• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Copa America 2019

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Not really qualified to make a prediction since I haven't kept up with the Copa, except for a couple matches, but Argentina is going to get knocked out in the first round.

They are awful, barely beating Qatar. They just need a complete revamp, everyone underperforms there. From the coaching to the players, there is no cohesion at all.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Argentina v Brazil in the semi's it is, but not hyped at all even though it's been years since they met in a meaningful competition. It's unfortunate how far both national teams have seemingly fallen in the past couple of years or so (Neymar out for Brazil certainly hurts).

Wasn't able to catch Brazil v Paraguay, but it seems like they weren't at their best, failing to score in regulation, and needing penalties to advance. Argentina also struggled against Venezuela and needed a goalkeeping error to kill off the tie. It's incredible how they can't seem to obtain control of the match at any point, even against subpar opposition, and their defense is just tragic.

Not sure what to expect in the semi-final. I'd have Brazil as favorites, but Argentina have been grinding out the results. Both teams are so inconsistent, you don't know who'll turn up. Solid chance the eventual champion will come from the other half of the draw.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Argentina used to be my golden child... Now they can't even decide their own identity. Used to have a compact defensive system.

Now they are ****ty even with Messi in the team.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Alexis is still a great player, always guiding Chile to finals.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Uruguay out on penalties after Suarez missed his.

He missed the first pen, everyone else scored, 5-4 Peru.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Argentina produced their best performance in this tournament but still ended up going out. Result could have gone either way, as they hit the bar twice and should have had a penalty (not sure how they missed that with VAR), which would have made the final 10-15 minutes or so interesting. The two goals they conceded were Sunday league though, with the defense nowhere to be found, unsurprisingly.

Dani Alves still churning in the performances, was the motm for me. Gabriel Jesus also did well, scoring and assisting, but wasn't involved in much of the play. Messi wasn't spectacular, but he still created Argentina's best chances, hitting the post and squaring one which should have been an easy tap in for Aguero.

Messi also played in the free kick which Sergio headed off the bar. Thought Aguero was caught flat-footed several times, unable to anticipate quick enough to get on the end of dangerous crosses. Close but no cigar, which is a recurring theme of this Argentina generation.

Argies will have another shot at the Copa next year which they will host along with Colombia. CONMEBOL apparently wanted to realign the tournament to take place in even years like the EUROs if anyone's curious to know why there will be another Copa next year.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Problem I have with the Copa, fans get on the ref straight away and the host nation gets some dodgy calls.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
That was the last chance for Messi to win a trophy with Argentina. Can't see him doing it when he is 35 years old in Qatar.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
That was the last chance for Messi to win a trophy with Argentina. Can't see him doing it when he is 35 years old in Qatar.

They'll roll him out in a wheelchair for the Copa 2070 if that's what it takes to get him a trophy with Argentina.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom