• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Ospina: On Loan to Napoli

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Yes, because that's obviously what I said... He's not a ****ing wizard. He's a football manager. He makes mistakes, and he also gets lucky sometimes. Picking your No.2 keeper, a keeper you've obviously lost faith in, to play in a massive one off game is right and proper practice? Of course it isn't. Just because it's apparently a policy of Wengers, doesn't make it so. He's also had, and still has, some crap policies that don't make sense. This is but one. It's no biggie because either can do the job, but I wont be told it makes sense just because Wenger thinks so.

I don't see how someone can be all for Ospina taking Woj's place in the league, or indefinitely, because of Woj's apparent latent ability to make high profile **** ups, and still think this is the soundest of ideas for a huge semi final. How does one explain that stance?

Lets be honest though, it doesn't really matter because Ospina is not keeping Szcz out based on merit. Szcz **** up in the dressing room is what's made Wenger drop him, Ospina is as average as it gets in my opinion.

I do agree with you otherwise though, thought it was criminal letting Fabianski stay in goal when Woj was our number one.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think it may be merit now tbh. He's not making errors, he's doing what's expected and he's pulling off good stops. Im a fan of Woj, but to drop Ospina right now would be very harsh. I think he's getting better as the stability of his position improves.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Aside from distribution, there is nothing Ospina can do which Szczesny can't do better. When they're both on their game I think Szczesny is way ahead. Ospina probably keeps his head a bit better in certain situations but he simply doesn't have the size to be really excellent. He's yet to have a moment or make a save which really stuns me, which is something Woj has done a few times before

Still, he's not really done anything for him to be dropped so I'm happy for him to keep playing

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think Szczes is the more commanding but Ospinas distribution is so much better, I think this is a asset to an attacking team.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm very happy with Ospina, but isn't doing anything spectacularly different.

The only things I have seen him doing better is distribution and (lesser) brainfreezes.

Swallow

When the goalkeeper is at the right place he hardly needs to make a spectacular catch. All his saves become routine saves. It's analoguous to a poacher. He only scores tap ins because he is always at the right place at the right time. Food for thoughts.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agree with krack, I reckon because of the likes of Szczesny and Almunia we seem to overrate a GK who does the basics well. Ospina looks a decent GK, he isn't anything special.

Iceman10

Established Member
True enough but staying out of trouble, not finding it, and bringing a calm sense of assurance to the backline counts for a lot. The extra bit would be the kind of top saves that Neuer and De Gea pull off, but Ospina is good, if we want to improve on him it would cost a good amount of money IMO and I think we can still in trophies with him in goal. If there is a worldie available this summer then great, but not an absolute must.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I think he's comfortably better than Schez, with that said though we should look for an upgrade in the summer.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Personally I think Ospina can be as good as Lehmann. I know some really rate Lehmann but Lehmann was always a step down from Seaman to me and was never quite the World Class keeper that other Germans were/are: Kahn and Neuer.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Agree with krack, I reckon because of the likes of Szczesny and Almunia we seem to overrate a GK who does the basics well. Ospina looks a decent GK, he isn't anything special.
Im all for improvements, but I'm really not sure we could have asked any more from him. I don't think he's had the chances to look anything special yet. I think the fact that he's not 6ft 5" is making it difficult for people to warm to him. I admit I'd probably be more convinced than I am if he was. I think if Woj had gone about his business in the same way Ospina has since he came in, people would be saying he'd ironed out his problems and he's great again.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Consistently makes good saves, has made no big errors and despite him being dodgy in the air (supposedly) he hasn't had many problems in that area. I don't see why people still aren't happy with him.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

I'm surprised everyone thinks his distribution is good... I actually think it's quite bad
Szcz and Ospina are equal to me anyway. Both are as bad/good as each other. Id get cech

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Ospina > Szczesny for me. He's made a lot of good saves and is better with crosses than Woj. Not too flashy but does his job. His height is a bit of a problem and his distribution might not be great but it's certainly better than Szczesny's.

Problem is that he's not as good as De Gea, Courtois, Lloris or Cech. If we can get the latter we should because he's an upgrade, but we don't need Cech, Ospina and Szczesny. So what to do with whom?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think he is a very solid keeper who will make very good reaction saves. He seems to be adept at one on ones. However, he can me improved upon.

I think people are overwhelmed by Courtois and De Ghea, based on the type of saves they make every game. They have to make acrobatic goal preventing saves each match. That is a sign of a good keeper. However, do you guys know what the sign of a better one is? One who doesn't need to make saves because he is always in the right position. Seaman and Lehmann were a cut above the rest in that respect. Seaman was incredible. His positioning was so good, he very rarely needed to dive. I think Wenger is still looking for that keeper.

Maybe someone can back this up with stats or prove me wrong, but whenever I watch the other top teams their keeper seems to do a hell of a lot of work. Much more than Ospina has done since the turn of the year. Making saves regularly is very different to 'making saves when called upon'.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
@The_Playmaker

I have always had a problem rating keepers because of the positioning. I know nothing about where a keeper should stand so it's hard to say if it's a good save or if he was in a poor position which makes the save look spectacular. The easiest critisism is a nearpost goal, flappyhands, running out poorly or a shot that goes in nearby the keeper. That everyone can see.

Added to the positives of Ospina that ou mention i feel the distribution is something he does much better than our pole. Scz has always been awful in that regard imo.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom