• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Claude-Maurice

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Just Arsenal has posted a blog that makes some of the very points about lack of sourcing that I often make on here myself. And it uses this very rumor as an example:

A little bit of research goes a long way, it is fairly easy to find the original source of a piece of gossip. Providing attribution is standard practice these days, as an example today the Metro published an article claiming Matteo Guendouz can convince Alexis Claude-Maurice to sign for Arsenal. The Metro links that claim to a report in the Mirror and there it ends in terms of attribution and so, the original source can be assumed to be the Mirror.

The next step is to analyse the article in question, looks for quotes, sources or even why they are making the claim they are making.

Well, the Mirror has no quotes, no sources, named or unnamed and on the face of it the only thing that comes close to backing up their claim is that Matteo Guendouz and Alexis Claude-Maurice previously played together.

That tells me that it is just an opinion piece dressed up as speculation and therefore practically worthless and that took me less than three minutes to work out.

We was first linked to him a month ago by a supposedly reliable French journalist who covers Lorient.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I don't know this player, but I don't quite understand that we're looking to bring in forward prospects, given that we have an abundance of prospects in our forward line. Same goes for Martinelli. They'd have to be very special to warrant the investment.

As an investment in the future I can understand it (buy and loan out), but I think we can't afford to spare €10m on such players currently.

According to Transfermarkt he has played as CAM this season. With ESR out on loan another season I could understand it if we bring in an understudy for Özil. Again, he'd have to be very special though.

If Özil is to stay another season I hope we buy a player like Aouar or Havertz who could also play as a box-to-box midfielder for a season until they take over from Mesut.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I don't know this player, but I don't quite understand that we're looking to bring in forward prospects, given that we have an abundance of prospects in our forward line. Same goes for Martinelli. They'd have to be very special to warrant the investment.

As an investment in the future I can understand it (buy and loan out), but I think we can't afford to spare €10m on such players currently.

According to Transfermarkt he has played as CAM this season. With ESR out on loan another season I could understand it if we bring in an understudy for Özil. Again, he'd have to be very special though.

If Özil is to stay another season I hope we buy a player like Aouar or Havertz who could also play as a box-to-box midfielder for a season until they take over from Mesut.

None of our forward prospects are guaranteed to become good enough to improve our first team. Let's not forget that we finished 5th in the best league in the world, 1 point behind a team that is in the CL final. A player needs to be very good to improve us despite the official forum truth that our wide players absolutely garbage. They're not. Iwobi and Mkhitaryan would absolutely dominate at the U23 level where most of our top prospects have shown promise. Only Reiss Nelson has shown something in a professional league with a relevant sample size and even he was mainly used as a sub. Let's not forget that very few top prospects turn out to be world class players. Many become good, like Iwobi for example who was considered a top talent when he first broke through from our youth ranks, but good is not what brings Arsenal closer to the likes of Pool and City. It's not enough. We need world class. Bringing in volume of top prospects is smart if the prices are reasonable and the money used there doesn't effect the amount of money used for immediate upgrades. With good loan deals, we can also raise the profile of the youngsters and make profit from the sales of those we don't end up keeping. But obviously having a lot of top prospects brings the challenge of keeping and selling the right ones. We shouldn't go over board but even if we brought in Martinelli and Claude-Maurice, we'd still be in a very reasonable level.

Last edited:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
While I mostly agree with your post, our prospects can only show whether they are at the required level if actually given a chance. I've been a fan of Iwobi and was happy he got his chance. Unfortunately, this season he has not kicked on and I think we can conclude he will not live up to his initial promise. This is why I was so frustrated one of Saka/Amaechi/Nelson was not given a chance to show whether they can live up to their promise at the PL level. Same for Nketiah who I'd hoped would get more minutes after Welbeck's injury, who is less talented than Eddie. And again same goes for Willock, when Guendouzi or Torreira had a poor spell.

If management has its doubts about these players I understand you try to get in talents that are a level above and, when an outside chance presents itself (which might be the case with ACM or Martinelli, I don't know them well enough), you should always go for it. One can then figure out who to stick with later (throw them in the arena and see who remains standing).

So I'm not necessarily opposed to ACM, but I would have sooner expected talent acquisition at the wingback positions, CB or CM. I think our academy prospects in the forward line are our most promising and therefore deserve a chance.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

How special do they need to be?

Martinelli has been selected to train for the copa America squad. Claude Maurice has been carrying a ligue 2 team offensively. The same team Guendouzi was in and who was just a good prospect.

There are players who are just simply good enough to contribute and have the athleticism and mentality at a young age. Take Tielemans for example. He played in a ' farmer's league. Would he have been any less impressive if he moved straight to England instead of wasting a year in France. I doubt it.

Claude-Maurice would slot in quite easily I feel. He has his best mate at the club already and would not have a culture shock. Nelson is ready. Martinelli would need to adapt to a new country and experience.

Smith-rowe needs a loan to Germany.

Nketiah needs a loan to France.

Willock needs a loan to Germany.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This Mohammedterparis was very reliable with Guendouzi rumours last season. I would like if we bought this guy plus another quality winger.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
So we going from mkhi Iwobi to Alexis fraser or another winger ans Nelson I like that at finally some real wingers.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
If we sign this guy I doubt we're getting another winger on top of Fraser; unless we sell one.

What does this mean for Martinelli I thought that was a done deal? I must admit I admire all these exciting youth links we get. I hope we sign a couple of them but it shouldnt change our attitude to first team signings.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
If we sign this guy I doubt we're getting another winger on top of Fraser; unless we sell one.

What does this mean for Martinelli I thought that was a done deal? I must admit I admire all these exciting youth links we get. I hope we sign a couple of them but it shouldnt change our attitude to first team signings.

From what I understand, Martinelli would start with the U-23 team. Remember, he's only 17 years old. So he's one for the future.

From what I've read about Claude-Maurice, he's versatile enough to play on either side, although he's played mainly on the left wing (where he likes to cut inside) and in the midfield for Lorient. If they bring in the Premier League tested Fraser, Claude-Maurice could back him up, but also get time at other positions.

Apparently Arsenal does have some competition for him though, including several teams in France (Lille is even linked to him as a replacement for Pepe) and Eintract Frankfurt.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So we going from mkhi Iwobi to Alexis fraser or another winger ans Nelson I like that at finally some real wingers.

Claude Maurice isn't s winger though. He is a 10 who can play wide. I am not sure how tenacious he is or whether he could be a pressing combative 10. Not sure what our plan is, but apparantly we have one.

Are we still in for Nkunku? Do we want one of the French centre backs? Do we want Pepe?

Sadly we are waiting on the outcome of Wednesday. It feels like when we were fourth and still waiting for the qualifiers to see if we would make transfers.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Lack of assists is a bit worrying, who knows if he'll be able to make the step up and maintain his goal threat with the jump in league quality where he won't be given as much space to take a shot. He looks pretty decent technically though, could be an exciting signing.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom