• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Same as Nasri. In fact probably no one held Wenger in higher regard than Fabregas, but he had no qualms about agitating for a move to Barcelona two summers in a row.

Important to distinguish between their admiration for Wenger as a man and as a coach.
Reading Özil's book, he has the utmost admiration for Wenger as a coach.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Players left because the club had no ambition.
Fabregas and Nasri jumped ship after the horrific 2nd half of the season in 10/11, what does that have to do with the ambition of the club? In the running for 4 trophies, with no outstanding team in the league and yet they ended up with nothing. Who takes responsibility for that?
Reading Özil's book, he has the utmost admiration for Wenger as a coach.
I'm not saying these players think Wenger is a rubbish manager, but it's not a stretch to say that Fabregas/Nasri/RVP/Alexis lost faith in his ability to win big trophies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I can't really see an ideal successor to Wenger, who are realistic. So many managers I thought my do a decent job here have bombed elsewhere. Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't. People like Tuchel and Ancelotti don't really excite me.

Arteta is an interesting one. An intelligent man who is obviously a student of the game. People will point to his lack of managerial experience, but even the most experienced of managers have performed poorly in recent seasons.

Honestly, I don't see any obvious replacement right about now.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I can't really see an ideal successor to Wenger, who are realistic. So many managers I thought my do a decent job here have bombed elsewhere. Sometimes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't. People like Tuchel and Ancelotti don't really excite me.

Arteta is an interesting one. An intelligent man who is obviously a student of the game. People will point to his lack of managerial experience, but even the most experienced of managers have performed poorly in recent seasons.

Honestly, I don't see any obvious replacement right about now.
Thankfully you're not the one tasked with doing the hiring.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fabregas and Nasri jumped ship after the horrific 2nd half of the season in 10/11, what does that have to do with the ambition of the club? In the running for 4 trophies, with no outstanding team in the league and yet they ended up with nothing. Who takes responsibility for that?

I'm not saying these players think Wenger is a rubbish manager, but it's not a stretch to say that Fabregas/Nasri/RVP/Alexis lost faith in his ability to win big trophies.
Nasri left for money. Cesc eventually wanted to return home. RvP earmarked the lack of ambition.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It's not a stretch to say that they all hunted higher wages. And unlike most of our fans they were intelligent enough to know the simple rule that the richer the club the greater the probability of winning silverware. It had nothing to do with Wenger.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Would it not be more accurate to suggest that they lost faith in the ability of the team to win big trophies? As opposed to just Wenger's ability as a manager. I mean Van Persie was critical of the clubs transfer policy but to this day says Wenger is the best manager he's played under.

Fabregas always wanted Barcelona (well before he decided to give up on that dream quite easily) and Nasri seemed to be holding out for bigger wages.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
It's not a stretch to say that they all hunted higher wages. And unlike most of our fans they were intelligent enough to know the simple rule that the richer the club the greater the probability of winning silverware. It had nothing to do with Wenger.
It has nothing to do with Wenger within his little cult of followers thats for sure but maybe just maybe a different manager might have got some different results over the years and inspired some of these players to stay and some even to come? We'll never know. What we do know is that Wenger doesn't share values with a lot of these guys in terms of loyalty etc and that alone maybe shows why Wenger is a fish out of water in the modern game and Id suggest doesn't understand modern footballers and their needs enough to be in charge of a top club (which we arent any more anyway on the pitch).

shootxhakashoot

also we are one of the richest clubs in the world so not sure I understand that argument? For reasons unknown we just dont spend that money like other smaller clubs financially do.

shootxhakashoot

So Cesc, RVP, Nasri left because of nothing to do with Wenger. But Özil stays because of Wenger? Not the wages or the fact that ambition was showed by signing Auba.

You can't say Özil re-signing has nothing to do with the Auba signing or/and wages and then say Cesc, RVP etc leaving had nothing to do with Wenger. But that post saying it was bollocks that people are linking Özil's new contract to the signing of Auba has now been conveniently edited.

I think Özil also stayed because his options were a bit limited hes knocking on 30 and this is likely to be his last big contract, Im very surprised he re-signed.
He's been massively inconsistent in an Arsenal shirt imo and feel he is a luxury player we cant afford at times, of course a lot of people will like him because his stats look good though.
Hes also the flavour of the month at the moment because hes playing well but the same people are very quick to forget the s**tty non existent performances at other times. This is much like our defensive shambles over the years, easy to paper over with stats but doesnt erase what the naked eye sees (and regrets seeing).
I would happily swap him for a world class dm to play along with the rest of what we have in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I mean Van Persie was critical of the clubs transfer policy but to this day says Wenger is the best manager he's played under.
This from Özil in his book:
“First, I’ve never practised set pieces so frequently and intensively with any other manager before. It’s one of Wenger’s passions.

“He places great importance on trying out free-kicks and corners. Again and again and again he gets us to practise all manner of variations."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom