• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Why are people surprised? This guy was arguably our POTY next season.

Leno vs. Martinez was debatable, but only the worst agenda merchants could think Leno was a bum.

Definitely has scope to improve though. Needs to push shots outside the danger zone and be more dominant in the air.

I'm happy for him. I criticism players because I hope they read these forums and see what I want them to improve on and I think they would be wise to take my advice because it would help. I always want the best for Arsenal players.

But this is just penalties against kids. You expect him to save at least 2. But can he become more like Martinez on set pieces, confidence against proper players, better distribution? That is what we want to see in next games!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Leno vs. Martinez was debatable, but only the worst agenda merchants could think Leno was a bum.

Definitely has scope to improve though. Needs to push shots outside the danger zone and be more dominant in the air.

And this is the point that the Leno till I die merchants ( @Riou @El Granit-Coq @Macho ) dont seem to, or want to get.

Both keepers are great keepers, but we must not forget the standard set by Emi during his final spell with us. That is where Leno needs to be, consistently.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

Its just so refreshing to think there was ever a doubt that Leno was our N1.

Arteta knows a purple patch when he sees one, he played with Ramsey FFS.

Anyone who actually knew Leno could tell you in their sleep he has a mistake or two but is easily a WC GK. Guy was Neuers heir if it wasn't the politics of the German team.

SA Gunner

Its just so refreshing to think there was ever a doubt that Leno was our N1.

Arteta knows a purple patch when he sees one, he played with Ramsey FFS.

Anyone who actually knew Leno could tell you in their sleep he has a mistake or two but is easily a WC GK. Guy was Neuers heir if it wasn't the politics of the German team.

Well he only has saved two penalties so close to one another once in his entire time at the club.

It could just be a purple patch you know... like how you said with Emi ;)

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
And this is the point that the Leno till I die merchants ( @Riou @El Granit-Coq @Macho ) dont seem to, or want to get.

Both keepers are great keepers, but we must not forget the standard set by Emi during his final spell with us. That is where Leno needs to be, consistently.
Go to the Leno thread when he first joined. I criticised him well before he started for us. People know his weaknesses but they aren't enough to make us question his potential.

The way you guys were going about it was like Emi was the chosen one, that he deserved to be the undisputed starter after 15 good games in 11 years. Forgetting that Leno has been putting in good performances before he joined and after he joined.

SA Gunner

Go to the Leno thread when he first joined. I criticised him well before he started for us. People know his weaknesses but they aren't enough to make us question his potential.

The way you guys were going about it was like Emi was the chosen one, that he deserved to be the undisputed starter after 15 good games in 11 years. Forgetting that Leno has been putting in good performances before he joined and after he joined.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/benchmark

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Well he only has saved two penalties so close to one another once in his entire time at the club.

It could just be a purple patch you know... like how you said with Emi ;)
Thing is, it isnt... He was brilliant at Leverkusen, has been brilliant since joining us... If its a purple patch, thats a long 5+ seasons.

SA Gunner

Thing is, it isnt... He was brilliant at Leverkusen, has been brilliant since joining us... If its a purple patch, thats a long 5+ seasons.

But but but... he only saved 2 penalties in a single match in all his time at Arsenal.. It must be a purple patch... surely? We cannot judge his penalty saving ability so soon.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Thats absolute nonsense... He did not set a benchmark for Leno... The guy has been brilliant for 5 seasons+ the **** :lol:

Emi did nothing to even rattle Leno. Leno knew he was coming back as N1. Setting a new benchmark would mean Leno would have to outperform Emi to retain his spot... He never had to :facepalm:

If anything, the only benchmark Emi set was for any N2 we have. That is the level

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Leno vs Martinez is still a really interesting debate. I think one thing Martinez has over Leno is his sky high confidence - bordering on arrogance.

Take build-up play for example. Martinez used to ping risky balls out when playing from the back, taking all kinds of risks. Martinez would ask questions of his teammates.
Leno doesn't do that. He takes the safe option every time. It's why our build up is formulaic and predictable with Leno and downright risky but often more effective with Martinez.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Leno vs Martinez is still a really interesting debate. I think one thing Martinez has over Leno is his sky high confidence - bordering on arrogance.

Take build-up play for example. Martinez used to ping risky balls out when playing from the back, taking all kinds of risks. Martinez would ask questions of his teammates.
Leno doesn't do that. He takes the safe option every time. It's why our build up is formulaic and predictable with Leno and downright risky but often more effective with Martinez.
Elite passing from the back...never makes a mistake...like having Pirlo in goal...

:lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I dont want to hear any "we can't judge him off of one game" from you dickheads because you made the decision to judge martinez off of a purple patch over Leno's two seasons work.

If we judged Martinez of a purple patch we would have said he is the best keeper in the world. He was that good.

But in his latest game with Villa against Fulham he dropped a very easy ball and gave away a plunder goal. Only to be saved by the VAR because of a defender foul earlier to an attacker.

This is what I warned against with a possible purple patch. ~15 games doesn't tell if he can remain without mistakes or how he recovers from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup

Latest posts

Top Bottom