• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
To be fair, I don’t think the attention will fully be on Emery as of yet but definitely on Kroenke as it’s January and Emery has already stated there’s no funds available (Arséne would have covered this up for Stan).

During the final years of Arséne, there was a constant divide with large sections of our support that turned against him and fans not turning up to games but one thing the support wasn’t divided on was getting Stan Kroenke out of our club.

The change of manager and unbeaten run has papered over the cracks regarding Stan Kroenke. Personally, I don’t think it’s good for them to do it mid season as it will effect the team but you can’t really blame them. They’re paying inflated prices for match day tickets yet the owner doesn’t want to invest anything in to the club. If we’re no longer a top club and can’t attract the top talent then we should lower the prices for the match goers.

It was never going to be easy but we had a clear structure in place for change. Now with Gazidis gone and potentially Mislintat, it’s looking like the model for change is falling apart because of our lack of ambition from our owner.

Well, as the piece I linked (and partially copied and pasted) in the finances thread noted, Kroenke could cut them a check for £100 million out of his own pocket today and it would not change the situation of the January transfer window. So creating a toxic atmosphere because of Kroenke is just as pointless and counterproductive as going after the manager. And it's not like there is anything fans could possibly do that would change the ownership.

Most fans (at least those who expressed strong opinions) have wanted Gazidis gone, so his exit would seem to be a reason to give the club time and see where things are going. He was the one who was in charge when they signed Özil to the contract they did (partially because fans demanded it) and he was the one who put the club in its current position at the upper limit of wage flexibility. That's the mess they have to get out of and this is the first window he hasn't been in charge. So that's all the more reason to exercise a bit of patience and see how things play out. Arsenal will have more money at their disposal in the summer because of new financial deals (and hopefully a return to the Champions League, which will become less likely with a return of toxicity).

As for Sven, I'm a fan. But if he doesn't share the same vision as Sanllehi and Emery, it's better to go their separate ways now rather than letting it fester. So this is nothing to get upset about. There are other people who are top notch at scouting. This will work more smoothly if those in top positions share the same vision. And, honestly, I've never heard of a fan base going ballistic over a scout. Only at Arsenal...

The crazy thing is that last summer most fans expected the team to struggle to get into the top 4. There was a poll here where most didn't even think it was a realistic goal. They just wanted a different direction and some small sign that some progress was being made. Yet this team went 22 games unbeaten, hit a rough patch with an injury crisis during the busiest period of the year, and now fans are lining up to jump off the Tower Bridge.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Give us a semblance of a progressive style of play and we go much easier on Emery.

Is this the first time you've seen Emery's teams play? Right now he's trying to fix defensive deficiencies (particularly since Holding was injured) and build the team he wants. Then you'll see the progressive style for which Emery is famous. As Lacazette said, they're "learning like children."

TheEconomist

Established Member
This is quite sad.

I'm sorry to see Sven go. I had really high hopes for him. I hope he finds a club willing to back his obvious eye for talent.

What really sucks though is that this is a reminder that although Wenger has gone, football still isn't the biggest priority at Arsenal Football Club. This looks like a result of internal politics or a preference to make only budget transfers to me

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
What really sucks though is that this is a reminder that although Wenger has gone, football still isn't the biggest priority at Arsenal Football Club.

I don't understand what this sentence means?

Are you saying that since we were all so focused on Wenger in or out that his situation was the biggest priority at the club rather than football?

Because by any other measurement the only person at Arsenal FC who has cared about football and by extension Arsenal Football Club for the last 15 years, has been Arsène Wenger.

TheEconomist

Established Member
I don't understand what this sentence means?

Are you saying that since we were all so focused on Wenger in or out that his situation was the biggest priority at the club rather than football?

Because by any other measurement the only person at Arsenal FC who has cared about football and by extension Arsenal Football Club for the last 15 years, has been Arséne Wenger.
No not at all. No disrespect to Wenger intended at all. I merely meant that all the fundamental problems at the club still exist. Arsène Wenger was the big focus of last season but he wasn't the biggest problem. I expected after he left that we would sort out the internal issues we have, But it all seems like it's still a mess and it looks like it's getting worse to me

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I read today that we targeting overmars to be our director of football
Would be a great deal. Too bad there is only room for one of him and Sven as they seem to share the same footballing vision and would probably complement each other big time.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The belief that what we have is a temporary problem and that things will somehow miraculously resolve itself and we'll be back in the CL next season, if not this one, is dangerously misguided and fails to see the huge problem we have at Arsenal - the beliefs and policies of the owner.

What the fans can do about it may be debatable but that is no reason to go along with supporting a guy who is dismantling everything we ever cherished about our club.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Don't know who this guy is (except that he apparently writes for Bleacher Report and FanSided), but he makes sense. Personally, I might not frame it as "great news for Arsenal," but certainly if the major figures at the club don't share the same vision then it's better to move forward now rather than later. It can be good news in the sense that a potential developing problem might be avoided and the club can be unified. Anyway, here are some of the though of James Dudko:

Regarding Ornstein's report about Sven not being on the same page as Sanllehi and Emery:

It’s better for Arsenal to put an end to such squabbling rather than letting it fester. Protracted tension between the men charged with putting the club back among the elite would wreck not only this season but subsequent campaigns.

Mislintat’s own history shows how ugly things can get. He famously fell out with then-Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel over the proposed signing of Oliver Torres.

Mislintat pushed, Tuchel said no. Mislintat upped sticks and left, but only after being banned from the training ground.

Arsenal don’t need this kind of animosity between a director, manager and his chief scout distracting from the season.

By declaring a winner early, the Gunners can move toward the kind of clarity sorely lacking since Wenger left. One coherent message has to emerge, one voice articulating a unified strategy.

It was never going to happen with two of the big three becoming entrenched at opposite ends of the spectrum.

If Sanllehi has assumed control at the expense of Mislintat, Arsenal at least begin to have some much-needed clarity. Mislintat may have been the people’s choice because of his work at Dortmund, but the identity of the man in charge isn’t as important as merely having a sole figure of authority.

Sanllehi steering the ship gives Gunners supporters, understandably baffled by the raft of seismic changes taking place since 2017, some answers.

After that, it’s going to be on Sanllehi to prove he’s up to the task.

On backing Emery:

Mislintat moving on suggests Emery’s voice is being heard where it needs to be. It’s only right for Arsenal to back the man trusted to replace Wenger, with more than just words but also with intent.

No manager can function competently without being able to employ the methods he trusts. Those methods hinge on players he knows.

It’s irresponsible of any club to hire a manager and not give him what he wants and needs for the job. If a manager stands or falls by results, he has to be allowed to choose the players who will be most responsible for those results.

If Arsenal want a cautionary tale about the dangers of asking a manager to act out of character, they need only look at Manchester United. The Red Devils hired defensive-minded and big-spending Jose Mourinho, then complained when he didn’t play an attacking style and develop young players.

Go figure.

Emery needs support for his methods before he can be fairly judged. He needs support because he’s trying to engineer tricky squad changes, like a future without Mesut Özil.

What Emery needs is to work with players who will put his ideas into practice. He doesn’t need to be handed players by a sage guru and reassured things will work out if he simply reads the lines he’s given.

On bringing in a former player as technical director:

One of Mislintat’s biggest gripes concerns Arsenal’s plans to hire a technical director. The German either wanted the job himself or at least wanted to decide who would get it.

The London Evening Standard‘s James Olley described Mislintat as “dismayed” a new director “would have greater authority than he enjoys, including a bearing on the team’s style of play.”

The final part of the last sentence is why Arsenal should be giving the technical director role to a former player. Olley mentioned Edu, while German publication Kicker has put Marc Overmars’ name into the hat.

Both are connected by one thing. They’re Wenger signings who won Premier League titles and FA Cups on the Frenchman’s watch.

Just as important, both Edu and Overmars understand the stylistic revolution Wenger brought to Arsenal. The club’s longest-serving manager enjoyed notable successes, but so did George Graham, Bertie Mee and Herbert Chapman.

Wenger’s abiding legacy in north London wasn’t the trophies. It wasn’t even the “Invincibles” and the unbeaten season, of which Edu was a key part.

Instead, the standout achievement of the Wenger era was the transformation of Arsenal from defensive pragmatists to great entertainers.

Wenger didn’t just swap negative rearguards for expansive passing moves. He made an attractive game as much an expectation of Arsenal as it is of Barcelona and Ajax, two other clubs Overmars has roots in.

Adhering to the stylistic template left behind will provide Arsenal the clarity of purpose any true strategy needs. Signings and youth development can be made with the final, pleasing-on-the-eye end product in mind.

It should mean Arsenal having an identity sustainable from one regime to the next, in both lean times and halcyon days.

Arsenal won’t sink into the abyss without Mislintat. It’s more likely the clarity his departure can provide about what the post-Wenger era looks like will benefit the club in the long-term.

https://fansided.com/2019/01/16/sven-mislintat-pending-departure-great-news-arsenal/

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Well, as the piece I linked (and partially copied and pasted) in the finances thread noted, Kroenke could cut them a check for £100 million out of his own pocket today and it would not change the situation of the January transfer window. So creating a toxic atmosphere because of Kroenke is just as pointless and counterproductive as going after the manager. And it's not like there is anything fans could possibly do that would change the ownership.

Most fans (at least those who expressed strong opinions) have wanted Gazidis gone, so his exit would seem to be a reason to give the club time and see where things are going. He was the one who was in charge when they signed Özil to the contract they did (partially because fans demanded it) and he was the one who put the club in its current position at the upper limit of wage flexibility. That's the mess they have to get out of and this is the first window he hasn't been in charge. So that's all the more reason to exercise a bit of patience and see how things play out. Arsenal will have more money at their disposal in the summer because of new financial deals (and hopefully a return to the Champions League, which will become less likely with a return of toxicity).

As for Sven, I'm a fan. But if he doesn't share the same vision as Sanllehi and Emery, it's better to go their separate ways now rather than letting it fester. So this is nothing to get upset about. There are other people who are top notch at scouting. This will work more smoothly if those in top positions share the same vision. And, honestly, I've never heard of a fan base going ballistic over a scout. Only at Arsenal...

The crazy thing is that last summer most fans expected the team to struggle to get into the top 4. There was a poll here where most didn't even think it was a realistic goal. They just wanted a different direction and some small sign that some progress was being made. Yet this team went 22 games unbeaten, hit a rough patch with an injury crisis during the busiest period of the year, and now fans are lining up to jump off the Tower Bridge.

Firstly, I think most of the criticism has been slightly reactionary but as I stated in the Emery thread, a lot of his decisions have been questionable so far including dropping Özil and playing Ramsey instead. He made it clear that Ramsey doesn’t fit into his plans when the club retracted their offer. So why play Ramsey (who I’m a massive fan of) and not Özil who is our highest earner and our talisman?

On the Kroenke issue. This has been going on for a while now, it’s not just about this season. Regardless of whether the FFP restricts us to not signing players outright this January, what happened to the previous seasons whereby Kroenke has been literally a silent owner and hasn’t invested to cement our position in the top 4. A lot of blame falls under Arsène Wenger and Gazidis (bald ****) but Kroenke deserves a large portion of it and the fans should outrightly try and force him out similar to H & G at Liverpool.

Also, there’s a reason why fans are going a bit over the top with the departure of Sven. He may only be a scout but he comes with a proven reputation of securing highly talented gems which we assumed was the strategy that we were going to adopt. He already helped us sign Torreira, Mavropanos, Guendouzi and even took part in the process of identifying our new manager. So far the business he’s done has been brilliant, so you can understand why fans want him to continue and are slightly unhappy. Since he’s pretty much gone, we need to replace him adequately and not just dissolve the role.

Leeroy1979

Having had a day to digest this I can still say that I am disappointed by his leaving. Last night I was furious so progress is being made. I would like to say though,although I think his loss will hurt us, there are posts saying how he helped us uncover players in his brief time here... ghendouzi and mavropanos I accept as I didn't know them from Adam but Torreira was hardly an unknown and wasn't quite the cut price it is made out, it was upwards of 20million which ain't cheap. Yes he looks a great addition but let's not kid ourselves that it was for peanuts

Leeroy1979

The same can be said of Leno, not an unknown and sokratis (although I do like the hard bastard!) wasn't exactly cheap for an older cb

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Is this the first time you've seen Emery's teams play? Right now he's trying to fix defensive deficiencies (particularly since Holding was injured) and build the team he wants. Then you'll see the progressive style for which Emery is famous. As Lacazette said, they're "learning like children."
No I haven't really paid attention to his previous teams.

Fair enough, wait and see I guess.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
v093zc5p4ta21.jpg

:lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is so true really.
$tan has no passion for football and is here only for the money.

MustOezil

Don't know who this guy is (except that he apparently writes for Bleacher Report and FanSided), but he makes sense. Personally, I might not frame it as "great news for Arsenal," but certainly if the major figures at the club don't share the same vision then it's better to move forward now rather than later. It can be good news in the sense that a potential developing problem might be avoided and the club can be unified. Anyway, here are some of the though of James Dudko:

Regarding Ornstein's report about Sven not being on the same page as Sanllehi and Emery:

It’s better for Arsenal to put an end to such squabbling rather than letting it fester. Protracted tension between the men charged with putting the club back among the elite would wreck not only this season but subsequent campaigns.

Mislintat’s own history shows how ugly things can get. He famously fell out with then-Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel over the proposed signing of Oliver Torres.

Mislintat pushed, Tuchel said no. Mislintat upped sticks and left, but only after being banned from the training ground.

Arsenal don’t need this kind of animosity between a director, manager and his chief scout distracting from the season.

By declaring a winner early, the Gunners can move toward the kind of clarity sorely lacking since Wenger left. One coherent message has to emerge, one voice articulating a unified strategy.

It was never going to happen with two of the big three becoming entrenched at opposite ends of the spectrum.

If Sanllehi has assumed control at the expense of Mislintat, Arsenal at least begin to have some much-needed clarity. Mislintat may have been the people’s choice because of his work at Dortmund, but the identity of the man in charge isn’t as important as merely having a sole figure of authority.

Sanllehi steering the ship gives Gunners supporters, understandably baffled by the raft of seismic changes taking place since 2017, some answers.

After that, it’s going to be on Sanllehi to prove he’s up to the task.

On backing Emery:

Mislintat moving on suggests Emery’s voice is being heard where it needs to be. It’s only right for Arsenal to back the man trusted to replace Wenger, with more than just words but also with intent.

No manager can function competently without being able to employ the methods he trusts. Those methods hinge on players he knows.

It’s irresponsible of any club to hire a manager and not give him what he wants and needs for the job. If a manager stands or falls by results, he has to be allowed to choose the players who will be most responsible for those results.

If Arsenal want a cautionary tale about the dangers of asking a manager to act out of character, they need only look at Manchester United. The Red Devils hired defensive-minded and big-spending Jose Mourinho, then complained when he didn’t play an attacking style and develop young players.

Go figure.

Emery needs support for his methods before he can be fairly judged. He needs support because he’s trying to engineer tricky squad changes, like a future without Mesut Özil.

What Emery needs is to work with players who will put his ideas into practice. He doesn’t need to be handed players by a sage guru and reassured things will work out if he simply reads the lines he’s given.

On bringing in a former player as technical director:

One of Mislintat’s biggest gripes concerns Arsenal’s plans to hire a technical director. The German either wanted the job himself or at least wanted to decide who would get it.

The London Evening Standard‘s James Olley described Mislintat as “dismayed” a new director “would have greater authority than he enjoys, including a bearing on the team’s style of play.”

The final part of the last sentence is why Arsenal should be giving the technical director role to a former player. Olley mentioned Edu, while German publication Kicker has put Marc Overmars’ name into the hat.

Both are connected by one thing. They’re Wenger signings who won Premier League titles and FA Cups on the Frenchman’s watch.

Just as important, both Edu and Overmars understand the stylistic revolution Wenger brought to Arsenal. The club’s longest-serving manager enjoyed notable successes, but so did George Graham, Bertie Mee and Herbert Chapman.

Wenger’s abiding legacy in north London wasn’t the trophies. It wasn’t even the “Invincibles” and the unbeaten season, of which Edu was a key part.

Instead, the standout achievement of the Wenger era was the transformation of Arsenal from defensive pragmatists to great entertainers.

Wenger didn’t just swap negative rearguards for expansive passing moves. He made an attractive game as much an expectation of Arsenal as it is of Barcelona and Ajax, two other clubs Overmars has roots in.

Adhering to the stylistic template left behind will provide Arsenal the clarity of purpose any true strategy needs. Signings and youth development can be made with the final, pleasing-on-the-eye end product in mind.

It should mean Arsenal having an identity sustainable from one regime to the next, in both lean times and halcyon days.

Arsenal won’t sink into the abyss without Mislintat. It’s more likely the clarity his departure can provide about what the post-Wenger era looks like will benefit the club in the long-term.

https://fansided.com/2019/01/16/sven-mislintat-pending-departure-great-news-arsenal/

100% disagree with this article.

The power struggle is a short term issue, that can be resolved without ousting Sven. We're losing a world class scout and this can leave us much worse off in a long term. Especially since we have an owner who is not investing in our football and who is passive about how the club is run.

It is always better to have many great minds that can work together under sound leadership.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Would be a great deal. Too bad there is only room for one of him and Sven as they seem to share the same footballing vision and would probably complement each other big time.
Why would there be room for only one of him and Sven? I told you guys, Overmars is not some scout or something, Ajax have their team of scouts and Overmars is the guy that buys them, negotiates the price, makes sure the squad is ready in time, players development is rewarded in time and all contract situations are safe and healthy. He’s also in charge of sales of players. Sven can continue targetting them, finding them, chatting them up, Overmars will buy them and make sure they stay in contract or sell them in time. He’s currently selling Ajax’s 4th choice cb for 12.5M to Sevilla. Honestly he is THE man for Arsenal, Raul needs to go, not Sven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom