• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chris Smalling

ricky1985

Established Member
Well, I think we're definitely going to bid for him, Wenger's reaction said it all really. It's whether Fulham are prepared to sell at this point or not, we won't be paying over the odds, so it's not as if we're going to force their hand. I think Hodgson is a man of such class that he would see the opportunity for Smalling to join a club such as ours as too big an opportunity for the lad to miss out on.

So yes, I think we'll get him, but I'm not sure how ready he'd be to contribute. Like I said above I watched the Chelsea/Fulham second half from 3 weeks ago. It was his 1st team debut, but he was outstanding, so maybe he'll react well to stepping into the big time?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Maybe not this window. I think Wenger wants to sign him in the next window.

Illusion

Established Member
Would be nice to get him, he'd be a Gallas replacement and could be brought in next season if Gallas is still up to it by then.

It really depends on whether they want over £10m or not, as I don't see Wenger paying more than that.

Segway

Illusion said:
It really depends on whether they want over £10m or not, as I don't see Wenger paying more than that.

I don't think Wenger will pay more than half of that for such an unproven player.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I would be more then happy if we signed him and loaned him back to Fulham for the rest of the season.

It would be beneficial to both clubs. After all Smalling has very little Premiership experience.

dutchMasta

"Arsenal have made an approach for Chris Smalling in a deal which could eventually rise to £7million but have backed down by seeing his injured for the rest of the season"
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Smalling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Smalling</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fake right? First I've heard of this. If it's true, then the loan move back is a good move.

True Gooner

Established Member
The thing is, he's only played a handful of Premier league games and he's worth £7m. Could you imagine how much more he'd be worth once he starts doing well on a regular basis? I think we're right to act quickly here.

Del Boy

Established Member
I think the price is very over the top tbh. He has only made one PL start ever. The only regular football he has ever had is at non league level and even that was only 12 appearances.

I can't understand how someone like Ramsey costs 5m when he even played in a FA Cup final and Smalling will cost 7m.

Meanwhile we are letting Senderos leave for nothing..

dbig

Leave the penny pinching to Arsène? I don't remember him paying over the odds for anyone recently.

ricky1985

Established Member
Del Boy said:
I think the price is very over the top tbh. He has only made one PL start ever. The only regular football he has ever had is at non league level and even that was only 12 appearances.

I can't understand how someone like Ramsey costs 5m when he even played in a FA Cup final and Smalling will cost 7m.

Meanwhile we are letting Senderos leave for nothing..
Potential top class Englsih centrebacks are hard to come by.

McIntyre

Established Member
Del Boy said:

It's the difference between buying from a club in the Championship who are thankful for any money they can get (given that only a few years ago they were inches away from administration and still have debts to pay) and buying from a Premiership club who have no need to sell their most promising prospect.

Plus, with Cardiff not necessarily likely to reach the Premiership or see European football or Cup finals again in the near future there was no guarantee that Ramsey would reach his potential while playing for them. As far as Cardiff were concerned £5m might have turned out to be the best offer they were ever going to get, and for a 17 year old kid was a pretty good price.

Whereas at Fulham Smalling's Premiership experience can only improve, he's likely to see further European action and could graduate to the senior England team a few years down the line, so Fulham could be looking at a much much higher price for him in just a couple of season's time, while having a potentially very good player in their squad in the meantime.

I mean, look at Rio Ferdinand, after playing in the Prem for West Ham for a few years he was moving to Leeds for £18m at the age of 22; then after playing European football for Leeds, becoming their captain and starting for England at the World Cup United forked out £29m on him at the age of 23.

Smalling is only 20 and if he progresses in the manner Roy Hodgson expects him to Fulham could, in the near future, be looking to receive two or three times the £7m we're reported to be offering. They have high hopes for him and he can only grow in experience, so why should they sell him cheaply.

Frankly, if he's as good as is being made out £7m could be a snip. I stress the COULD part of the sentence because only time will tell.

Del Boy

Established Member
Viking said:
Del Boy said:
Derp de derpa derp derp derp derp derp derp derp
Comparing the prices of Ramsey and Smalling is pretty damn dumb.
:roll:

Eh are you twelve or something? Or have you anything relevant to say bar your childish insults and general idiotic drivel?

Grow up.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
dutchMasta said:
"Arsenal have made an approach for Chris Smalling in a deal which could eventually rise to £7million but have backed down by seeing his injured for the rest of the season"
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Smalling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Smalling</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fake right? First I've heard of this. If it's true, then the loan move back is a good move.

No its not true. He is on the bench for their cup game today.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom