• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Champions League 2007/2008.

Biggus

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Lock, burn, and bury this f****g thread! lol

:lol: Come on Anthony, that's not the attitude, It's not that important if ManU and Chel$ki contest every CL final.

We all know that we play the best football- and thats all that matters in the end- In fact I consider morally we won. :wink:

Gurgen

Established Member
Only ManU and Chelsea don't contest every CL final. Chelsea were playing their first, ManU their first in 9 years.

Try again Biggus.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
I love it when people don't get Biggus' "old-timer" words, especially when he puts "if" in between.

Sammer

Established Member
Some observations:

It's amazing how such a great goalkeeper such as Cech, repeatedly sucks in penalty shootouts. He never looked like saving one and it was all down to Ronaldo's arrogance and stupidity that he actually caught one.

Lampard. What a fake he is. Besides that tap-in, he was none-existant, invisible, yet he gets hailed by the Chelski fans as "Lampard ran the midifield".

Avram Grant. Feel sorry for him and the great chance to demask the "special one" as what he is - an overrated media figure who couldn't win one trophy in the season with the most expensive squad in history.

Directness. Yes, we play nicer one-touch football, but both ManU and Chelsea have this immense, goal-threatening directness in their play, which we had in former times (the unbeaten season) - and which needs to come back somehow. You need that balance to win things. We currently don't have it.

Lukazan

Established Member
You should've mentioned that the one penalty Cech did 'save' actually hit him square in the head. I didn't notice until I watched the penalty shoot-out again.

number_0

Established Member
I cant believe how lucky manure were tbh, true champions create their own luck, but the way chelsea hit the post 2 times and missed numreous sitters really ticked me off, typical united game, oppositions missing chance after chance, i cant think this ever happened when we play, because average opposiotions become theirry henry when they play us(eg alidiere).

overroll manu deserve it, they had an easier route of the 4 english teams, imo.

number_0

Established Member
Lukazan said:
You should've mentioned that the one penalty Cech did 'save' actually hit him square in the head. I didn't notice until I watched the penalty shoot-out again.

**** i forgot about that!
I remember when cech saved that one, i said cech had a jens moment there!

what i loved the look on ronaldo when he initially stopped and was suprised that cech was already rolling on the floor like the average kirkland/howard/carson.

Rocafella

Established Member
UEFA have said they are going to review TV footage before making a decision whether to charge John Terry for spitting on Tevez. Didn't see it myself but i've read from one or two places it was a blatant spit towards Tevez. If true, i'm glad the scummy **** lost it for Chelsea. The guy has no class and to an extent i'm even happier Rio will be taking the England captincy off of him. I doubt Capello will give it back to Terry if he's found guilty.

Lukazan

Established Member
I'd love to condemn that **** for spitting but the blatant fact is that he didn't. It doesn't even look like he does either.

Seems to me he was wiping his nose on his sleeve to cover his mouth while he insulted Tevez. Probably racially too.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lukazan said:
In My impression on Cech's records of saving penalty, I'd say he never never impresses me in that aspect. It's really funny to watch a top goalkeep having that kind of penalty performance. Cech is way behind Jens and probably worse than Almunia as well.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Sammer said:
Some observations:

It's amazing how such a great goalkeeper such as Cech, repeatedly sucks in penalty shootouts. He never looked like saving one and it was all down to Ronaldo's arrogance and stupidity that he actually caught one.

Lampard. What a fake he is. Besides that tap-in, he was none-existant, invisible, yet he gets hailed by the Chelski fans as "Lampard ran the midifield".

Avram Grant. Feel sorry for him and the great chance to demask the "special one" as what he is - an overrated media figure who couldn't win one trophy in the season with the most expensive squad in history.

Directness. Yes, we play nicer one-touch football, but both ManU and Chelsea have this immense, goal-threatening directness in their play, which we had in former times (the unbeaten season) - and which needs to come back somehow. You need that balance to win things. We currently don't have it.
Spot on with Cech. Pathetic PK goalie. In fact, I think Cronaldo one was his first save of a penalty in his chelea career.

famous no 10

Established Member
For me, that just shows the absolute lack of class from chelski and their circus...diving, cheating bunch of dirty, arrogant chavs...I have no sympathy whatsoever for the overhyped bully that is john terry.

...and who should lead them up the stairs to pick up their losers medal? Not captain marvel, but Peter Kenyon, who even had the audacity to let Platini put a medal around his neck. For what? He's never even played the game in his life! Joke of a club...I'm only glad that Abramovich was humiliated in Moscow... nasty, dirty, "club" with an even nastier owner.

Biggus

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Only ManU and Chelsea don't contest every CL final. Chelsea were playing their first, ManU their first in 9 years.

Try again Biggus.

I sorry you don't understand Gurgen......I was merely underlining to people (in a sarcastic way) who don't subscribe to the belief that winning is everything- no matter how it is achieved- if they were in any doubt, that watching ManU/Chel$ki contest the biggest prize hurts so much that any nice fuzzy warm feeling they might get from enjoying the way we play is insignificant, and indeed even claiming it as some sort of compensation- is an insult.....

Style is nothing.

Winning is everything- no matter how it is achieved.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Style counts for something whether you win or lose.
Winning isn't everything - it's the most important thing though-, and the way you achieve it matters as well. Don't tell me you'd be happy winning things even though you've been cheating all along?

What has to be remembered though is that Chelsea and Man U are on another planet financially. Even Liverpool seem ahead of us (I don't think we could have spent what they did last summer). Not winning trophies hurts a lot, but people have to be realistic.
Comparing us to Man U and Chelsea is even funny to some extent, because they're just much more powerful than us. How much did they spend in recent seasons? Even if Arsène had decided to spend we couldn't have matched them in a million years. The fact that people keep comparing us to them is actually a big compliment.
Note that I'm only talking from a financial point of view - not talking about the fanbase, the class or the stadium.

In the end, winning things is very tough, especially when you're behind financially, so developing some good football matters as well. Of course I'd rather win, that goes without saying really, but since it can't always work, the good football we've been playing makes it less hurtful. I would be a liar if I denied it. Watching **** football and having a trophyless season is a lot worse than having a trophyless while developing some attractive football.
And since you're a pragmatic, the good football we've been playing keeps us at the top in people's mind, whether we win or lose. If we're considered one of the best in Europe, it's not only because of what we've won but because of the way we play. So, no, style isn't nothing whether you're an idealist or a pragmatic... or maybe both.

Biggus

Established Member
I'm sorry Stiiphunn, I should have been clearer in my last line. I meant the style of football with which we achieve success is not important. Of course cheating and dragging ourselves down to- especially Chel$kis level is not acceptable- although they do exemplify the "win at all costs attitude" which has brought them some success- but certainly not in per portion to the amounts spent.

How can we be considered one of the best teams in Europe, with such a pathetic record?

We're all Arsenal supporters here, and we all want to see the team win things, of course in a ideal world- we would win everything playing entertaining football. But the way things are at the moment with our financial situation- this is simply not possible. We must cut our cloth to suit our measure We can't compete with the top teams by attacking them and trying to destroy them- we just don't have those sort of players. Forget this obsession with possession.....It has only brought success to teams who were very very good, and even then only fleeting.
The counter-attacking style grounded in a great defence has proved itself time and again, and most recently for us in 2004.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Fair enough for your last line. Scared me for a sec there. lol.

I see you've mentionned the same idea in another thread about the attacking game and the need to have money to play it with success. But again I fail to see the logic behind this. Or more precisely, I think I see what you mean but I don't agree with you.
1/ A possession game doesn't mean having a bad defense. I do not think it is exclusive. You can be strong defensively and have a good possession game.
2/ I think we have the players to play that kind of game and this season proves it to some extent. Plus "possession players" are not more expensive than other players.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom