• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Trezeguet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutsy

Established Member
Saha is pretty much gone anyway, heard he's on his way out for Mancs, don't have any reliable source link to confirm that, but a mate of mine - a strong strong obsessed Manc supporter believes so.(amazing how we can actually talk in civilized manner).

If Trez going, doubt Mancs would be interested to be honest, they are wanking over for Torres who seemed to be in the market now. Why would they buy an age-ing player to ad in their already age-ing squad.

And yeah, I would stress that if Trez cost 5m, how did his wages can shooot up to 90k per week

Glovegun

Established Member
lewdikris said:
This is the Trezeguet dilemma - he's not very good (can't pass, not fast, not amazing in the air, not got a great shot), but whatever else he does, he scores 1 goal in every 2 games at all levels of football.

Anyone with a record like that should walk into any team in the world. You only have to look at Inzaghi, who has all the same problems, and who Milan was criticised to hell for signing ... but yet, when it really matters, he's the dude who scores 2 in the champions league final.

I love the capability Robin, Ade, Bendtner and Walcott obviously have...

... but if it was 1-1 in the FA Cup final against Chelsea next may, and a decent chance came up, its Trezeguet who I KNOW would score the winning goal.

Much as I dislike him as a player, it's hard to hide from that certainty, particularly after the goalscoring probs of last season...

exactly

Grampus_Eight

United will seem to be the most likely destination for Trez. They're not renewing Smith's deal. Have Shaha injured/out the door. Ole Gunnar needed another operation and Rossi may go to Porto or stay at Parma on loan.

As for why they'd go for him over Torres - well there's a good chance Milan, Liverpool, Chelski and Arsenal will all try to sign Torres and therefore keep his price well above £20m.

United have already spend big and might not have another £23m to shell out on Torres.

I think they'll end up with Huntelaar, McCarthy or Trez.

Grampus_Eight

GoonerGurjit said:
DAVID TREZEGUET'S SCORING RECORD:

I think this is for league games only.

1997/98: Monaco P27 G18

1998/99: Monaco P27 G12

1999/00: Monaco P30 G22

2000/01: Juventus P25 G14

2001/02: Juventus P34 G24

2002/03: Juventus P17 G9

2003/04: Juventus P25 G16

2004/05: Juventus P18 G9

2005/06: Juventus P32 G23

2006/07: JuveB P27 G14

FRANCE: 34 goals in 68 games.

Trez scores a lot more in even ending season. Sign him up he'll go off like a top next year. :D

run

For the past two summers I have been praying that Arsène would sign another "world-class" striker to partner Henry...you know, Torres, Eto'o etc. But the more I think about it, we already have one in RVP. Be honest, if RVP was playing in the Dutch league or at a smaller club in Spain whatever; he would be up there with Villa and Torres in terms of transfer fees and interest from other clubs.

Given that, and assuming Henry is here for another couple of years...a guy like Trezeguet is perfect. He is exactly what people on this board have been clamoring for, a goalscorer, he won't cost that much, he is experienced at all levels, he won't really displace RVP, and as an added bonus he'll keep Henry happy.

Easy choice really...

Big_Cake

run said:
For the past two summers I have been praying that Arsène would sign another "world-class" striker to partner Henry...you know, Torres, Eto'o etc. But the more I think about it, we already have one in RVP. Be honest, if RVP was playing in the Dutch league or at a smaller club in Spain whatever; he would be up there with Villa and Torres in terms of transfer fees and interest from other clubs.

Given that, and assuming Henry is here for another couple of years...a guy like Trezeguet is perfect. He is exactly what people on this board have been clamoring for, a goalscorer, he won't cost that much, he is experienced at all levels, he won't really displace RVP, and as an added bonus he'll keep Henry happy.

Easy choice really...

I disagree, I think he will displace RvP and partner Henry up front. Afterall he is more experienced and more proven.
However it is common knowledge that Henry and Trez don't combine well for the national team so why would Wenger get him here?
Also hasn't Owen got a realise clause of about 9.5mill or something? A much better option than Trez imo, would be lethal at Arsenal

run

Reyesvanpersie...

You certainly may be right about how Trezeguet would be used were he to come here...and I have posted in other threads how i wouldn't mind seeing Owen come to Arsenal.

But in my opinion neither of them are good enough to consistently make our first eleven. I think they could both add something to the side though, and would love Arsène to bring one of them, or someone like them, to Arsenal.

I think our first eleven is equal to any in Europe, what we lack is depth and I think Arsène knows that...If he signs Trezeguet I think it will be to provide cover, to come on late to snatch goals, and maybe start occasionally.

For all the reasons those who object to signing Trezeguet cite, I don't think Arsène will sign him to keep RVP on the sideline.

Big_Cake

Tbh - I can't see Owen or Trez coming here, although I would like Owen, he just doesn't fit the mould of other Wenger signings

Grampus_Eight

Reyesvanpersie said:
Tbh - I can't see Owen or Trez coming here, although I would like Owen, he just doesn't fit the mould of other Wenger signings

Owen? Not a chance. His wages are astronomical and it looks like he may have permanently lost another gear. And he cannot stay fit.

Trez is a player who has stayed relatively injury free and his the appearances to prove it. Same for McCarthy and Anelka.

But Owen? Unless it's a pay to play deal, I wouldn't touch him.

asajoseph

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
Reyesvanpersie said:

Owen? Not a chance. His wages are astronomical and it looks like he may have permanently lost another gear. And he cannot stay fit.

Trez is a player who has stayed relatively injury free and his the appearances to prove it. Same for McCarthy and Anelka.

But Owen? Unless it's a pay to play deal, I wouldn't touch him.

Agree on Owen, but Trez a fit player? The guy has only played 30+ matches twice in his career, and averages just under 24 league games over the last 5 seasons. He's injury free relative to Owen, but that's about it.

Grampus_Eight

Yeah I meant relative to Owen. You're right about Trez, but compared to Owen he's Kolo Toure. Also, at Juve, he's had real competition for his place so I doubt he's had to play too much when he wasn't totally fit.

McCarthy, Anelka and Trez all better options than Mickey Owen. All more likely to accept rotation as well.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much though as I see little chance we bring in another striker unless Henry departs which I don't see happening until next summer.

Strategically, it would best to keep Henry - but to bring in someone like Huntelaar, Bent, Tevez or Torres this summer - so we're in a position of strength next summer. Unfortunately, I think it's clear we don't have that sort of finance. [/list]

M+D

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
DAVID TREZEGUET'S SCORING RECORD:

I think this is for league games only.

1997/98: Monaco P27 G18

1998/99: Monaco P27 G12

1999/00: Monaco P30 G22

2000/01: Juventus P25 G14

2001/02: Juventus P34 G24

2002/03: Juventus P17 G9

2003/04: Juventus P25 G16

2004/05: Juventus P18 G9

2005/06: Juventus P32 G23

FRANCE: 34 goals in 68 games.

Good scoring record, but never seems to play many games a season. Injures a problem with him I assume. But he has never averaged less than a goal every 2 games throughout his career except 98/99 season, which is an impressive statistic, not entirely sure he's what we need though...

asajoseph

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
Yeah I meant relative to Owen. You're right about Trez, but compared to Owen he's Kolo Toure. Also, at Juve, he's had real competition for his place so I doubt he's had to play too much when he wasn't totally fit.

McCarthy, Anelka and Trez all better options than Mickey Owen. All more likely to accept rotation as well.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much though as I see little chance we bring in another striker unless Henry departs which I don't see happening until next summer.

Strategically, it would best to keep Henry - but to bring in someone like Huntelaar, Bent, Tevez or Torres this summer - so we're in a position of strength next summer. Unfortunately, I think it's clear we don't have that sort of finance. [/list]

More or less agree there, I think. I'd certainly take Benni, though I'm still not cool with Anelka after how he burned his bridges all those years ago. Trezeguet a better option than Owen? Well, I have to say I rate Mickey O as a player, but as you say, his injury issues must surely rule him out, so yup, pretty much agree.

YourFriendPaul

Lord Dula said:
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=81804&plid=3889&clid=128&cpid=8

"There are suggestions that Arsenal will have to break the world transfer record - currently at around £48 million."

WTF??!? How the hell did we get from 5M, and 90K a week, to breaking the bank at 50MIL??

Tell me that has GOT to be in error- If we had anything CLOSE to 50 Mil... well, I'll stop before I lose my head- but, we'd not be going for Trez, surely... (surely??)

EDIT: ... OOoohhh. '02. Right. Well.. as you were then... :wink:

YourFriendPaul

You're all killing me.. every time I see a transfer related topic float to the top o' the list, I think we're finally on to something.

Why did I think this summer would be any different? :?

kamikaze80

Established Member
i think most of you underestimate the importance of pace in the modern game (and especially in england) and are ignoring trez's wages. you really want to pay 90k for a 3rd, maybe 4th choice striker? if you're sick of freddie, then you'll just love trez...

for me, this is just a dumb rumour that some journo started. wenger would never waste so much money just to keep henry happy. and i doubt signing him would placate henry anyway, hes not stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom