• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Porto | 26/09/06

quattro

if van persie's shot went in, was that a goal of individual brilliance or one that was crafted by the team to break down porto? please do indulge one with lesser analytical ability than yourself: how different were those goals from "team goals". also we made 8 chances on goal and 15 attempts. if you say that isn't close, then please do define and elaborate: what IS close?

also are you seriously saying that we didn't go into the match wanting to "outscore and outplay" porto while consequently outscoring and outplaying them anyway?

Wenger14

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
Wenger14 said:
It's getting a tad boring tbh, for someone who considers himself to be a realist, his idealistic expectations in a football match is a bit too much.

Kel if you're waiting for the perfect match, you aren't really going to get it.

Scored 2 good goals, kept a clean sheet, 6 points out of 6 in europe, let's be happy for a change shall we?

so expecting the team to attack and want to create chances at home to porto is too much to expect? i don't expect a perfect match. not even close, but i do expect the team to go into the match wanting to outscore and outplay the other team. not just get three points.

And we did just that. So why are you still moaning?

ken_75

I missed the first half of the match and reading the posts here while trying to find a stream I got the impression that we were sh**e and on the back foot in the first 30mins. Watching the highlights later, I couldn't see a decent porto attack which backed this impression in the first 30 mins :roll:

Legend#1

Established Member
Am I must be the only person that thought Robin was poor and had a shocker in the 2nd half?

If Adebayor had a game like that, people would call for his head.

In the 2nd half he was shocking, he even f**ked up the most simplest of passes, and i'm a huge fan of Robin.. I was happy that he didn't shy away from trying things, knowing full well that nothing was coming off for him.

Thierry is back, his 2nd half performance was a joy to behold, he absolutely merk'd their right back.

I thought Hleb was poor up until his goal, and then you could just see the confidence flow back into his game, his passing got better, he was taking players on again, some great skill, he looked a different player, just goes to show what a goal can do.

I must admit, I was very disappointed that Hoyte was starting.. but what a performance, got forward well, defended well, good positioning, linked with Henry well.

Eboue's best game in an Arsenal shirt imo, well the most complete performance anyway, wonderful in defence and attack, an absolutely wondeful cross just like Saturday, I love Ralph, but he won't get back into the team.

Rosicky + Cesc =
Poundit Poundit

They link up so well together, they play so similar, Rosicky had taken the 6 months to adapt rule, ripped it up and wrote a 'Adapt straight away' rule, he looks so comfortable and so at ease, he's found his motivation again after losing it at Dortmund.

Kolo and Gallas run the show at the back, nothing beat them on the ground or in the air, such a shame that Gallas is injured, but hopefully he won't miss more than 2 Prem games, Djourou should be back for Sat and hopefully Hoyte keeps his form up.

Gilberto did hos job immensely again like he has all season, such a consistent performer this season.

Theo should have come on before Freddie.

Anyway, 4 wins out of 4, 2 on the trot at Emirates.. How at home did we look last night! That Sheffield United win was very important.

I watched the game with a bunch of Gooners in a bar in Bodrum, We all come to the conclusion that Wengerball is slowly creeping back and that 4-5-1 might be the way forward more often than not.

Nutsy

Established Member
Wenger14 said:
kel varnsen said:
Wenger14 said:
It's getting a tad boring tbh, for someone who considers himself to be a realist, his idealistic expectations in a football match is a bit too much.

Scored 2 good goals, kept a clean sheet, 6 points out of 6 in europe, let's be happy for a change shall we?

so expecting the team to attack and want to create chances at home to porto is too much to expect? i don't expect a perfect match. not even close, but i do expect the team to go into the match wanting to outscore and outplay the other team. not just get three points.

And we did just that. So why are you still moaning?

Ayy Kel what does they have to do to impress you? They did a great game for God Sakes. Stop moaning okay? We're gonna have great games ahead of us, no point dwelling in the past! we got the 3 points, we gave a Portugese Champions a defeat! we're capable to go all the way! now, let's focus on what's coming mate! :roll:

Shadow Moses

Established Member
I'm usually an advocate of some user's controversy on here, but the arguement in this thread is really baseless. The manager deployed a formation that he thought was good enough to get the job done, we outplayed Porto from start to end, controlled the pace of the game, created countless chances, outscored them and basically did every manager would want from a Champions League tie.

Two games, 6 points, 2 wins away from qualification and yet we still have grumpy posters. :?

qs

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
Am I must be the only person that thought Robin was poor and had a shocker in the 2nd half?

If Adebayor had a game like that, people would call for his head.

In the 2nd half he was shocking, he even f**ked up the most simplest of passes, and i'm a huge fan of Robin.. I was happy that he didn't shy away from trying things, knowing full well that nothing was coming off for him.

He was awful 1st and 2nd half. He didn't make one decent pass, his crossing was terrible and his off the ball movement was terrible. Not to mention missing a gift from Henry. So much for the "its Theirrys fault Robin doesnt score" theory.

More than that he just didn't work hard enough. Adebayor makes mistakes but he works his socks off every game. He doesnt stroll around up front like Theirry and Robin, he chases the ball and moves constantly. Watching what Kuyt does for Pool reminds me of Ade and Kuyts being hailed as their savious while alot of gooners lambast the boy from Togo.

I thought everyone else had smashing games. Eboue just gets better and better. Hoyte looks to have learned alot from his mistakes and Rosicky is just pure brilliant. How ****ing quick is that guy anyway? He's quickly becoming one of my favourites. I loved Bobby and I think we just might have replaced him fully.

stiiphunn

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
Wenger14 said:

Kel, I know what you mean and I'm all with you on this point.
However right now, the most important thing is to get as much confidence as possible- we need to have performances like this one to reassure our players about their abilities, about their potential.
Once they'll realise how good they are, they'll start playing the free flowing attack football we all want.
The way we played yesterday is just perfect for us right now.

Rohit

Established Member
I thought it was a good controlled performance.Wasn't happy that Wenger used the 4-5-1 at home against Porto but at the end of it he is vindicated because we won comfortably.

RvP was truly out of sorts but i guess thats what happens when you play a forward as a winger,he looked out of place.

Using the 4-5-1 against Porto a home may be a sign that we would be using that formation throughout our CL campaign.

Hoyte did fine for me,but Gallas is a very big blow,what a player he is,we have never looked so comfortable at the back even with Sol at his peak.

invisibleman18

Established Member
First time I've got on since the game.
Good performance and we were never really troubled at all.

Absolutely fantastic cross from Eboue for that goal. Commentators kept going on about Henry's lack of goals with his head, but I don't think it's as clear cut as his heading not being great. I personally don't think there's much wrong with his heading ability, more the fact that we have never really had genuine crossers of the ball to set him up for headers. The wingers we have had in his time - the likes of mainly Pires and Freddie, and previously Overmars, and the full backs like Cole, Lauren and lately Eboue are not crossers. They are all players who are more comfortably cutting in field and keeping the ball on the ground. Had say, David Beckham been on our right wing the last 5 years, I'm sure Thierry would have a few more headed goals under his belt. A lot has been made of Eboue's poor crossing, but that's 2 pin point crosses in 2 games, may it continue. Crossing from the touch line has never been part of our game, so consequently headed goals in open play from our centre forwards have been few and far between.

As for the 2nd goal, that was just a brilliant goal. Great burst forward from Gallas, great touch from Henry and a superb finish into the corner from Hleb. Awesome team goal.

Delighted to see Hoyte have a pretty good game. His best in an Arsenal shirt for sure. Was solid at the back with no mistakes and had some good moments going forward aswell. Was unfortunate noone was in the middle when he got to the byline and played an inviting cross across the face of goal. A confident and assured display from him, hopefully showing that it's wrong to completely write off the rest of his career here just yet on the basis of 3 or 4 mediocre/poor performances, as many people have been doing.

Only negative from the game is the performance, or more to the point, the finishing of Van Persie. That was an absolute sitter he blazed over, in a similar position to the previous game where he rounded the keeper and won a penalty. He's clearly low on confidence at the moment and really needs a goal or 2 soon.

Man of the match - probably Gallas for me. Superb at the back and not afraid to make little bursts forward, one of which led to our best goal of the season. What a signing. I did at first think Chelsea go the better of that deal, but having seen the last few of our games I think the opposite. We won that one.

Jameel46

Established Member
very good performance, Eboue was magnificent, Toure & Gallas were great and Hoyte had a very good game, Hleb showed why he's ahead of Ljungberg, VP had another frustrating game though, things don't seem to be going for him right now, Thierry's still not himself but still got a goal and an assist.

daniel

Jameel46 said:
very good performance, Eboue was magnificent, Toure & Gallas were great and Hoyte had a very good game, Hleb showed why he's ahead of Ljungberg, VP had another frustrating game though, things don't seem to be going for him right now, Thierry's still not himself but still got a goal and an assist.
Imagine what he will do when he is himself... :lol:

Jameel46 said:
VP had another frustrating game though, things don't seem to be going for him right now,.

He's just unfortunate not to score...the most important for him right now is Mr wenger let him start every single game..the lad need to play...as simple as that.. i think he had a good game..staying out right or out left when we convert to 4-5-1..giving Hleb and Rosicky space to move to the centre... :D

Gurgen

Established Member
Shadow Moses said:
I'm usually an advocate of some user's controversy on here, but the arguement in this thread is really baseless. The manager deployed a formation that he thought was good enough to get the job done, we outplayed Porto from start to end, controlled the pace of the game, created countless chances, outscored them and basically did every manager would want from a Champions League tie.

Erm no we didn't. There were about 10 minutes in the first half where we didn't even touch the ball. It was embarassing.

Regardless of the result, you don't play 4-5-1 at home to any team. We're the team that is supposed to dominate, so let the opponent adapt to us. We played 4-4-2 away to Hamburg so I think (and hope) this was done to protect Hoyte last night.

Jameel46

Established Member
MsianGonners (Erwan) said:
Jameel46 said:
VP had another frustrating game though, things don't seem to be going for him right now,.

He's just unfortunate not to score...the most important for him right now is Mr wenger let him start every single game..the lad need to play...as simple as that.. i think he had a good game..staying out right or out left when we convert to 4-5-1..giving Hleb and Rosicky space to move to the centre... :D

but you could see on VP's face about how disappointed he was after evry shot that didn't go in, we all know that he's a great player but like reyes he would do better in a different style of football

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
What does it matter really Gurgen? Apart from that ten minutes, which could have happened had we been playing 442, the performance was a good one and really it should have been more than 2. That it wasn't is not down to playing just one up top.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom