• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Song

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Apparently his attitude in training was dire, he made clear his intention to leave and was making those around him feel unsettled. Based on that, coupled with the fact that he's very average including his Hollywood passes (which he need 6 attempts to get right), I'd have to say;

NV98k.gif

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He got too big for his boots, now he can suck on it like Hleb, he'll be playing for a French team soon enough.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That ship has sailed, Wenger never returns for a player, Not Flamini, Hleb, etc. I know Song's play divided opinion but if he can get his head screwed on right, he could land on a decent team. Bottom line, we never replaced him, and we should.

eye4goal

Established Member
Song is better than Diaby and Ramsey. I wouldn't mind him on loan next season or something(I'd loan back Nasri too while we're at it). He qualifies as home-grown and is PL proven.

coopsollini

Have we missed him this year? - Yes.

Did he burn his bridges in terms of his attitude when he left? - Yes.

It is beyond me, how his ego allowed him to think he would ever get in the 1st team at Barca on a regular basis.

He would be better than no one, but the only player who has ever left who Wenger would take back is surely Cesc.

coopsollini

eye4goal said:
Song is better than Diaby and Ramsey. I wouldn't mind him on loan next season or something(I'd loan back Nasri too while we're at it). He qualifies as home-grown and is PL proven.

Nasri coming back?! Hahaha! :D :D :D

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Will it happen, it really depends if the relationship between Wenger/Bould/Song has been repaired. They say time is a healer either that or a nice price of say 6m should do the trick, sell for 16m buy for 6m classic Wenger economics.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I don't wish to see Song running in circles in our midfield again.

As a CB in place of either Per or TV? Yeah, probably.

Actually, if he's going anywhere, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Man Utd very interested in him, and he could well fancy that.

Glovegun

Established Member
As a player I rate him but Wenger has had the opportunity to resign a number of our former players (Flamini, Hleb, Anelka, Petit, Adebayor) and said no to each of them. I don't see Song coming back. Which is a shame, because he was one of the best midfielders in the league for my money.

dpt49

Established Member
He is better than any DM we have here, since we sold our last DM.

This is not going to happen simply because it would prove Wenger would have lost the plot.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Again I would like to ask how Song improves the balance of our midfield with his lack of mobility, ill discipline for a so called defensive midfielder, knack of picking up needless cards etc.

I really think our midfield needs either mobility, dynamism or brute force. A midfield duo of Song and Arteta lacks mobility, Song and Wilshere lacs defensive discipline, Song plus Ramsey or Diaby is arguably the best fit but can either Ramsey or Diaby be relied upon at the top top level?

Anyway it is all academic as Song will not be coming here. Think City or Chelsea could offer him a reprieve from his bench warming at Barca. Failing that he could go to Serie A.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
We need a physical specimen in the midfield, one with power, pace as well as good technical ability. Song lacks pace (and discipline) so no thanks, I expect someone better (or a better fit at least).

iced22

tbh, it's not really that Song lacks discipline, it's that he struggles with his decision making and reading of the game when given an overly wide role with too much responsibility, and is then caught out in the wrong place at the wrong time. Last season as a B2B mid was a perfect example.

We've already tried playing him as a much more limited role with less thinking involved, and he did perfectly fine at it. In fact, he's usually one of our better players when played as a simple DM and told to stay back. This gives him less to think about as all he has to do is stay back and track runners and AMCs, and his lack of mobility is less exposed when playing deeper.

Loken

So we want a disciplined CM who screens the back four, doesn't advance too much out of position, doesn't waste possession with Hollywood through-balls and provides physicality and height to the midfield?

Why did we not go for Dembele again?

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Loken said:
So we want a disciplined CM who screens the back four, doesn't advance too much out of position, doesn't waste possession with Hollywood through-balls and provides physicality and height to the midfield?

Would have killed Aneke! Was surprised a bigger team than Sp**s didn't go for Dembele. That said he hasn't looked quite as good without Sandro there backing him up.

We had holes in our midfield when Song was there, hell so did we when Flamini was there it was just that we kept possession well. We haven't had a proper defensive shield since Gilberto left.

leo_ense

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/barcellona-song-vuole-tornare-all-arsenal-430927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/b ... nal-430927</a>

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Wenger said in the last days of the summer transfer window that he was still looking for a midfielder after the Song deal was announced, and tried to get a midfielder in the winter window again. Not saying that trying alone is enough, but he was well aware that we're short in midfield.

Floating

Established Member
Loken said:

Wenger said it's because we had Diaby ( :lol: ) and Wilshere coming back in a couple months, and if we signed another first team CM, we would have too many.

In a sense, he was right, we do have many CM's. However, most of them are either too inconsistent (Diaby, Coquelin, Ramsey), or have questionable fitness (Rosicky, Diaby, Wilshere). We do have too many midfielders, but only Jack and Arteta are good enough and reliable enough to start regularly.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom