• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aston Villa: Unai Enemy

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
What is your view, why couldn't Luiz do a similar job as Jorginho has recently? MotM against Liverpool and Newcastle, dominating play from deep, and playing great also against easier teams.

Is he so much worse passer, or doesn't have similar football IQ? Can't defend?

What do you think makes it that he couldn't flourish at DMF & CMF for Arsenal?

My impression was that you didn't have a proper DMF back then, and Luiz was your best option for it, even though he has been more of a CMF in his career.
He's blossomed this season because he's been able to get forward and assist the attack. That's why his numbers are high.
Playing alongside Kamara has given him that freedom, because Kamara is a pure DM so allows Luiz to be less responsible in defence.

Luiz was ok as a DM, but he couldn't get forward as much without risking leaving us exposed.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

He's blossomed this season because he's been able to get forward and assist the attack. That's why his numbers are high.
Playing alongside Kamara has given him that freedom, because Kamara is a pure DM so allows Luiz to be less responsible in defence.

Luiz was ok as a DM, but he couldn't get forward as much without risking leaving us exposed.
You didn't answer my question.

What are the qualities that Luiz lacks compared to Jorginho, who has been totally amazing recently against top teams, and also easier teams?

(You can take into account that Jorginho is already in his prime or over it, while Luiz will still develop as a midfielder and only coming to his prime.)

This will give a good picture if he can fit the DMF role well for Arsenal.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I've advocated for Douglas Luiz before and I think he's a good player. His productivity this season has surprised me a lot, and I expect it has surprised most people. 9g and 6a would be an amazing return from your LCM in a full season, let alone that we have about 10 games to go.

As a DM he barely contributed with regards to XGi, but I liked him as a DM as well. With Rice at the club it would seem to me Rice would be the more defending midfielder of the two, but both would probably provide a lot of defensive steel and the ability to go forward. I'd be more naturally inclined to go for a player like Barella at LCM, though, but Luiz could be a good option too. Anyway, quite amazing what Emery is doing at Villa. He's really developing players and allowing them to shine.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I just listened to it. Not my kind of music. If it’s rock give me Nickelback

Calling Sydney Sweeny "homely" & favouring Nickelback over Metallica.

Brother, your hot takes are simply cementing your l, already impressive, level of infamy on AM :lol:

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
You didn't answer my question.

What are the qualities that Luiz lacks compared to Jorginho, who has been totally amazing recently against top teams, and also easier teams?

(You can take into account that Jorginho is already in his prime or over it, while Luiz will still develop as a midfielder and only coming to his prime.)

This will give a good picture if he can fit the DMF role well for Arsenal.
I don't watch Jorginho anywhere near enough to be able to answer this question properly.
But given Jorginho plays alongside Declan Rice I imagine it's a similar situation. Rice does the pure DM role, Jorginho is more free to get forward.

But you'd have to tell me

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I don't watch Jorginho anywhere near enough to be able to answer this question properly.
But given Jorginho plays alongside Declan Rice I imagine it's a similar situation. Rice does the pure DM role, Jorginho is more free to get forward.

But you'd have to tell me
Jorginho has actually played deeper, and Rice does the pressing work and has great recovery speed and stamina. He has developed his attacking game like I expected he will.

The plan was to have Partey as DMF, Rice LCM and Ødegaard RCM mostly, but Partey has had the worst injuries of his career this season, which takes a lot to achieve.

I assume Luiz might play the LCM if they play together. But my point here is that I think there are not many areas that Luiz lacks much compared to Jorginho. He is a bit worse passer for example, but Luiz is still young for a midfielder, and Jorginho 32 years old, so he can improve that. Luiz might also have a bit worse positioning or defending, but it's the same situation that he can improve it. Luiz is faster than Jorginho.

Arsenal needs a player who can play both DMF & CMF at a good level, so there is good backup, but also so that the big money signings can play together. Arsenal is dominating most games, so it's different than playing even for Villa.

Luiz will cost like 80 million pounds I think, being half a year older than Rice and not HG, with 2 years in contract left.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wages at 89% of turnover, who's running Villa Peter Risdale ffs :lol:

Felt them winning the Conference was more important this season, but if those financial figures are true then I say getting Top 4 is probably better now.

Feel like them getting Champions League (which they really should do now I feel) will basically make everything more or less fine though.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul

Feel like them getting Champions League (which they really should do now I feel) will basically make everything fine though.

Sp**s and Villa have almost equally hard schedules; we'll see how it goes, but it's going to be very tight in the end. The game this weekend's gonna to be entertaining, can't wait. Hopefully Villa smash them hard.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Supposedly. We still won't be selling our most valuable asset for less than he's worth
How much do you think you’ll try for realistically?

Obviously he’s having a great season but don't see him going for more than Kane which is surely the benchmark?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Sp**s and Villa have almost equally hard schedules; we'll see how it goes, but it's going to be very tight in the end. The game this weekend's gonna to be entertaining, can't wait. Hopefully Villa smash them hard.

...well this has pretty much guaranteed Watkins is getting a hattrick this weekend, so that's at least 3 goals Villa will certainly get!

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
How much do you think you’ll try for realistically?

Obviously he’s having a great season but don't see him going for more than Kane which is surely the benchmark?
Harry Kane was 30 and had a year on his contract.
Watkins is 28 and has 4 years on his contract.

After the season he's having, and more than likely a Euros under his belt, I don't see why we wouldn't be pushing for 90-100m

But it's almost certainly irrelevant. He won't be leaving unless we really are in trouble financially

Stevo the Villan

Established Member

Felt them winning the Conference was more important this season, but if those financial figures are true then I say getting Top 4 is probably better now.

Feel like them getting Champions League (which they really should do now I feel) will basically make everything more or less fine though.
The Champions League revenue will help this. We're basically guaranteed CL now.
But it's the unfortunate reality of any club wanting to break into the top 4.

We can't all have massive revenues. Sometimes clubs need to gamble to make progress.

We have incredibly wealthy owners, they'll make it work

roz

Fake News Merchant
Harry Kane was 30 and had a year on his contract.
Watkins is 28 and has 4 years on his contract.

After the season he's having, and more than likely a Euros under his belt, I don't see why we wouldn't be pushing for 90-100m

But it's almost certainly irrelevant. He won't be leaving unless we really are in trouble financially
Watkins has Arsenal dna though….
Could see him asking for a transfer if we came knocking and offered 70 mill.

Tough one, would love Villa to get champions league but would make Watkins much harder to attain. Likewise with Luiz.

Personally would have loved McGinn to replace Xhaka. Think he’s really underrated. Proper player.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom