• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

Makavelii

I'm a little nervous about losing Laca now.
Lacazette replacing Auba as #9 is directly correlated with our turn around in form. The moment this change happened was the moment we started looking in control on the pitch.

He doesn't score a lot of goals himself for a 9. But he does so much running, creating space and work to improve our attack. Things that you don't necessarily notice. Like dragging a defender away or getting in the way of the defender (yesterday to give Saka space for his goal).
He's clearly good for the younger guys and let's them play their best.

I low-key hope that we keep him for a few years to come. Even if he's just backup to some expensive new striker.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He’s actually a fool if he isn’t arranging a pre contract already cause the way Arteta will chop him, he won’t see it coming.

Unless that 1 year extension is true and still on the table?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm a little nervous about losing Laca now.
Lacazette replacing Auba as #9 is directly correlated with our turn around in form. The moment this change happened was the moment we started looking in control on the pitch.

He doesn't score a lot of goals himself for a 9. But he does so much running, creating space and work to improve our attack. Things that you don't necessarily notice. Like dragging a defender away or getting in the way of the defender (yesterday to give Saka space for his goal).
He's clearly good for the younger guys and let's them play their best.

I low-key hope that we keep him for a few years to come. Even if he's just backup to some expensive new striker.
You realise most strikers do this. Movement, blocking runs. 90 % of what a striker does is constantly move and try to affect the game off the ball.

His movement is also pre planned. He drops into the spaces Arteta wants him to be in. Any top striker would be doing the same thing under instruction.

What did he actually do yesterday apart from block someone's run? He led a press which I would expect any striker to do as that is worked on and instructed. Did he have a shot? Did he dribble? Did he play an incisive pass?

The bar is so low with our striker right now. Auba made it all about goals and being incapable of doing anything else. Lacazette comes in and is physical, which is normal, and then links the play a bit better and suddenly we can't do without him.

Literally nothing special about his link up play yesterday.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You realise most strikers do this. Movement, blocking runs. 90 % of what a striker does is constantly move and try to affect the game off the ball.

His movement is also pre planned. He drops into the spaces Arteta wants him to be in. Any top striker would be doing the same thing under instruction.

What did he actually do yesterday apart from block someone's run? He led a press which I would expect any striker to do as that is worked on and instructed. Did he have a shot? Did he dribble? Did he play an incisive pass?

The bar is so low with our striker right now. Auba made it all about goals and being incapable of doing anything else. Lacazette comes in and is physical, which is normal, and then links the play a bit better and suddenly we can't do without him.

Nonsense, we have a number of strikers who can’t do what Lacazette does. Balogun can at youth level.

Some of the way he plays he’s been doing since Emery, so I don’t see how you could credit it entirely to Arteta. He naturally comes deeper and makes a nuisance of himself which I suspect is just him overcompensating for his lack of presence or threat in the box.

Aubameyang, Balogun, Martinelli and Eddie have all played upfront at some point this season and for one reason or another none of them have demonstrated the link up play, blocked off defenders or occupied the half spaces like Lacazette has.

He’s not a sick player by any means but give him a break man.

Mudi

Nonsense, we have a number of strikers who can’t do what Lacazette does. Balogun can at youth level.

Some of the way he plays he’s been doing since Emery, so I don’t see how you could credit it entirely to Arteta. He naturally comes deeper and makes a nuisance of himself which I suspect is just him overcompensating for his lack of presence or threat in the box.

Aubameyang, Balogun, Martinelli and Eddie have all played upfront at some point this season and for one reason or another none of them have demonstrated the link up play or occupied the half spaces like Lacazette has.

You do realise that you have different kind of strikers. Henry was one of the best if not the best striker at his peak, yet he would be very inefficient doing the job as a false 9 (which is Lacazette playing nowadays).

To my head, Rooney was one of the best false 9's in the EPL. If we would have a player like him, with the dynamics of Saka, Martinelli and ESR on the wings, we would be deadly. Laca is okay in what he is doing, not great and we should def. upgrade on him.

We are building a style of football, build up from the back and quick transition through the midfiled. So with this set-up you need wingers to run the space (which we have with Saka and Martinelli), 2 midfielders who are technically great (which we don't have) who can handle the pressure and find the 2 upfront (AM or CF). An AM who can find the final space for the winger and an CF who can fall deep, connect with the front 3.

Now having Laca as a back-up is not a bad idea, one year extention is enough. He is not gonna make us title challenger.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You do realise that you have different kind of strikers. Henry was one of the best if not the best striker at his peak, yet he would be very inefficient doing the job as a false 9 (which is Lacazette playing nowadays).

To my head, Rooney was one of the best false 9's in the EPL. If we would have a player like him, with the dynamics of Saka, Martinelli and ESR on the wings, we would be deadly. Laca is okay in what he is doing, not great and we should def. upgrade on him.

We are building a style of football, build up from the back and quick transition through the midfiled. So with this set-up you need wingers to run the space (which we have with Saka and Martinelli), 2 midfielders who are technically great (which we don't have) who can handle the pressure and find the 2 upfront (AM or CF). An AM who can find the final space for the winger and an CF who can fall deep, connect with the front 3.

Now having Laca as a back-up is not a bad idea, one year extention is enough. He is not gonna make us title challenger.
Ofcourse I realise this and that is my point. @The_Playmaker made out like any competent striker can do what Lacazette is doing off the back of Arteta instructions and I tried to explain why I disagreed.

I think Lacazette should go, I am not advocating for an extension at all. This run is some of his best ball, it's still met with constant critique and nitpicking really. I reckon a younger player coming in and doing the same will be received more favourably.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ofcourse I realise this and that is my point. @The_Playmaker made out like any competent striker can do what Lacazette is doing off the back of Arteta instructions and I tried to explain why I disagreed.

I think Lacazette should go, I am not advocating for an extension at all. This run is some of his best ball, it's still met with constant critique and nitpicking really. I reckon a younger player coming in and doing the same will be received more favourably.
You misunderstood me.

I said his movement off the ball. Making runs off the ball dropping into the left half space, pressing in accordance with the instructions. I reckon most strikers can do that if they have the physical capability. What he does on the ball and finishing technique is what sets him apart from your average Joe. Nketiah moves, presses and follows the managers instructions just as well and he isn't even good.

Lacazette has more quality but then what do you expect from a 50 million pound striker. He would cost 75 million if we were buying him now in the current market. It's still underwhelming. He still isn't good enough. The bar is set so low that we exaggerate the basics at this club.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

The bar is set so low that we exaggerate the basics at this club.
Whilst I agree, our senior players mainly bare the brunt of this. Like Lacazette.

He's going to go anyways and at the very least Arteta is getting funds for a main striker and he becomes bench again. I think people complain way to much about a clearly temporary situation this guy is on a timer.

Could have the rug pulled from under his feet as soon as January, Arteta doesn't play.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football

LOL, this post.
he is quality, it is not easy. It is much harder to find a striker that does what Laca is doing for us than find a quick mobile one.

Makavelii

Totally untrue.
Strikers off ball movement varies just as much as any other skill.

That's like saying all strikers score goals so it doesn't matter.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Aubameyang, Balogun, Martinelli and Eddie have all played upfront at some point this season and for one reason or another none of them have demonstrated the link up play, blocked off defenders or occupied the half spaces like Lacazette has.

He’s not a sick player by any means but give him a break man.
Yup totally agree, he's far from a complete striker but he's got a high level skill set. He hustles like few in the league and is really good at holding up play, linking, setting off our fast counters etc. He also draws a lot of fouls which I guess is pretty common.

You just have to see how much better we look with him in the side. Still wouldn't offer him a long term deal though. 1 year + a signing on bonus. If he performs he gets it again next year. I actually think he might sign an extension, wouldn't surprise me.

akhil

LOL, this post.
he is quality, it is not easy. It is much harder to find a striker that does what Laca is doing for us than find a quick mobile one.

He's very good at the stuff outside the box. He doesn't do what most strikers do inside the box though. He barely has any shots in most games and this is for a guy who actually has a decent strike on him. He struggles to attack crosses or shoot on the run. Can't remember the last time he actually scored a 1v1.

I'd like him to stay but only on a short term deal though.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He's very good at the stuff outside the box. He doesn't do what most strikers do inside the box though. He barely has any shots in most games and this is for a guy who actually has a decent strike on him. He struggles to attack crosses or shoot on the run. Can't remember the last time he actually scored a 1v1.

I'd like him to stay but only on a short term deal though.

Isn’t the point that he’s good outside the box cos he has to be, cos he can’t compete in the box. We should be targeting a player with strength and pace who can actually unsettle defenders in the box, and who can score a 1v1 versus the goalie.

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom