth. But do feel your last sentence isn't that easy to answer.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
@arsenefc,

Can understand if he feels the offer from the club isnt satisfactory. Hence, I have suggested he gets his agent to work behind the scenes with another club to put in a bid.

No, I'm unsure if club views him casually as a "34yo injured veteran defender... termination of contract".
Trying to recall if e.g. Cazorla, Ramsey or Welbeck left before end of contract. Did Diaby leave early? *You're really testing my memory here*.

(Say if Kos manages to put on an impressive last season before retirement but after leaving Arsenal, how would that turn out for Emery + Edu + *insert names*?)

Not trying to discredit what you've put forth. But do feel your last sentence isn't that easy to answer.

I just meant that of all the options, mutual termination of contract was not the worst, and there was very little potential downside. It could have been managed better.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That has been my thought as well. Of all players, Kos is the last one I would have picked to take that stance. There may be more to this story, as you said.
Most likely scenario is they hinted he could leave, but have since changed their minds.

Strapped for cash and not being able to move Mustafi on means we probably desperately need Kos for a last season.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I kind of understand why he is pissed off. We offered flamin a 3 year contract when he couldn't even get anywhere near first team. Arteta overstsyed, same as Per. Don't get me started about jenkison. Those deals would have fooled me into thinking Arsenal is a charity that keeps giving. It definitely fooled Kos, he is not the sharpest tool in the box. Remember his comments about the French world cup that he missed, they portrayed him as a truly bitter individual.

Yeah he gets no sympathy from me whatsoever. We plucked this guy from obscurity and made him a French international and obviously a very rich man. Like I said, his achilles is a ticking time bomb and his tendency to go off in big games means he was in no position to demand any sort of deal.

The ONE time something doesn’t go his way during his stay here, and he reacts like this? It’s funny you mention his comments about France, maybe he is an incredibly bitter person. He’s definitely getting a bit too big for his boots.

He’s ****ed whatever legacy he had here.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Yeah he gets no sympathy from me whatsoever. We plucked this guy from obscurity and made him a French international and obviously a very rich man. Like I said, his achilles is a ticking time bomb and his tendency to go off in big games means he was in no position to demand any sort of deal.

The ONE time something doesn’t go his way during his stay here, and he reacts like this? It’s funny you mention his comments about France, maybe he is an incredibly bitter person. He’s definitely getting a bit too big for his boots.

He’s ****ed whatever legacy he had here.

No, he really hasn't. The likes of Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini and Nasri achieved far less here and did far worse (Refusing to attend the final game of the season, eating ice cream with Milan reps the night before a big CL game) and are still spoken of fondly on here.

Sure, we plucked him from obscurity but we also plucked Yaya Sanogo, Park Chu Young, Inamoto, Andre Santos, Denilson and a whole host of others out of obscurity. Where are they now? We gave Kos the platform and he took full advantage by putting in stellar performances season after season. We didn't make him a French International, that was 50/50. If Kos wasn't a good player, he never would have made the French National Team.

Wouldn't you be bitter if you were in his shoes? I'm sure Benzema, Rabiot and everyone else who missed out are also bitter. I can guarantee you a part of Gerrard and Carragher will be slightly bitter when Liverpool win the premier league because they couldn't do it in their playing days. It's human nature, these guys aren't robots.

I think the nine years of service, his age and three FA Cups gives him a bit of leeway. I'm all for the club making a stand and putting their foot down, but you can't just do things on paper without looking at the circumstances. Arsenal is a business, but it's compromised of people and what do we lose by acquiescing to Kos's demands?

He isn't asking to go to Man United because of the little boy inside him. He isn't going on strike to secure a move to Barcelona only to play for Chelsea a few years later while pretending to love the club. Nor is he running down his deal to leave for AC Milan on a free. He isn't hitching up his skirts and demanding a move to Chelsea after saying he would welcome competition. He's not 24-26 years old making Beyonce analogies or engineering a move to Man City

He's 33 years old and wants to go to a smaller club in Ligue 1 because his body can't take it or whatever his reasons are. We lose out on a few million quid. So what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom