• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,566
  • Views 180,371

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
This means we have zero creative option at the six postion. The reason we can score so many goals with mediocre CF play is because they can't soley focus on Ødegaard and shut him down.

You need a six that is a DLP (frenkie de jong) or get a creative eight and play Rice at the six

Ye Onana and Rice midfield ain’t it man, @SA Gunner what you smoking?

Sungod

Quoting BillyCarpenter

• Imagine trying to score against a team with Rice and Amadou Onana in midfield, and Saliba/Gabriel/White behind. There are few players whose development has impressed me more than Onana. In addition to the best set of base characteristics imaginable, he is adding all kinds of subtle little details to his game, honestly looking more Rice-like by the day: a bit of carrying and box crashing, a bit of turning and line-cutting, and a whole lot of pure destruction. You look for unicorn profiles at this level — stuff that a top club can’t easily match with money — and a Rice/Onana pivot would be almost impossible to replicate. He should also be very expensive.

There’s also a good argument to just get a purer #8, once and for all. After an initial tier (Wirtz, Musiala, Barella, Paquetá, Kökçü) etc

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Quoting BillyCarpenter

• Imagine trying to score against a team with Rice and Amadou Onana in midfield, and Saliba/Gabriel/White behind. There are few players whose development has impressed me more than Onana. In addition to the best set of base characteristics imaginable, he is adding all kinds of subtle little details to his game, honestly looking more Rice-like by the day: a bit of carrying and box crashing, a bit of turning and line-cutting, and a whole lot of pure destruction. You look for unicorn profiles at this level — stuff that a top club can’t easily match with money — and a Rice/Onana pivot would be almost impossible to replicate. He should also be very expensive.
Imagine trying to break down deep sitting teams with Rice and Onana passing. Football is supposed to be entertaining

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I would gladly have Onana. For all the talk about how brutal a Rice-Onana midfield would be, the most pertinent thing I can think of is that if the unthinkable happens and Rice gets even a slight hammy, there's literally NOBODY who can do half what he does - that concerns me a lot. Rice ain't perfect but he's the only one who's remotely like him in the middle. I'm sure there are even games where a Rice-Onana midfield would even work quite well if we're looking to nullify attacks completely. The upcoming double header vs Bayern is a great example; imagine we absolutely smash them 3-0 or 4-0 at home then turn up at the Allianz with a Rice-Onana double pivot :lol:

I take people's point about a more creative passer at #6 but I'm sorry, Zubimendi is not it. De Jong seems more 8 than 6 aswell. I'd rather have Onana and Zubimendi.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I would gladly have Onana. For all the talk about how brutal a Rice-Onana midfield would be, the most pertinent thing I can think of is that if the unthinkable happens and Rice gets even a slight hammy, there's literally NOBODY who can do half what he does - that concerns me a lot. Rice ain't perfect but he's the only one who's remotely like him in the middle. I'm sure there are even games where a Rice-Onana midfield would even work quite well if we're looking to nullify attacks completely. The upcoming double header vs Bayern is a great example; imagine we absolutely smash them 3-0 or 4-0 at home then turn up at the Allianz with a Rice-Onana double pivot :lol:

I take people's point about a more creative passer at #6 but I'm sorry, Zubimendi is not it. De Jong seems more 8 than 6 aswell. I'd rather have Onana and Zubimendi.
We need better footballers in midfield and are way too dependent on Ødegaard. Rice is a clogger, a great one. But you don’t need more cloggers. As I say because of Rice Jorginho stock rose with Arsenal fans. We simply need more good ball players

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal has own "Mainoo" coming through in Lewis-Skelly, who is a similar talent, and 1,5 years younger.

There is absolutely no way Arsenal will block his path with an expensive buy like that. Or that United will sell.
I've seen a few shouts from Arsenal fans lamenting that they wish they had Mainoo, and having seen Lewis-Skelly many times, I have no idea why. Lewis-Skelly is a dead cert. One of the best talents in the country by far. No slight on Mainoo, I've long been a fan of his and I know he's good but I have no desire to see Arsenal sign him. He's better off at United for the time being anyway.
We need better footballers in midfield and are way too dependent on Ødegaard. Rice is a clogger, a great one. But you don’t need more cloggers. As I say because of Rice Jorginho stock rose with Arsenal fans. We simply need more good ball players
I'd like more ball-players too but I don't want them to be fairies either. We need to strike a balance and - as I said - Rice is the only player who's got proper legs and power in that midfield. Arteta has set up the team to be able to win duels and 2nd balls - so far it's made us a far tougher and more dangerous team. We can't let that slip.

Disclaimer: I'm not counting the ****** or Havertz tbf.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Ye Onana and Rice midfield ain’t it man, @SA Gunner what you smoking?

It’s not first choice bro, it’s Rice rotation.

You need a DLP next to Rice to get the best out of us. So one of Luiz, Zubimendi, etc needs to still come in.

But I will also say that Onana in the six should not be underestimated as a tactical option. The guy has top top anticipation of ball movement, and combined with Rice pushing up into the 8, gives us a Liverpool workman like midfield with Fabinho, Wijnuldum and Henderson.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We need both
Ins depend on outs as ever - these are no longer players who are so bad or of dubious levels of professionalism that you want to be having to leave players out of the squad because you bought and couldn't sell, especially for the 100k p/w + crew. Of course, you don't miss out on absolute targets (a la Rice) because you are waiting to sell, but we can't afford to buy rotation players unless there is space. We still don't know what's going to happen with Jorginho, and of course Partey, even if he ever gets fit, may be very difficult to shift on his wages after this season. Same goes elsewhere. Cedric's contract gives us a little wiggle room in defence, but out wide and up front...if you are after players to upgrade the bench rather than push on for a 1st choice spot, you need to be moving on some some the hale Enders or Trossard or Vieira.

Of course in an ideal world we shift on some of those on the fringes AND upgrade the subs bench calibre - but if we end up making a big splash up front or in midfield, some of those fringe guys may need to be retained for another year. Going to be an interesting summer - particularly as we also need to allow for pathways for the golden boys of the upcoming hale enders

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Of course in an ideal world we shift on some of those on the fringes AND upgrade the subs bench calibre
For the first time, I feel our bench is strong enough. We'll have guys like Zinchenko, Kiwior, Jesus/Havertz, and Trossard on the bench. An ideal world would actually be getting a better LF than Martinelli, and a better CM than Havertz/Jorginho even though some fans will cry all day about it but those improvements take us to the top

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I've gone off striker tbh.

We were a top 2 team last year and will be top 3 this year, with potential for a PL title. With Havertz and Jesus, the upside of another striker is less than the downside of an injury to Saka, Øde, Rice or Saliba/Gabriel. So backups/alternatives for those should be the priority imo, together with a playmaking midfielder to replace Jorgi if/when he leaves (could be either 6 or 8, attributes more important than position).

The most obvious like for like backup for Saka would be Kudus, it's a shame we didn't go for him last summer, it was such an obvious one. Now I really don't know. Feel Williams is a different profile.

Øde you probably can't find a like for like replacement so what you do is look for an 8/10 hybrid that can take creative responsibility when Øde misses out. Paqueta, Barella and maybe Musiala or Simons although the latter two might be too much 10's and too little 8's?

Onana is probably a shoo-in Rice replacement, but will he come and sit on the bench?

Jorginho I honestly don't know. FDJ or Luiz and play Rice/Onana as 6, although I really don't like this based on how we looked with Rice there vs Jorginho. Completely different dynamic.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom