• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Christian Abbiati

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
Comfort zone player. Loves Milan more than his own career it seems.

True, dont like the comment about wanting to come on loan so he still feels a Milan player.

Sammer

Established Member
Sol said:
Adam said:
Comfort zone player. Loves Milan more than his own career it seems.

True, dont like the comment about wanting to come on loan so he still feels a Milan player.

What a statement ! Why would anybody get this guy?

Buy now, we are linked with about every available keeper in Europe, when is this going end???

Asterix

Established Member
Arsenal still watching Abbiati

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 55,00.html

The article is mainly concerned with Essien, but goes on to say Steve Rowley was watching Abbiati in Milan's Italian Cup game. Milan wouldn't be interested in letting Abbiati go unless they got someone to replace him as they want two first class keepers in their squad. Could be a summer acquisition then.

With Scott Carson looking set for Chelsea Cuducini may become available. I think the top keeping targets for us in the summer will be Cuducini, Abbiati, hopefully Hildebrand and perhaps Niemi.

Mark

Established Member
Hildebrand would still be my first choice. Stuttgart expressed an interest in Lehmann. Why we are not trying to get some kind of swap deal going on there, I'll never know.

GunnerForLife

What we need is a long term replacement. Abiatti is 27 and its more like a stop gap approach. The most ideal candidate is Hildebrand. Stuttgart wants Lehmann and Hildebrand's doesnt want to stay there. I wouldnt mind if we swap Lehmann for Hildebrand + £2 - £5 mil.

malagar

we dont have to pay **** for hildebrand . We just need to make a contract with him now .
Aluminum can make the job until summer , when Timo could join up for free.

A

Anonymous

Abbiati.....another teams reserve keeper...just what we need

Sammer

Established Member
arsenal89 said:
Abbiati.....another teams reserve keeper...just what we need

Spot on, arsenal89. This should be the time to finally invest in a proven, top-class long-term solution keeper.

The potential swap-deal between Arsenal and Stuttgart sounds too good to be true.

KingReyes

Established Member
I'm going to have to disagree with you Arsenal89 and Sammer. IMO Abbiati is a quality keeper, I remember him when he was first choice and he was one of the best in the Serie A especially when Milan won the league in 99 when he broke through thanks to a certain Jens Lehmann being dropped. He was also close to national team selection and if you think because he's their reserve keeper then just think Carlo Cudicini and where he is, just like Abbiati he's on the bench but it doesn't make him a bad keeper does it. Chelsea are a side that want 2 class players for each postiion and Milan are just the same which is why they are reluctant to let him go unless they have a quality replacement. At 27 he's at the right age too, he would give us at least 7 to 8 years at the top.

deki9188

look why not buy someone like hildebrand who could give us like 7-8 + years, because what is the point in signing a new keeper every 2 years.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I think Abbiati is a top quality goalkeeper. He's the right age for a goalkeeper and has a lot of experience playing at the highest level. The only thing that may be against him is whether he speaks English and whether he could adapt to a new country.

Asterix

Established Member
All he needs to know is "MINE" and "that was your fault". It's what all good keepers limit themselves to.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Forget about age because Hilderbrand is better than Abbiati.....full stop.

He will cost us next to nothing if we agree with him now. Or we trade Lehmann and kill 2 birds with the 1 stone.

Hilderbrand will challenge Cech as the best keeper in the EPL.....so if the Mancs get him in front of us, mark my words we will be regretting it for a very long time.

We will be forced to find more stop gap measures.

Frankly, if AW doesnt move for Hilderbrand, then it goes to show he just doesnt value having a world class keeper at the back and would rather win matches by scoring more goals than defending leads.

And dont start with the 'whats wrong with aluminia song..." he was part of a debt settlement agreement with Celta Vigo....he is not what we should be aspiring for as a first team goal keeper when we have players like Henry in our side!

Mostarac

Established Member
Some of you are really OVERRATING Hildebrand, he is a good young keeper but lets face it, he is not a Zoff, Banks or Buffon. Abbiati is a very experienced keeper which was regarded as Italy`s number 2 goalkeeper behind Buffon, this happened before he lost his place to the excellent Dida. And we have not been at least linked with Hildebrand at all, so your dreams about Hildebrand playing for Arsenal are just wishfull dreams. He will either sign a new deal with Stuttgart or go to Bayern.

Asterix

Established Member
That's true Mostarac - I haven't seen him play at all, and am basing my good opinion of him on what I've read from match reports and our own excellent Mr Sammer, whose opinion we all trust highly.

The thing about Hildebrand is that he's young and has plenty of years ahed of him, and he also has plwenty of experience in the Bundesliga, Champs League and I think he's played a few times for Germany as well. Certainly enough people seem to have faith in him. I think he (and his defence) hold the record for longest stretch with no goals scored. All pretty impressive. Mind you I still find it puzzling that the notorious English rumour mill hasn't linked him to any clubs here.

I'd be happy to have Abbiati if he can still produce the goods. To be rated second to Buffon is no disgrace. England used to have Shilton and Clemence around at the same time after all.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Mostarac said:
Some of you are really OVERRATING Hildebrand, he is a good young keeper but lets face it, he is not a Zoff, Banks or Buffon. Abbiati is a very experienced keeper which was regarded as Italy`s number 2 goalkeeper behind Buffon, this happened before he lost his place to the excellent Dida. And we have not been at least linked with Hildebrand at all, so your dreams about Hildebrand playing for Arsenal are just wishfull dreams. He will either sign a new deal with Stuttgart or go to Bayern.

i think your post demonstrates that you have not watched Hilderbrand play. I've said it many times before....match reports are rubbish...watch the games.

Also, Juve have always had a traditionally more sound defence than any team in the world, so Buffon's job is easier. To say Abbiati is second to Buffon as a way of justifying his quality is rubbish.....he is an italian Bartez.

Abbiati isnt that much better than Lehmann.....take it from someone who has followd the Scudetto for 20 years!!!

Also, not to state the obvious, but no one said AW is signing Hilderbrand....only that he should. Its pretty comon knowledge that he is being groomed as Bayern Munichs No.1 and as the German No.1

All i'm saying is that if he does end up abroad...it should be with us, and not with the Mancs.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary
Top Bottom