• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
neither of them are replaceable

Where do you get Bellerin's pace and stamina?

Where do you get Ox's utility?

Name Ox as first replacement for LWB, RWB, CM, CM, AM, AM and he will get plenty of games, and be hugely influencial

there is a long list of players who should be dropped for good but Ox and Bellerin are not on that list

You can find tons of fullbacks all over the world who have pace and stamina, maybe some of them can cross too and even be helpful in attack!

Also, we don't need a player who's average in 5 positions. I'd rather someone who's really good at one, if Ox can nail down a position and thrive then I'm all for it but the versatility thing has been a detriment to his development not aiding it.

alexisales

i don't bother watching games with excitement or expectation of some success anymore, I knew we were going to continue to be dire this season as we were the last the second he got his new contract extension, he's finished. I just watch banter f.c for the lol's and the posts on this forum in the match day threads.

IslingtonBornandbred

LOL same sh*t different day.

Why do we even bother with such a weak minded manager who lives in a fantasy land that everything is OK. £3500 on season tickets this year again, we do I bother?

I said it before and after the Leicester game but what does he think this is? He's actually treating the Premier League, we are talking one of the biggest leagues in the world, running a top club like it's either a fantasy football team or a training match?

I don't care about the circumstances, it's always the same thing over and over again. Are we ready to hit the ground running? Why do we seem to have a bad start to every season, losing on the first day? It's because we are never prepared. It's either an injury crisis, a major competition summer or a lack of signings. Every year!

Come on, we got lucky on the first day. We are two games into the season and playing Ox on the right and left. Bellerin on the left. We are playing with two left backs in the middle. Seriously, Monreal as the most central centre back.

Seriously he get's it right sometimes, but how couldn't he? He's got talent like Sanchez and Özil who would get it right for any manager eventually. The problem is, he's reactive, not proactive. He waits for it to go belly up and then acts. If he went into the season thinking we actually had a chance to win the league then he's so deluded it's unreal.

We are probably three major top signings away from even getting close to competing at the top end this year.

It would need to be something like major and shocking like:

Van Dijk (or another top centre back)
Powerhouse/Beast defensive midfielder
Draxler/Coutinho/Isco/Lemar
Aubameyang/Benzema/Icardi

Not saying all of the above are available, but that's how far we are from winning the league! If we were to go Van Dijk (50 million), Lemar (50 million) and Benzema (50 million). That's 150 million, highly unlikely, but that's the sort of upgrade we need.

Wenger's built this squad, but even a magician wouldn't be able to win the league with this bunch, and it's the main reason why Sanchez is going, and Ox wants to go. Why would Ox want to stay? Going into the best years of his career playing for a team that repeats the same mistakes year after year? He might go to Chelsea and they might have a bad year, but he knows they'll sort it out the following year. We make the same mistakes every year and accept it.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
To reclaim any sort of love and fond memories of him he should step down it is as simple as that

save something please

he gave us wonderful football, the invincibles, players who are legends in their own right and he had a part in them

but now?

Özil and Sanchez maybe but that is for deeds before they joined us or what they will do after

a few others can with some titles under their belt be close to legend status but not like this.

My suggestion is sack him, sack him upwards to a board/club position if you have to

Bring in Thierry and Tony (and or Paddy) any former player you can get your hands on

nobody can question those guys and they all have a football brain on their shoulders

enough anyway because so much that ails us can be "cured" with attitude and making the hard decisions

It is obvious that playing for Wenger isn't all that anymore

but playing for Henry who is loved all over?

I know Tony Adams hasn't been the most succesful in his managerial career but he should know basic defending? and he is a leader

we need something to shake up things

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Does 300 million change the tactics? Wenger could spend that money on players and still play them out of position.

Sometimes I ask myself what is happening to our beautiful club? Arsenal should be challenging for the title. I miss those times.

IslingtonBornandbred

In all seriousness the guys a mentalist. Didn't change his formation drastically for 20 years. Suddenly decided to go 5 at the back, no problem. Has a team that's very comfortable playing 4 at the back. So one would assume flexibility to use either formation.

Would rather play two left backs in the middle, one being physically weak, the other new to the league, an attacking midfielder on the right and sometimes left, and a right back on the left.

Could simplify it completely by playing Bellerin, Mustafi, Holding, Monreal, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Monreal or Bellerin, Mustafi Kolasinac, Monreal or the above.

Basically there are a number of solutions to getting everyone in their correct and most comfortable positions playing four at the back. Instead, the lunatic selects the defense and formation like he's trying to complete a puzzle but with his eyes closed shut and putting down the pieces with his toes.

The guy is a lunatic. And then he makes the comment in the interview after that he didn't feel comfortable watching our centre backs. No, no sh*t they didn't look comfortable when you are playing two left backs in the middle, a right back left back and a right winger right wing back.

Eri

We have suffered defensively for a long while.
I refuse to believe Wenger is not aware of this whether we conceed goals or not. He analyses games after as he should be. He has to be aware of the amount of chances we conceed.

Everytime we are counter attacked all we do is drop off, drop off leading to a goal, penalty or a chance for the other teams.
Very rarely do we break attacks at source or early on.

Our set ups of late do not fill you with confidence. Nearly every goal we conceed you can see it coming or expect it to happen.

Even Stevie Wonder can pointing out the deficiencies we have.
The bloated squad and its bloated wages are all his fault.
So maybe he should put down his pride and stubbornness and start acting in the interest of the club and its status and not in the financial aspect only.
We really need to have a director of football. Its not a coincidence that since David Dean left we have gone downhill.

Mudi

Was just watching this on youtube and what Petit made so much sense:

First of all your defenders should scare the sh*t out of the other team, they should intimidate your opponent. With the invincibles, we had Sol, Keown, Lauren, Toure, Cole, Lehmann ... When you came against them, you know that you had to bring your A game to even have a chance. Now we have soft defenders like Mertesacker, Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Gibbs, ... good to quality defenders but every striker would fancy their chance against them.

The only one who you would get intimidated from was not good enough (Gabriel) and maybe with Kolasinac, we have a tough LB. That's why it is a must to bring someone as VVD in, someone who can be our Campbell, Puyol, Terry, Ferdinand, Kompany, ... Quality and intimidating central defenders.

And here lies the problem with Wenger. During his Arsenal career, he only bought 5 quality defenders: Campbell, Toure, Sagna, Lauren and Koscielny. If you look at it, that's very disturbing and maybe the reason we are not winning major trophees.

I have found an article from Lauren and he's totally right:
Arsenal had them. They also had something else that drove them that unbeaten 2003-04, Lauren says; something less tangible. “The passion we played with was incredible. Thierry Henry was our best player: so talented and he wanted to win everything, [even] playing cards on the bus. Yet I’d choose Patrick Vieira. You’d see him training and think he wasn’t at his best but in games he was, week after week. Patrick was incredible, exactly what a captain should be. He stood up to everything but with ‘good manners’; aggressive but there was a classiness to it. If I could choose someone to play for Arsenal now, it would be him.

“But it was everyone,” Lauren continues, thumping his fist Martin Keown-style. “Martin hated losing. I wasn’t a big talker but when I had to say something, people listened. Campbell, the same. And Lehmann: don’t get me started. Lehmann could look in the mirror and have an argument. Incredible, strong characters. Ashley Cole wasn’t one to talk much but had that character. So did Freddie. Dennis was quiet. He seemed cold because he didn’t show emotion but it was there inside him. The same with Kanu. They wanted to win, they had focus too.

“When we finally lost [the following season after a total of 49 games] at Old Trafford, they fouled us so much. The referee was horrendous. Everything seemed to be in United’s favour, including a penalty for a Campbell ‘foul’ on Rooney that didn’t exist. It hurt, but that record was incredible. And a lot of it is down to the fact we never thought about it; it never weighed on our minds. The only one noting it down was Wenger. We had good footballers and they all had tremendous character.”

Asked if he thinks that any of Arsenal’s current side could have played for the Invincibles, Lauren’s response is swift. “Alexis [Sánchez] would fit perfectly. Because of his talent but also his mentality.” They shouldn’t let him go then? “The club have reached the point where they should keep their best players to aspire to more. It’s been a club that sells its best for years [and] there were economic needs, but not any more.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/29/lauren-arsenal-invincible-cameroon-spain-maradona

That's the problem, we don't have winners/fighters in our team. The only one is now going to leave us.

Time for big chances, time to get back winners/fighters in the team!

IslingtonBornandbred

Was just watching this on youtube and what Petit made so much sense:

First of all your defenders should scare the sh*t out of the other team, they should intimidate your opponent. With the invincibles, we had Sol, Keown, Lauren, Toure, Cole, Lehmann ... When you came against them, you know that you had to bring your A game to even have a chance. Now we have soft defenders like Mertesacker, Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, Gibbs, ... good to quality defenders but every striker would fancy their chance against them.

The only one who you would get intimidated from was not good enough (Gabriel) and maybe with Kolasinac, we have a tough LB. That's why it is a must to bring someone as VVD in, someone who can be our Campbell, Puyol, Terry, Ferdinand, Kompany, ... Quality and intimidating central defenders.

And here lies the problem with Wenger. During his Arsenal career, he only bought 5 quality defenders: Campbell, Toure, Sagna, Lauren and Koscielny. If you look at it, that's very disturbing and maybe the reason we are not winning major trophees.

I have found an article from Lauren and he's totally right:

That's the problem, we don't have winners/fighters in our team. The only one is now going to leave us.

Time for big chances, time to get back winners/fighters in the team!

Yep, but trust me I've been there. You can be a fighter, warrior and a winner but if you only have three or four out of 11 then you are still in trouble. If your manager is like a broken record, making the same mistakes year after year then you won't get anywhere.

You would seriously need someone to come in like Simone, Vieira or some sort of coaching staff with a back bone who is really going to install that mentality. Under Wenger post Emirates, we've turned into having a loser mindset. Everybody who has played under Wenger and another coach like Pep or Mourinho can see it.

He's done and has been for a long time. Surely even he can see it. He must be bored coming into training everyday doing the same things. He probably doesn't even challenge or motivate himself anymore. He just wants to continue because he doesn't know what he will do without football or Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom