• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arson Finger

Because he's not nearly as catastrophic as the Toxic Trio of Luiz, Sokraris, and Mustafi.
He's also younger than them, so there's still a chance he could improve, unlike them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Can someone please explain to me why this guy escapes criticism?
Chambers always had good stock with fans tbf.

He was quite bad today. I think it's very damning that he gets by on being slightly less bad than the rest of our terrible defenders. He will at least give us a few good games against fodder so I credit him, hes not completely terrible. But hes someone I'd only use as a backup at this point. Like CM, CB needs a drastic overhaul, it's not even funny. I reckon at least the academy CBs like McGuiness and Clarke are at least coachable even if horribly inexperienced. I dont want to see any of this lot. Holding also gets away with being just OK rather than actually being a good CB, but he at least can look decent besides someone who knows what they're doing.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Chambers always had good stock with fans tbf.

He was quite bad today. I think it's very damning that he gets by on being slightly less bad than the rest of our terrible defenders. He will at least give us a few good games against fodder so I credit him, hes not completely terrible. But hes someone I'd only use as a backup at this point. Like CM, CB needs a drastic overhaul, it's not even funny. I reckon at least the academy CBs like McGuiness and Clarke are at least coachable even if horribly inexperienced. I dont want to see any of this lot. Holding also gets away with being just OK rather than actually being a good CB, but he at least can look decent besides someone who knows what they're doing.

Quite bad is an understatement. People will point to tracking runners as the problem for the goals. I guarantee that and defender who can run at a relarively normal pace steps across and deals with Jesus and De Bruyne for both of those goals.

Chambers has zero agility and pace and the same goes for Holding. In 1v1 situations vs anyone with a bit of pace they are both dead. I would literally keep them both as squad options and pray to God our first choice centre halves are never injured at the same time.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Chambers and holding are both bargain bin buys courtesy of wenger, can we just once spend some money on the genuine ****ing article and stop paying around when it comes to buying a center back.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Chambers and holding are both bargain bin buys courtesy of wenger, can we just once spend some money on the genuine ****ing article and stop paying around when it comes to buying a center back.
We already bought Saliba, and playing Holding or Chambers next to him should already be better than what we're seeing this season.
The bigger issue than Chambers is "experienced articles" in our squad: Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz. What to do with them will be a huge problem when rebuilding our backline, but you guys can focus on Chambers if that's something that makes you happy

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Strikes me as someone who will be fairly decent once he is actually coached how to defend properly. Probably fit in at a bottom half club with a very defensive minded coach. And a low defensive line.

Again though, he's not being trained properly and hes playing in a different defense each game. The issue goes well beyond his ability. I'm more concerned about his lack of speed and agility.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't speak for others, but for me its...

Waiting to see 1st if it's just a one off or recurrent issue in subsequent matches...

One off? He is a centre back who cannot cover his fullback. Whenever he gets dragged out he gets monteroed. It doesn't matter who the player is. If they are faster than him which is highly likely as he is one of the slowest player's in the league, they are getting past him every single time.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Yep, should've sold in summer. His relatively bright start at RB is over and now he's just his old (below) average self.

Worse in CB against any decent attacker. Though admittedly all our defenders are 'show defending' or 'alibi defending', meaning they pretend to defend/block a player but meanwhile give away too much space and time to the attacker (is there a term for this)? Luiz is the king of this.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Wait a minute, why does it say I started this thread?

I surely didn't, is it just a bug on my end?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He’s a good utility option who is under the spotlight because of how bad our CBs are. We know he’s not a world beater but he’s a talented player who can certainly do a job here.

It’s not so much his speed, it’s his agility. Pace should never really be a hindrance for CBs IMO. They have the whole game in front of them, they should know when to push out and when to drop in.

Chambers just isn’t agile at all. The way he turns, the way he positions his body, it looks like such a task for him. That’s why I didn’t see him as a viable RB option. With the right CB partner there’s a future for him here IMO.

*cough* Saliba! *cough*

GoonerJay24

One off? He is a centre back who cannot cover his fullback. Whenever he gets dragged out he gets monteroed. It doesn't matter who the player is. If they are faster than him which is highly likely as he is one of the slowest player's in the league, they are getting past him every single time.

He had a really solid match up against Dan James when we played United earlier in the season

Obviously on Sunday he was bad but I still think he's been the best performing defender this season. Which isn't saying much tbf given the playing personnel.

pikey2000

guy has played RB and CB this season and probably hasn't played in the same back 4 with the same partner in 2 games straight, how any of our back 4 can be expected to gain form/strike up relationships is beyond me, because of that he esacpes criticism as he is chucked about the place filling gaps and despite note being agile enough does his best.

If we had a top CB he would be the capable partner, much like VVD is Pool's elite CB and Matip/Gomez are steady enough to parnter him, problem is we are looking at Chambers and wishing he turns into our elite CB and that will never happen.

You can't just bin everyone though, we can't get 10 players in and 10 players out in one window and as others have said, there are bigger fish to fry, Chambers at the very least is home grown and younger, therefore you get rid of Sokratis/Mustafi first, then Luiz AND get some quality in before you think about ditching Chambers.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He had a really solid match up against Dan James when we played United earlier in the season

Obviously on Sunday he was bad but I still think he's been the best performing defender this season. Which isn't saying much tbf given the playing personnel.

No he didn't. He got booked in the first 5 mins, tucked inside and let his winger engage with James. He basically hid the whole game.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I think we only need to listen to the people who are skewering us every week (eg de Bruyne) to know that people hitting at our defence from all angles with no support from up top is not going to make anyone look good in our defence. Our defensive tactics are absolute chaos. I don't believe that managers are just coming to the conclusion that we won't organise, it's like Emery tried and then gave up, couldn't get through. We are the only team in the league that makes no attempt to organise their team defensively rightnow seems to me. I think this is a philosophy thing and the new manager needs to physically, manfully wrench us away from this philosophy otherwise nothing will change. Personnel like Chambers, mustafi, Luiz etc is only part of this. I think a lot of this is an arrogant, ingrained philosophy in the club that we have some divine right to attack and pay no care to defending,. Wengerball if you will. Its evident in the attitude of some of fans as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom