• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cesc Fabregas

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The top comment on the BBC article about Cesc's retirement is genuinely...

"I miss the days when players would retire, open a pub and then fall into extreme financial difficulties"

...ah yes, truly a better time 😅

Regista21

Fabregas is probably the most misunderstood figure of Arsenal's "dog years" (2006-2018).

That's because most of the supporters don't quite understand the financial Civil War the club went through during most of a decade.

Many people still think it was the stadium that withhold investment from football, but the truth is:

Usmanov had a minor share of Arsenal. Kroenke had to buy it from him. Everytime Arsenal was sucessful, it became more expensive for Kroenke to acquire the full control of it. Usmanov was hoping that it became so expensive for him that he would have to sell his majority share.

As a consequence of this Civil War, Arsenal had to go through a decade without being able to compete. Not because we didn't want to compete, but because we couldn't.

Now, imagine you are Cesc Fabregas. You are a young player, now reaching full maturity, just won a World Cup and is seeing all of your childhood friends reaching amazing success at the club level as well, but yourself is in a club where the norm is to not win anything because this would make a financial acquisition more expensive.

You don't know when this civil war ends, too. Could end next season, could end a decade later. Being 23 years old, you have 7-10 years to play at a World Class level. Is is fair to drop away your career in a place you know that don't want to compete? To give away your career because of a corporate war?

Fabregas was right in moving to Barcelona back then. It wasn't his fault, our corporate leaders failed him for allowing our club to be involved in such corporate war that destroyed the club for so long.

What I feel he could have avoided is coming back for a London rival. I understand the options were limited - he wanted to live in a big city, was leaving Barcelona, Madrid was out of option, didn't want Munich because of his problems with Pep and Milan teams were in ruins. So London was the only option, but Arsenal was still in the middle of the corporate warfare.

There was Chelsea left. And Juventus. I would choose Juventus, but I can understand his decision.

Black Noir

Fantastic player. Best young player I’ve ever seen. Prefer the 04-07 as a player a lot more than the cesc after. Even though he was better stats wise later one.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Loved Cesc and never felt any ill will towards him.

Left us to join his boyhood club who just so happened to be by some distance the best team in the world, playing with his childhood mates, one of whom just so happened to be the best player in the world...and in his home town. Very hard to see anyone in the same shoes not making the same choice.

And when he went to Chelsea, he wanted to come back here, but Wenger said no.

Was amazing 05-2009. Deserved more club success for us as he played with a level of testicular fortitude that the more overtly talented Özil never got close to. Would be immense in this team too

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Had he just not joined Chelsea he would have been in my good books actually. His latter career shows he didn’t absolutely have to play there.

Have no ill will he’s done what’s best for him, but the way fans go on about him shows we’ve been sh*t for a long time. Hopefully Ødegaard etches this guy out of the convo for good.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I think the poll leaning 60/40 to Özil is kinda funny honestly, lots of people still bitter about Cesc.

Both top players on their day capable of unlocking any defence but Cesc had that heartbeat feel about him where Özil kinda drifted in and out of games.

Still think we could have accommodated both had the stars aligned and we bought in a dedicated DM, played Cesc as a DLP/B2B hybrid and Özil ahead, would have been nuts with Alexis in the team as well.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think the poll leaning 60/40 to Özil is kinda funny honestly, lots of people still bitter about Cesc.

Both top players on their day capable of unlocking any defence but Cesc had that heartbeat feel about him where Özil kinda drifted in and out of games.

Still think we could have accommodated both had the stars aligned and we bought in a dedicated DM, played Cesc as a DLP/B2B hybrid and Özil ahead, would have been nuts with Alexis in the team as well.

During one of the website upgrades, the votes got switched around on "accident"

Cesc is actually winning 60/40.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Think it’s more Real Madrid Özil was considered more than the version that got into twitter wars with the club.

Could also be bitterness though sure.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Had he just not joined Chelsea he would have been in my good books actually. His latter career shows he didn’t absolutely have to play there.

Have no ill will he’s done what’s best for him, but the way fans go on about him shows we’ve been sh*t for a long time. Hopefully Ødegaard etches this guy out of the convo for good.

Just out of curiosity, where do you think Cesc should have gone? He wasn't a fit at Barca, and wanted to come back here but we already had Özil so Wenger said no.

At the end of the day he's a footballer and chose to go to a big club that would have him.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Just out of curiosity, where do you think Cesc should have gone? He wasn't a fit at Barca, and wanted to come back here but we already had Özil so Wenger said no.

At the end of the day he's a footballer and chose to go to a big club that would have him.

I think Juventus and some other big Italian clubs were in for him and seeing as he now plays in their 2nd division I'm sure that was a viable option. Utd tried to sign him multiple times, but he didn't want to play for Moyes (not that this was that much better).

He had far more choice at top level than the average player anyways.

Regista21

I think Juventus and some other big Italian clubs were in for him and seeing as he now plays in their 2nd division I'm sure that was a viable option. Utd tried to sign him multiple times, but he didn't want to play for Moyes (not that this was that much better).

He had far more choice at top level than the average player anyways.
There was only one viable competitive italian team back in 2014 - Juventus. Indeed, if you looked all around Europe, you can see that:
Spain: Barcelona and Madrid were not a option, of course.
Italy: Juventus was an option. Milan and Inter Milan were in crisis. All the others were not competitive.
Germany: Fabregas didn't fit in Klopp system, probably. And Fabregas wouldn't join a Guardiola side after their problems in Barcelona.
England: Finally, in England there was 5 teams. Man City and United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. The first three were probably out of consideration because Fabregas wouldn't like to live in Manchester/Liverpool area. He always moved around buzzy jet-set areas, like Monaco, London and Barcelona.
Arsenal and Chelsea left, Wenger apparently said no for a comeback.

So Fabregas was left between Juventus and Chelsea as the only viable options. He probably chose to play for a Mourinho side, as he probably tought a Mourinho side would be more competitive on UCL - The only title left for him to win.

Funny enough, the Wenger decision to not have Fabregas back probably cost Arsenal the 2014-15 and or the 2015-16 Premier League title.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

There was only one viable competitive italian team back in 2014 - Juventus. Indeed, if you looked all around Europe, you can see that:
Spain: Barcelona and Madrid were not a option, of course.
Italy: Juventus was an option. Milan and Inter Milan were in crisis. All the others were not competitive.
Germany: Fabregas didn't fit in Klopp system, probably. And Fabregas wouldn't join a Guardiola side after their problems in Barcelona.
England: Finally, in England there was 5 teams. Man City and United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. The first three were probably out of consideration because Fabregas wouldn't like to live in Manchester/Liverpool area. He always moved around buzzy jet-set areas, like Monaco, London and Barcelona.
Arsenal and Chelsea left, Wenger apparently said no for a comeback.

So Fabregas was left between Juventus and Chelsea as the only viable options. He probably chose to play for a Mourinho side, as he probably tought a Mourinho side would be more competitive on UCL - The only title left for him to win.

Funny enough, the Wenger decision to not have Fabregas back probably cost Arsenal the 2014-15 and or the 2015-16 Premier League title.

No.

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I would give Fabregas a chance within the club structures if he makes the grade. He seems intelligent and also seems serious about coaching football.

I can see where Cesc is coming from. He wanted to achieve in his career, and he was willing to force a move for that. But he also knows that Arsenal is his real home because of what the club has done for him I think he wants to come back, get a chance and take it, and make right with the club.

Not everyone will want that, sure. But if he is good enough, let him come back and pay for his sins.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I would give Fabregas a chance within the club structures if he makes the grade. He seems intelligent and also seems serious about coaching football.

I can see where Cesc is coming from. He wanted to achieve in his career, and he was willing to force a move for that. But he also knows that Arsenal is his real home because of what the club has done for him I think he wants to come back, get a chance and take it, and make right with the club.

Not everyone will want that, sure. But if he is good enough, let him come back and pay for his sins.
Lets face it, if he returns in due course all that really matters is how good he is as a coach. Even with the anger from many, there is still enough credit in his Arsenal bank for him to be accepted warmly fairly quickly as long as he does a good job.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom