• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal and transfers

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think three is being generous to be honest. Cech on paper at the time should have been massive but for whatever reason that hasn't been the case.

Our strategy has been non existent. We've never done what Mourinho did the season he returned to Chelsea I.e. What do I need? Cf and a creator then signed Costa and Fabregas.

It's been apparent every window where we've needed to address and we've never went and done the business we should have done.

We basically did do that with Xhaka and Mustafi (and now Lacazette). It's just that the first two signings have been busts thus far while Laca is off to a rocky start.

The only two out and out successes of the post-austerity era have been Özil and Alexis - two proven top class players.

I think it says a lot that players who have come here with some developing to do before they can become a bona fide top player have failed.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This ruthlessness needs to continue. This faith based, nicety has gone on too long. Yes we should retain some of the values Wenger has instilled but we need to be more cut throat on poor performers.

Cech
Koscielny
Mustafi
Xhaka

4 starting 11 players that need replacing this summer. Essentially the whole spine being replaced. Koscielny staying and being managed in terms of game time would be acceptable for a season I suppose

Others have to go

Box2Box

Within the last twelve months Arsenal have sold decent to good players to other Premier League rivals.

Alexis to Manchester United
Giroud to Chelsea
Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool
Walcott to Everton

What next? Wilshere to Man City and Ramsey to Tottenham?

The selling club Charity F.C. keeps on being a feeder club for others. :(

According to the A-M perceived wisdom, Theo and Oli G were a waste of space and Championship level at best.

Personally I think they will both kick on to success at their new clubs and I hope they do. In my opinion we should have kept them and made the most of their attributes.

I've never rated the Ox. I think he may have minor success before he's found out at Liverpool.

Alexis' solo performances were offset by his negative impact on the team. I'm glad to see the back of him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This will continue in summer it seem that how we gonna be transfer strategy if you don't perform is space of 2 season you getting sold. In summer I hope Sven get us good center backs good holding midfield and replacement for cech

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

The dislike of Xhaka on this forum is becoming funny. I remember when he scored against Liverpool a good number of members of this forum started moaning, almost crying.

Give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar. ;)

BobP

Memri Fan
We basically did do that with Xhaka and Mustafi (and now Lacazette). It's just that the first two signings have been busts thus far while Laca is off to a rocky start.

The only two out and out successes of the post-austerity era have been Özil and Alexis - two proven top class players.

I think it says a lot that players who have come here with some developing to do before they can become a bona fide top player have failed.

That last paragraph X72738492938373637283847372737338

There was absolutely nothing wrong with signing Xhaka and Mustafi. In fact, they're the sort of signings a club of our stature should be making, players who have shown good quality but who still have room for growth or improvement.

I hate to say it but they're development has just ground to a halt here.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Just putting this out here. Sagna, Song and Nasri are all free agents right now.

Hector has been inconsistent at RB and could use a bit of competition. We need a defensive midfielder and Song has apparently joined Arsenal for training (Flamini 2013 anyone?). Also, we could use a Winger too.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I'd only take Sagna out of the bunch. We could do with him on a 6-month contract, we have 0 cover at RB.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think it's opportunism, mostly. We sign whoever happens to be available and then try to figure out how to make it work. So we sell two wingers and get whoever is available to replace them - in this case a striker and a CAM, who just happened to be unwanted at their clubs.

I also suspect the club often sign the player they consider to be the best value for money or perhaps is the 'safest' option, rather than the best fit for the position. The whole point of StatDNA is, allegedly, to ensure we don't sign duds. It's meant to prevent us from signing expensive flops that'll cost us money. Ironically, expensive flops is exactly what StatDNA has produced for us. As it turns out, the 'safe' option on paper might not fit into the squad at all. E.g. Xhaka, Perez, arguably Mustafi.

Lastly, there's the panic buying to which we are prone when we start a season poorly. So we buy a Lucas Perez because Welbeck is injured for a few months. Welbeck himself had more than a hint of a panic buy about him as well.

Altogether it adds up to a mismatched squad of square pegs for round holes. There's far too little planning. When things then inevitably don't work on the pitch they have to be made to work, so you get Xhaka in a box-to-box role because we need a box-to-box player. Why do we need a box-to-box? Because we didn't sign a suitable partner for Xhaka, so can't use him as a DLP and therefore needed to change formation. Because of that constant re-adjusting our style of play constantly changes as well, which in turn makes it harder to plan for the long term and buy players to fit a certain formation and style of play.

Hopefully the changes behind the scenes mean we'll see the start of some actual long-term squad planning soon.

Xhaka wasn't opportunistic , Wenger personally called him the summer before we bought him. The rest probably .

Last edited:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
As I’ve said, I’m enjoying this partnership more and more, Wenger is the kind of guy who can attract top talents, Gazidis is not afraid to pay the cash if the player wants to come and Mislintat is not worried with breaking players hearts and cutting off our losses when it’s clear said players can offer no more what is needed. Hopefully Sanllehi can offer something new as well.

It’s a great set-up that we’ve asked for a long time. We can thank Gazidis for this. All we need now is a new manager who can make this team play better on the football pitch.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Think AW has a lot of trust in this guy . Most aggressive summer we have had since DD was here.

Winter* :lol:

We've shipped out so many deadwood during this window. If someone told me a year ago that we would have sold Coquelin/Walcott/Debuchy/Giroud during the same window I wouldn't have believed it.

It looks like for once we have a true plan to rebuild a competitive squad. Instead of keeping the same bunch of players who have failed us season after season.

This summer might be truely epic because our net spend is still £0. We've made a lot of room for future incomings.
Cazorla & Per are leaving. And I don't think we are going to extend Welbeck's contract. So this is really good news.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Winter* :lol:

We've shipped out so many deadwood during this window. If someone told me a year ago that we would have sold Coquelin/Walcott/Debuchy/Giroud during the same window I wouldn't have believed it.

It looks like for once we have a true plan to rebuild a competitive squad. Instead of keeping the same bunch of players who have failed us season after season.

This summer might be truely epic because our net spend is still £0. We've made a lot of room for future incomings.
Cazorla & Per are leaving. And I don't think we are going to extend Welbeck's contract. So this is really good news.

Sorry bro summer here so I keep forgetting :lol:. Apparently Summer transfers will be focused on young talent .

Longy

As mch as i love Cazorla, you can't renew his contract
Per is retiring
Wellbeck needs to be moved on and replaced.
Ramsey needs to be moved on and replaced.
Need to have a good look at Koscielny.

We have a front 4 all here for years now. We can focus on the back.

Need a GK
Need a CB
Need a DM
as additions.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Sorry bro summer here so I keep forgetting :lol:. Apparently Summer transfers will be focused on young talent .

Imo we will replace Welbeck by one of the players we've been linked this window: Pavon or Malcom.
We are going to get at least a CB.

I haven't been that excited for the future of this club since we've signed Özil. It feels good we were such a depressing club lately. :lol:

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Just putting this out here. Sagna, Song and Nasri are all free agents right now.

Hector has been inconsistent at RB and could use a bit of competition. We need a defensive midfielder and Song has apparently joined Arsenal for training (Flamini 2013 anyone?). Also, we could use a Winger too.

What happened to Nasri? Don't want him here but he was doing well for Sevilla last season I think.

Not interested in Sagna either, love the man but last season at City it became pretty clear his legs are completely gone.

Reckon Song could still do a job here provided he's fit and has sorted out his attitude.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

With respect to them, we need to be looking forward, not back. We can do better than all of them.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom