• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers (Out)

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
None of those guys are first choice though so it's far from "relying" on them. When it comes to it, I believe Koscielny-Mustafi-Monreal will end up being our first choice trio with the three you mentioned more than capable backups and Kolasinac as an emergency.
Fair enough, but I was looking at the worst case scenario where Koscielny and Mustafi are out for an extended period leaving us with 2 inxperienced guys + Mertesacker who can only play 1 game a week. Seems risky imo.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough, but I was looking at the worst case scenario where Koscielny and Mustafi are out for an extended period leaving us with 2 inxperienced guys + Mertesacker who can only play 1 game a week. Seems risky imo.

Van Dijk, whilst being the ideal signing, remains but a pipe dream.

I'm hoping we can save ourselves the trouble of being eventually usurped by Chelsea & expend our efforts on getting Koulibaly.

arsmile

Established Member
cant see us selling him now that Gabriel's gone surely- we'd be well short and we're not really linked with any incoming CBs seriously

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Really? The guy played in pre-season for us, Mustafi was even later back, no pre-season, and made the bench?

Well this is what an article just prior to the Leicester City game said:

I’ve not even mentioned Calum Chambers yet as he’s not featured much in pre-season after arriving back late following his exploits at the U21 European Championships but he’s another player who may be unavailable on Friday.

I'm just passing it along to answer a question. I would imagine both he and Mustafi will be available tomorrow.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
We should bolster but I'm honestly chuffed that to know Arséne believes he has a future here. As I previously said, there's a promising CB in there but he needs to be nurtured.

Hopefully both the domestic cups & Europa League give him a chance to repay this act of faith.

Agreed. People forget how young he still is (22) and base their opinions on what they saw when he was 19 and thrown to the wolves. He had a good season for Middlesbrough and there's no reason he can't be a valuable piece to the squad this year. He has a chance to develop into a very good player. But if you're not a big name, you get crucified for every mistake you make.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I'm just passing it along to answer a question. I would imagine both he and Mustafi will be available tomorrow.

Don't think Chambers will be in the squad. Merte and Mustafi are in the squad. (Bellerin, Ox, Holding, Mustafi, Merte, Monreal, Kolasinac) 1 CB and 1 WB is enough for the defense.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Beginning to doubt if Wenger knows how to develop a young CB.

We sign them, they show promise, we play them, they struggle, out the team they go and once your out of the team you're shaky the next time you get a chance, so the doubts now set in.

Vicious circle.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We sign them, they show promise, we play them, they struggle, out the team they go and once your out of the team you're shaky the next time you get a chance, so the doubts now set in.

Vicious circle.

Similar to the way City play, you have to have supreme confidence to play in our defence because you'll not have the protection you get in other teams. It takes a certain type of character to cope with it. Pep thinks Stones can handle it and from what we've seen Holding for the most part has been able to cope fairly well, or at least doing until he came up against a blood-thirsty Jamie Vardy last week. I think there are very few young CB's who're suited to the way we play and clearly Wenger believes Holding and Chambers are two of them. We'll have to see if he's proven right on Chambers because he's certainly had a mixed time of it, hopefully the Boro loan will have done him good.

say yes

forum master baiter

We sign them, they show promise, we play them, they struggle, out the team they go and once your out of the team you're shaky the next time you get a chance, so the doubts now set it.

Vicious circle.

Young CBs are hard to 'develop' in general as so much of defending is about experience.

Look at guys like Smalling and Jones at United, Zouma at Chelsea etc. Even Varane at Real. Al hyped to high heaven and none have really made it yet.

Think people need to learn to be patient.
Couple opposite of forward players where you know whether they've got it or not early on.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Are we relying on any of them though?

All backups.
Probably phrased poorly, but Kos needs to be managed carefully and Mertesacker is nearing the end; as much as I rate them, having to play Holding and Chambers together wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Good shout on Koulibaly!

He's got the requisite physicality along with the pace to keep up with the opposition.

I'd also fancy our chances with Napoli to be better than Southampton in parting with their man.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Agreed. People forget how young he still is (22) and base their opinions on what they saw when he was 19 and thrown to the wolves. He had a good season for Middlesbrough and there's no reason he can't be a valuable piece to the squad this year. He has a chance to develop into a very good player. But if you're not a big name, you get crucified for every mistake you make.

Well said. Some still give him grief for that harrowing performance at Swansea 3 seasons ago when anyone at right back that evening would've been left in Montero's wake.

He'll give a good account of himself whenever he's given a chance but it's worth remembering footballers are not infallible & will have off days.

KingVerse

Vicious circle.

You just described Senderos career for us. He was up and coming and we had high hopes for him, then Drogba happened. Rest is history.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom