• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4-2-3-1: We need to adjust tactically for midfield to work

Nela

Established Member
Anzac said:
So regardless of the starting formation does anyone think that AW has changed anything in regards to our style/tactics/patterns or whatever you want to call it?
He's clearly changed the way our team is formed IMO but of course it has to do with formation and how certain players are used. We're now basically playing with two holding CMs while the wide players have more licence to attack. We don't have any CM helping out the attack and it leaves a huge gap between the strikers and our central midfield.

We obviously needed to improve our defense and our new way has improved us in that area. But our attack is suffering greatly. With so many strikers, Wenger probably doesn't want to play just one up front. But in order for the midfield and attack to work we need to have someone centrally who can help the attack. And out of our two CMs, for some reason Song is the one who goes forward the most. I get the feeling it has more to do with Song being less disciplined than Denilson, but ideally if one goes forward it should be Denilson in my opinion.

I said it at the start of this thread, and I stand by it, if we want our midfield to work both in attack and defense we need to sacrifice a striker.

Anzac

Established Member
Agreed re the twin holding CMs, but I think they sat too deep v Sunderland - like twin DMs. Also agree that the 2 CMs need to be linked to the forward line - Cesc has the vision & passing to do so, but Song/Denilson/Diaby don't.

I'd play Nasri as an AMC from the hole with the job to link/ignite the attack & I'd get him to stay in that no man's land & get the ball to him asap & let him assess it from there, as opposed to getting the CMs to set the play.

I'd look to play AA & RVP as AMRC/LC / FC types from close in & breaking forward - their primary role would be as goal scorers as opposed to being providers - but they'd have free role to interchange across the pitch. I'd keep the front man central if Ade, but would allow all 3 to interchange if it was Eduardo. The FBs provide the width.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom