• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
That's probably the best summary of what he could offer and I think board had the same ideas giving him contract extension.
Selling him to finance a decent replacement doesn't make sense as he already is a decent player with the advantage of being versatile.

He was given an extension when Gazidis and Sven were still here so that might not be all that relevant anymore. Also you don’t sell him to finance a replacement you sell him to increase the transfer budget and help rebuild the squad. £20m for Chambers can go towards a CB or winger who can improve the first team. We have enough squad depth in the areas Chambers can play.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
He was given an extension when Gazidis and Sven were still here so that might not be all that relevant anymore. Also you don’t sell him to finance a replacement you sell him to increase the transfer budget and help rebuild the squad. £20m for Chambers can go towards a CB or winger who can improve the first team. We have enough squad depth in the areas Chambers can play.
I agree with the last sentence. as much as I like the guy and want him to succeed here, but if Calum was not ours and we were offered his services for 20 mil, or have that added to our budget, we would pick the 2nd option in a heartbeat

ptrcopp

The quota is for non-homegrown. You can’t have more than 17 non-homegrown. You can have as many homegrown as you want within the squad limit of 25 whether that be none, one, three, six, ten.

As I said, Chambers isn’t needed to meet any quotas.

The quota is that in a named 25 man squad you have at least 8 listed as home grown, ie, with the PL rules, they have been trained within England for 3 years until the age of 23.

But, even if you are right, he would still be classified as ‘non-homegrown’. Something Elbeny, for example, who is far worse than Chambers at CB, probably on par with at CM, and untested at RB, and anyone we could get similarly priced we could sell Chambers for would not be, is not (and would probably be classed as ‘Foreign’ should Brexit enable that kind of situation in future seasons).

But as I said in this post, the previous post, and other posters have said, it’s more than his home-grow status - he has proved himself reliable in 3 positions, especially at CB, where he played with us for many important games, and at CM where he has nailed down a place at a PL team.

ptrcopp

I agree with the last sentence. as much as I like the guy and want him to succeed here, but if Calum was not ours and we were offered his services for 20 mil, or have that added to our budget, we would pick the 2nd option in a heartbeat

I agree with this, but the likelyhood we would get that is very low. We a team where we can charge that for back-ups who have been an n loan for a season.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He’s been a standout player for Fulham this season, interesting he’s been deployed in midfield. I remember Wenger saying a few times he could see Chambers eventually playing in midfield.

Still needs to improve positionally. But he’s a good physical player and very competent technically. Scored a couple of quality volleys. Looking forward to him re-joining us.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully doing enough to get a nice offer in the summer. It does not look good for him that he’s getting relegated AGAIN.
The teams he went to were set up to fail in that regard.

I have been impressed by him recently. Against West Ham he looked excellent and on that display the type of player we could actually use. He read the game excellently made some great interceptions and moved the ball well. It just so happens that he is in the same team as Ryan Sessegnon who looked awful. For a converted left back he doesn't understand how to defend. Same thing against Chelsea.

I have watched him quite a bit this season and i have been fairly impressed with his performances in a role thats not natural to him. He come out recently in an interview and said he still sees himself and wants to be a CB and i think this time at DM will only help that. He can do a job at DM and CB and he could fill in and do a capable job at RB. I think his one to keep especially as it helps with our quota. we should and will be shipping out the elnenys of this world because Emery clearly doesnt fancy him, Im sure there were stages this season when he would have wished Chambers wasnt out on loan.

Bring him back, Get a pre season under his belt for Emery to have a good look at him then decide.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Chambers is 24, how many more times do we need to have a look at him! He's not good enough for us unless we are happy to be a mid table team. CB, DM, RB wherever, he will never reach the level we need. Sell in the summer, if we can get £15m great, if it has to be £10m so be it.

Jae

Chambers is 24, how many more times do we need to have a look at him! He's not good enough for us unless we are happy to be a mid table team. CB, DM, RB wherever, he will never reach the level we need. Sell in the summer, if we can get £15m great, if it has to be £10m so be it.

He's surely worth keeping over the likes of Mustafi and El Neny though surely, he is a better play us we will probably get more from them on the market.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
He's surely worth keeping over the likes of Mustafi and El Neny though surely, he is a better play us we will probably get more from them on the market.

Maybe but I'd sell all 3. Its not that I don't like Chambers, I just feel we need quality back ups, not players who can do an ok job when needed. I'd sell Iwobi & AMN as well, they are not up to it. Iwobi maybe as a squad player but if a decent offer came in, sell.

Jae

Maybe but I'd sell all 3. Its not that I don't like Chambers, I just feel we need quality back ups, not players who can do an ok job when needed. I'd sell Iwobi & AMN as well, they are not up to it. Iwobi maybe as a squad player but if a decent offer came in, sell.

Fair enough. I think Chambers and Iwobi still have a role here but horses for courses I suppose. I'm more concerned about the state of some of our first 11 though rather than the backups!

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Disagree with Iwobi, but we should sell Chambers at an English premium and bring in a defender of world class standing or at least world class potential. We could get north of 25m for Chambers, probably Maitland-Niles as well. That buys a top quality cb and maybe one who can fill in at rb as well.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Disagree with Iwobi, but we should sell Chambers at an English premium and bring in a defender of world class standing or at least world class potential. We could get north of 25m for Chambers, probably Maitland-Niles as well. That buys a top quality cb and maybe one who can fill in at rb as well.

No way £25m for Chambers, £15m max. Iwobi is so frustrating, I was hoping for a breakout season from him. He's played more games but hasn't impressed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta
Top Bottom