• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Andreas Isaksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFCG7

Established Member
Lehmann is quite tall. so is ALmunia.. so was Shabaan and Stu Taylor is tall as well.
My hope is that Wenger does not get invloved with signing Isaksson because he is piss poor at picking proper keepers.

A

Anonymous

AFCG7 said:
Lehmann is quite tall. so is ALmunia.. so was Shabaan and Stu Taylor is tall as well.
My hope is that Wenger does not get invloved with signing Isaksson because he is piss poor at picking proper keepers.
Lehmann is average height for a keeper, Almunia is smaller than Jens,
Shaabban is the same stature as Jens, and Stu wasn't bought...

6,4 is a somewhat common girth for a goalkeeper.

Paden

Hmm, AW always goes for long keepers, unfortunately some of them are just tall and crap...

Isaksson is not good with his feet though. To bad, he´s good at almost everything else.

A

Anonymous

Anyone notice how good Almunia is with his feet?
Not as bad a keeper as the majority of you lot tend to make out either...

Asterix

Established Member
Since there’s a bit of debate over this I did some research. Here are the heights (in cm) of some the current and past keepers, including most of those linked to us:

Santiago Canizares, Gregory Coupet - 181 :shock:
Victor Valdes - 183 (what is it with these short Spanish keepers??)
Iker Casillas, Silvio Proto, Peter Shilton – 184
Timo Hildebrand, Carlos Kameni, Wilfredo Caballero - 185
Jerzy Dudek - 186
Shay Given, Jose Reina – 187
Oliver Kahn, Carlo Cudicini, Pat Jennings, Roy Carroll, Leonardo Franco – 188
Sebastien Frey - 189
Buffon, Jens Lehmann, Morgan De Sanctis, Fabian Barthez, Ray Clemence – 190
Christian Abbiati, Manuel Almunia, Paul Robinson, Robert Green, Jussi Jaaskelainen – 191
Jan Lastuvka - 192
David Seaman, Peter Schmeichel, Ivan Pelizzoli, Stuart Taylor, Brad Friedel – 193
Maarten Stekelenburg - 194
Dida, Tim Howard – 195
Francesco Toldo, David James, Mark Schwarzer – 196
Petr Cech, Edwin van der Sar – 197
Andreas Isaksson – 199
(and I had to put in Aussie reserve keeper) Zeljko Kalac – 202

For reference, six foot is pretty damn close to 183cm. Six foot four is close enough to 193cm. Isaksson is six foot six and a half.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Asterix said:
Since there’s a bit of debate over this I did some research. Here are the heights (in cm) of some the current and past keepers, including most of those linked to us:

Iker Casillas, Silvio Proto – 184
Timo Hildebrand - 185
Oliver Kahn, Carlo Cudicini, Pat Jennings – 188
Sebastien Frey - 189
Buffon, Jens Lehmann, Morgan De Sanctis – 190
Christian Abbiati, Manuel Almunia, Paul Robinson, Robert Green – 191
David Seaman, Peter Schmeichel, Ivan Pelizzoli, Stuart Taylor – 193
Dida – 195
David James, Mark Schwarzer – 196
Petr Cech, Edwin van der Sar – 197
Andreas Isaksson – 199
(and I had to put in Aussie reserve keeper) Zeljko Kalac – 202

For reference, six foot is pretty damn close to 183cm. Six foot four is close enough to 193cm. Isaksson is six foot six and a half.

Fantastic work Asterix!

It's good to finally have a comparison.

Canuck

Established Member
Zeljko Kalac – 202
So is he the tallest that you know of? Because that's pretty freakin' tall....and he's still a back-up keeper. (Schwarzer had a good match today)

Let's face it, you have to be at least as tall/athletic enough to jump up and touch the crossbar.

Casillas may be one of the shortest but still one of the best IMO.

Asterix

Established Member
I was just doing Google searches, so there may well be some taller than our Spider, but I didn't come across any. West Ham's keeper this season, Jimmy Walker, is only 5'11", and he had a good season.

I'm a keeper - 185cm - and I can touch the crossbar on tippy toes. The other thing that helps is a great leap. Shilton was not tall - I've added him above - but had a great leap. Mine is average on a good day.

The trick with Zeljko is to play it near his feet - he can't get down too quickly!

KingReyes

Established Member
Stefano said:
KingReyes said:
Really like this guy. From what I have seen of him he looks like a type of keeper Wenger would go for. He is tall and tends to come out well for crosses, something it seems Wenger is keen on.
Wenger NEVER goes for tall keepers.

So whats Jens lehmann? A midget?

A

Anonymous

Shay Given is 187!!!!!!!! ****in hell, he looks well short on TV, the cameras do him an injustice I say!!! :shock:

PS Six foot is exactly 180cm, 6ft 1in is 183cm, this was one of the last things I remembered from my maths studies in school. thats cos 1 foot is 30cm, or a 12inch ruler if that floats your boat. :mrgreen:

Well then whoever said wenger doesnt go for tall keepers is quite daft really, cos all our keepers have been at least 190cm in the wenger era!!!

A

Anonymous

nah im sure they will, at arsenal everyone is friends whatever the previous may be!!! think of mellberg at arsenal, and that would be another issue :lol:

A

Anonymous

KingReyes said:
Stefano said:
KingReyes said:
Really like this guy. From what I have seen of him he looks like a type of keeper Wenger would go for. He is tall and tends to come out well for crosses, something it seems Wenger is keen on.
Wenger NEVER goes for tall keepers.

So whats Jens lehmann? A midget?
What's wrong with you? Didn't you see what I wrote earlier?
Jens is a tall man but not exactly a tall keeper.

so what about peter cech
Was he signed?

A

Anonymous

All your business is to go against whatever anyone says innit stefano, because sorry, you're always right and noone on here knows anything except you???? :x

EDIT: Watch the text language please VavaGoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom