Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by beaney, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

He's got insane upper body strength, and quick feet so it's very hard to knock him off the ball but his distribution skills are terrible. Could be a good carrier of the ball from deep but doesn't have the stamina to run all the way back to defend for more than 70 minutes. He's basically half of a perfect box-to-box player.

Artisan and Divided_Pie like this.
  2. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Pretty funny how the guy edited out his embarrassing shot in the 73rd minute :lol:

Tourbillion likes this.
  3. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Laca Respect for Alexandre

Ox has barely done anything at Liverpool, people go on like he’s playing amazing for them but had a slow start, a few decent games then got injured. Just like he would at Arsenal, he’ll never be a starter for them.

Iwobi is much better than Ox but neither are what we need in our midfield.

Jae, Maybe, Artisan and 2 others like this.
  4. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Chamberlain is better, but **** him and he's not great either.

5. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

His problem is the injuries. Would be class if he didn't have so many. Same applies to Wilshere.

CaseUteinberger likes this.
  6. Aevi

Aevi Hands down best mod -Trilly (probably) Moderator

7. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

He's lucky the keeper was a lemon. Scored, but would have liked to see a more clinical finish if I was looking for confidence in him next season. Hit and hoped. Good on him though.

Edit: I'll give him benefit of the doubt coz he kept it super low and may have hit the percentage shot with the defender in close proximity.

GOAT finish.

8. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Well-Known Member

Saw your post before the edit and thought it was a bit harsh. Putting the ball between the keepers legs and sliding it under the keepers body as they dive are very hard finishes to pull off. If he did his usually try and bent it into the corner with no power the keeper would have saved it.

However the question is whether he meant it or not. Will be a big boost to his confidence. He needs to be trusted with a central role, as does AMN.

I'm still backing the profile below of a 3 man midfield:

Iwobi/ESR - half turn ball carrier
    AMN/ Willock- physical engine
    Torreira/ Guendouzi/ Xhaka - passers

I wouldn't necessarily buy a midfielder. If we do it would need to be the physical engine, not the other 2.

WF, CB, LB and back up RB should be the priority.

samshere, Jury and idan like this.
  9. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Still Hating Reed in 2019

He has done nothing to warrant a midfield starter position. He's basically had a free run as a starter in the first team and has done next to nothing in the last 3 seasons. Would he start so regularly for the other Top 6 teams?

Hope he comes good but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that he should start in midfield at this point.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  10. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

Sell him....15 million to Roma. I think he offers more than Özil, but we should move him while we can. Does not appear he will take his next step with us. I think he could be a star in Seria A.

Wrighty4eva likes this.
  11. GoonerJay24

GoonerJay24 Active Member

12. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

I have lots of time for Arsenal youngsters, also was one of the few to always keep faith in Ox.. but Iwobi seriously needs to step up. Don't sell him yet, unless a ridiculous offer comes in. But not for 15m.

krackpot likes this.
  13. ASIF

ASIF Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Iwobi will have a breakthrough season.He is our only winger as thing stands and only player who can run and beat a player one on one.Just need to find that finish and he can score 12 to 15 league goals a season.

krackpot likes this.
  14. OSBK

OSBK Well-Known Member

Iwobi in the middle with xhaka is a car crash waiting to happen. I think people have forgotten iwobi on the wing and how he didnt track back and let runners go off him, or the times he gave the ball away on the edge of our box.

De bryne is the benchmark and iwobi doesnt come anywhere near close.

CaseUteinberger likes this.
  15. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Saw this posted in 2016, 2017 and 2018 as well.

16. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

I honestly thought so too last season. I want us to give chances to our youth players, but if they don't kick on they need to be sold (or loaned but that ship has sailed for Iwobi).

The upside is I believe he is not on high wages so would be a cheap backup, but if we're offered anything near €25m, I'd be in favor of selling and giving the next prospect in line a chance.

17. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Still Hating Reed in 2019

There are more chances of @Jury defending Özil than Iwobi having a breakthrough season.

<<reed>>, Mark Tobias and Trilly like this.
  18. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Yeah he's done.

World class players are already starting to make waves at the age of 23. Like I said last season unfortunately his absolute ceiling seems to be 'useful' player for a CL team.

19. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

Great skill to set up goal for Nigeria

krackpot likes this.
  20. arsenefc

arsenefc Obsessed With Guendouzi

yeah...great allround #10 performance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.