• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aston Villa: Unai Enemy

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Douglas Luiz has played 93 games as DMF for Villa in EPL, and 69 games as CMF. He is just coming to his prime. Yes he is better at CMF because of his skill set, but he can also be very good at DMF, a position that takes more time to mature in. Remember earlier in his career he was thought of as a CMF.

I doubt Arsenal will buy a LCM with all the midfielders already at the club. Arteta can play either Luiz or Rice at LCM, Jorginho will hopefully be at the club also. Or even Zinchenko if there are more good defenders at the club.

Yep not disagreeing with Douglas being a fit for this squad, just prefer Jacob R as a player. Would be happy with Doug.

Thrice

Will be an interesting summer for them because I believe if Sheffield United go down Villa have an obligation to buy back Cameron Archer. That's 10-20 million they'd probably rather not spend.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Will be an interesting summer for them because I believe if Sheffield United go down Villa have an obligation to buy back Cameron Archer. That's 10-20 million they'd probably rather not spend.
Aston Villa rejected a £10 million offer for Cameron Archer from Sheffield United a couple of weeks ago but have now agreed to let him go for a compromise fee and a buy-back clause. This means Villa have to repurchase Archer for £18 million in the summer of 2024 if the Blades suffer relegation to the Championship, Football Insiderunderstands.

Woow that’s terrible

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Aston Villa rejected a £10 million offer for Cameron Archer from Sheffield United a couple of weeks ago but have now agreed to let him go for a compromise fee and a buy-back clause. This means Villa have to repurchase Archer for £18 million in the summer of 2024 if the Blades suffer relegation to the Championship, Football Insiderunderstands.

Woow that’s terrible
This has been widely reported but it's such a mental deal that I can't really believe it's true

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
If this is true, and like I said above I have my doubts, then I imagine he'd be immediately sold in the same window so the fee we pay would be negligible

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Yeah it sounds too crazy. I can’t believe it either. Archer was signed after Sheffield sold their 2 best players and accepted relegation
My assumption is we have a buy back clause with some sort of stipulation depending on relegation (ie we pay more or less depending on if they go down). But it's been misreported as an obligation to buy back if they go down.

But I'm just guessing

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
It's worth noting that that figure includes allowable losses (according to FFP). I'm not across the figures myself but what I've read suggests that we still have some headroom to comply with FFP.

The (probable) CL revenue will certainly help improve that headroom though

Thrice

If this is true, and like I said above I have my doubts, then I imagine he'd be immediately sold in the same window so the fee we pay would be negligible

This guy seems to be fairly ITK on the Blades side.

I'm sure there will be clubs interested in him though.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I've got news for you, Douglas Luiz isn't a DM either
Still he has played more as a DMF for you according to Transfermarkt.

Arteta knows how to cook. It's also different to play DMF for Arsenal than Villa.

The new midfielder has to know how to play DMF & CMF, so he can play alongside Rice and Ødegaard. And that there is proper depth for every position.

Luiz is just coming to his prime, so he easily can get better at both positions.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Still he has played more as a DMF for you according to Transfermarkt.

Arteta knows how to cook. It's also different to play DMF for Arsenal than Villa.

The new midfielder has to know how to play DMF & CMF, so he can play alongside Rice and Ødegaard. And that there is proper depth for every position.

Luiz is just coming to his prime, so he easily can get better at both positions.
Oh he's played there plenty. Both Dean Smith and Steven Gerrard seemed to think he was a DM.

But it's only since he started playing as an 8 that he's turned into the player you see today. Kamara playing as the out and out DM is what has unleashed Luiz further up the pitch.

If Arsenal are looking for an 8 then he'd be a great signing. If they're looking for a 6 then he wouldn't

Stevo the Villan

Established Member

This guy seems to be fairly ITK on the Blades side.

I'm sure there will be clubs interested in him though.
Yep, like I said it's been widely reported, I just can't make any real sense out of it.
But yeah if that is the arrangement then I'd expect him to be doing a grandpa Simpson at Villa

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Oh he's played there plenty. Both Dean Smith and Steven Gerrard seemed to think he was a DM.

But it's only since he started playing as an 8 that he's turned into the player you see today. Kamara playing as the out and out DM is what has unleashed Luiz further up the pitch.

If Arsenal are looking for an 8 then he'd be a great signing. If they're looking for a 6 then he wouldn't
What is your view, why couldn't Luiz do a similar job as Jorginho has recently? MotM against Liverpool and Newcastle, dominating play from deep, and playing great also against easier teams.

Is he so much worse passer, or doesn't have similar football IQ? Can't defend?

What do you think makes it that he couldn't flourish at DMF & CMF for Arsenal?

My impression was that you didn't have a proper DMF back then, and Luiz was your best option for it, even though he has been more of a CMF in his career.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom