• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Porto | 26/09/06

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Gurgen said:
Shadow Moses said:
I'm usually an advocate of some user's controversy on here, but the arguement in this thread is really baseless. The manager deployed a formation that he thought was good enough to get the job done, we outplayed Porto from start to end, controlled the pace of the game, created countless chances, outscored them and basically did every manager would want from a Champions League tie.

Erm no we didn't. There were about 10 minutes in the first half where we didn't even touch the ball. It was embarassing.

Regardless of the result, you don't play 4-5-1 at home to any team. We're the team that is supposed to dominate, so let the opponent adapt to us. We played 4-4-2 away to Hamburg so I think (and hope) this was done to protect Hoyte last night.
that was the only reason we could think of yesterday which could be some kind of rationale behind playing 4-5-1.

Anyway totally disagree with Shadow Moses. We could have well lost the match if Porto would have scored a chance they had early on. Before that we wasted countless opportunities, not because we created them, but because we had players on the ball capable of delivering the final ball, but had no one to pass it to (resulting either in more passing around or a cross in an empty box).

Gurgen

Established Member
RtC, I suppose it doesn't matter to you that we don't bother to play a fast attacking game, but it matters to me. It's become our trademark over the years.

But I guess you enjoy crosses into an empty box and a second half played at turtle pace as long as we keep winning. To each his own.

clockwork orange

Gurgen said:
RtC, I suppose it doesn't matter to you that we don't bother to play a fast attacking game, but it matters to me. It's become our trademark over the years.

But I guess you enjoy crosses into an empty box and a second half played at turtle pace as long as we keep winning. To each his own.
Apart from 4-4-2 being better to watch (which is a nice spin off), it will get better results too (why field Hleb, cesc & Rosicky if they have hardly anybody to play the final ball to).

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
TBH I'd rather a turtle pace in the second half when 2 up.

Might be boring for those wathing but it sure as **** keeps the players fresher for the next game.

And I'd rather that saved energy be put to use in getting another 3 points in the following game.

awooga83

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
What does it matter really Gurgen? Apart from that ten minutes, which could have happened had we been playing 442, the performance was a good one and really it should have been more than 2. That it wasn't is not down to playing just one up top.

I agree mate the fact is we go into every game with the objective to win and we achieved that objective quite comfortably the complaints are about aesthetics. The fact is as well the football wasn't that bad may be not we are renowned for but there was still plenty of good passing and some great chances.

We have had plenty of games playing great attacking football and not winning and alot of debate after over do we have a plan B etc.

I don't think we have abandoned attacking football altogether but its is not going to work in every situation as we have seen and what it was replaced with worked yesterday so there is no problem.

clockwork orange

I don't mind the turtle pace when 2-0 up. But anyone saying our tatcics were spot on until that lead, should rewatch the match (watched it twice myself). I fully agreed with the pundit on Dutch tv (former Ajax manager Blind), who basically said (on Arsenal) wonderful players, lovely football, too much of the same on midfield and nobody to play the final ball to, no presence in the box.

We got away with this this time, we could be less fortunate next time.

Saying yesterday's system worked is scoreboardjournalism.

apollo

We played a great game , neat passes , dominated the sh*t outa them...crosses great...and above all , defending...Literally I have never ever been this confident in the CB of Arsenal...I mean what the hell would the defense be when Clichy is back and he plays at LB??...Eboue/Toure/Gallas/Clichy!!!!

I really feel sorry for van Persie...Hoyte has improved to be honest and for those whole are still criticizing...OPEN YOUR F***IN EYES!!...I believe we've been clinical enough there don't u think??

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Leo, the same criticism of 'nobody to play the final ball to' could be levelled at the 4-4-2 playing team in most of the games so far this season I think.

The lack of movement has been pretty shocking this season.

I'm not defending what was used yesterday, as a spectator I'd much rather watch the football Wenger played a few seasons back.

Sadly them days are gone.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Gurgen said:

Gurgen mate, when I pay £46 for a ticket to go and watch the Arsenal, believe me it does matter to me how we play, it matters a lot.

But if we had played 4-4-2 and played as we did yesterday, I don't honestly think I would have enjoyed the game anymore than I did. And of the four visits I've had to our new ground, last night's performance was by far the most accomplished. Yet we played 442 against Boro, Sheffield United and Dinamo Zagreb.

I guess the fact is the formation isn't as important to me as the performance.

Gurgen

Established Member
I actually thought this was one of our worst performances. We hardly created anything, but we took the few chances we had.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Gurgen said:
I actually thought this was one of our worst performances. We hardly created anything, but we took the few chances we had.

Perceptions perceptions...

Maybe the first half goal (an Arsenal first this season?) settled me down more. But I felt pretty comfortable for the rest of the game. That contrasts with the 60 minute horror show on Saturday which was truly awful, the huffing and puffing against Boro. And the 15 minute turnaround against Zagreb.

I thought we created enough to win the game 3 or 4 last night, Fabregas went close, Rosicky I think too and van Persie had enough chances for a couple of goals.

jester

Established Member
Gurgen said:

we controlled the game, and hardly gave a sniff to Porto. It was Porto, put this is context - if this was watford, then ok, it wasnt a brilliant performance, but Porto are no slouches, and are a very well organised side. I understand what you say, we didnt create as many chances as we have done before, but this was by far a more balanced performance from the whole team

clockwork orange

YuenBiaoFan said:
Leo, the same criticism of 'nobody to play the final ball to' could be levelled at the 4-4-2 playing team in most of the games so far this season I think.

I'm not defending what was used yesterday, as a spectator I'd much rather watch the football Wenger played a few seasons back.

Indeed. Imo the lack of target (s) to play the final ball to was even worse than in the games we played 4-4-2. To make up for our lack of targets in 4-4-2, we just need to let the beast roam as the most attacking of the 4 midfielders...

awooga83

Established Member
Gurgen said:

I don't know if the performance was necessarily better then other games because we have dominated other games as we dominated this one, but the difference was we scored the goals and won the game so I can't see how its worse in that sense. We had quite a few chances and Porto didn't really threaten us bar a 10 minute spell where they had alot of the ball if not many chances.

apollo

awooga83 said:
Gurgen said:

I don't know if the performance was necessarily better then other games because we have dominated other games as we dominated this one, but the difference was we scored the goals and won the game so I can't see how its worse in that sense. We had quite a few chances and Porto didn't really threaten us bar a 10 minute spell where they had alot of the ball if not many chances.

exactly mate!!

and awooga, THIS IS WHAT BEING CLINICAL IS ALL ABOUT!!..

Don Pacifico

Established Member
So, thoughts after the match:

Lehmann-6
Not troubled, sturdy perfomance at the back.

Hoyte-7
Best game I've seen from him in a while, not caught out defensively, and contributed well in attack, perhaps he is good enough to stay with us, perhaps he just had nerves being back playing for us?

Gallas-7
Confident display, attacked well, looked assured. No problem.

Toure-8
Reminded me of an olden day sweeper, clearing up the mess and turning it into attack, shame he didn't get his goal.

Eboue-7
Not caught out defensively which was nice to see, attacked well, brilliant cross for the opener and linked well with Hleb

Rosicky-8
Industrious, worked hard in attack and defence, never stayed still, played for the team. Classy performance.

Gilberto-7
Good display, dealt well with a potentially dangerous midfield and contributed to the attacks.

Cesc-7
More glimmers of what a great player he can be, not involved all that much, but moved well, cool in possession. Would still like to see more runs into the box.

Hleb-7
Good link-up, good end product and a goal.

Van Persie-6
Disapointing, just did not achieve much when he had the ball, not always his fault with lack of players in the box, but not a good performance.

Henry-6
Almost a 7, but very inactive in this match, still working to achieve full fitness but positive signs.

Subs

Ljungberg-7
Looked energetic, confident, useful player.

All in all a very positive performance. Nothing exceptional, but it was an effortless display (which is what was so good about it), we didn't really have to work for the victory. Confidence at the back as well with our CBs pretty much faultless.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

leonardo santiago said:
YuenBiaoFan said:

Indeed. Imo the lack of target (s) to play the final ball to was even worse than in the games we played 4-4-2. To make up for our lack of targets in 4-4-2, we just need to let the beast roam as the most attacking of the 4 midfielders...

Seriously though guys , this lack of targets in the box has been a problem for about 5 years now . No idea why, but there it is maybe it is just the type of player that Wenger buys .

MUTERI

Very good performance, comfortable win, 2 great goals, 3 points in the bag, almost there in the next round. :) .

and finally Hleb got shots from distance and scored, now he should believe he can do it.

I feel sorry for Theo, he should've had more than 5 minutes, we were comfortable and it would've been better to give him 20 minutes.

MOTM : Thierry Henry.

arsefanfan

Why do we need a target man? We are not Bolton or Liverpool. It's about creating space and passing and running into it. And how come a lot of people don't understand the term of "controlled performance"? You don't want to concede at home so we played 4-5-1 when defending.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom