• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dayot Upamecano

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Let's just sit back for a moment and play the hypothetical game that all of that would be true and it would not affect the partey deal, which in turn is assumed to happen..

I think we can agree on those two deals being way more than what we would espect and it would address our key problems pretty well, so it would be really harsh to criticize the board for that.

Yet, wouldn't it make more sense to go for someone pretty much as promising as him like Gabriel and still have like 30m for a good RB ?

Think too many high profile targets are risky considering how much the success of those deals will determine as to what we will be able to do in the future.

Would much rather go for slightly less high profile targets and you'd be able to fix more issues.

It just depends on what difference there is between Upamecano and Gabriel. I dont know either well enough to judge.

It's all about what you can do. Is Thomas/Upamecano/Bellerin better than say Thomas/Gabriel/Aarons?

I would rather 2 top players than 3 half decent ones and I think it the past it's been something that has been a problem. Signing 3 middle of the road players instead of 1 or 2 top players.

To be honest I would want a centre half from the PL to partner Saliba. Imagine having 2 new young CB in the league, Tierney who is still basically new to the league albeit not really country. Bellerin coming back from injury.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It just depends on what difference there is between Upamecano and Gabriel. I dont know either well enough to judge.

It's all about what you can do. Is Thomas/Upamecano/Bellerin better than say Thomas/Gabriel/Aarons?

I would rather 2 top players than 3 half decent ones and I think it the past it's been something that has been a problem. Signing 3 middle of the road players instead of 1 or 2 top players.

To be honest I would want a centre half from the PL to partner Saliba. Imagine having 2 new young CB in the league, Tierney who is still basically new to the league albeit not really country. Bellerin coming back from injury.

It's a good idea, but who are the candidates? Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is Nathan Ake.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

If we get Upamecano I'd be pretty happy, if Barca, Munich & Juventus are after him aswell I think that shows his quality. He's only young & I do believe he has top quality potential. Saliba & Upamecano I'm willing to give a go.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He dominated Sp**s in the Champions League, even if he does look a bit rash.

We need centre backs who can at least cope physically in this league, that's why I was so happy to get Saliba...literally zero of our current centre backs have recovery pace, it really limits the way we play, if someone gets he behind us we are ****ed really.

I don't think we will get Dayot, but hopefully these are the player profiles we are targeting, fast players...haven't had a fast centre back since peak Kos.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I don't think our problem has been being cheap, Mustafi and Xhaka have not been cheap at all, especially at the time we got them. It's much rather that we did terribly in terms of what players we went for as there have been pretty obvious talents for half the price we didn't choose to look at...

We also ignored the balance of our squad - it's all been a big mess under Gazidis to be honest.

Looking at the type of signings we are looking to make now gives me confidence that there are good changes coming up though - Upamecano and Partey are exactly those big, strong athletic guys we are lacking.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The link was fake anyway, lock this thread until there actual news.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Let's just sit back for a moment and play the hypothetical game that all of that would be true and it would not affect the partey deal, which in turn is assumed to happen..

I think we can agree on those two deals being way more than what we would espect and it would address our key problems pretty well, so it would be really harsh to criticize the board for that.

Yet, wouldn't it make more sense to go for someone pretty much as promising as him like Gabriel and still have like 30m for a good RB ?

Think too many high profile targets are risky considering how much the success of those deals will determine as to what we will be able to do in the future.

Would much rather go for slightly less high profile targets and you'd be able to fix more issues.
Gabriel Maghales and Pau Torres actually look better than Upamecano. Guy gives me Mustafi like vibe. Those two seem calm, composed and skilled on the ball. Upa seems like he is barging in all the time and error prone.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Koscielny
He dominated Sp**s in the Champions League, even if he does look a bit rash.

We need centre backs who can at least cope physically in this league, that's why I was so happy to get Saliba...literally zero of our current centre backs have recovery pace, it really limits the way we play, if someone gets he behind us we are ****ed really.

I don't think we will get Dayot, but hopefully these are the player profiles we are targeting, fast players...haven't had a fast centre back since peak Kos.
Koscielny at his peak was pretty rapid, you rarely saw him beaten for pace

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I really don't understand the hype surrounding this guy, he looks very very rash and prone to injuries. Gabriel is the one to go for imo, has all of the tools a modern CB needs: tall, fast and can play. He is left footed as well which is a massive bonus. A Saliba-Gabriel partnership is potentially a title winning combination.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Fwiw, I really don't think we'll be looking at Upamecano anymore. In my opinion we'll be after a left footed CB. Pau Torres + Gabriel etc. We have Saliba that will take the right side once Luiz leaves and I think we'll look to bring in that left footed CB for balance, not sure it'll be Mari.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I really don't understand the hype surrounding this guy, he looks very very rash and prone to injuries. Gabriel is the one to go for imo, has all of the tools a modern CB needs: tall, fast and can play. He is left footed as well which is a massive bonus. A Saliba-Gabriel partnership is potentially a title winning combination.

Gabriel does look good, for sure, but Upamecano is also very good tbf. He has quite a unique combination of strength and pace, plus he can pass well and dribble with the ball into midfield. But you're right he does look a bit error-prone with his aggressive style.

One thing i'll say about CB's is that you don't necessarily need two tall aerially-dominant CB's, or one right-footed CB and one left-footed CB. You just need a pairing that has a good balance of skills between them. You can have one that's good in the air while the other is quicker over the ground, or one that is more aggressive in duels while the other takes the ball and passes.

Likewise if you have two right-footed CB's but one of them is adept at playing on the left-hand side then that's fine. Koulibaly is a very good right-footed left-sided CB for example.

Not saying Upamecano is the only legitimate candidate, just that we should look for who's a good partner to Saliba - who's going to be very good in the air. Perhaps we want someone who's better at passing, or who's quicker in recoveries. Boubacar Kamara from Marseille, for example, isn't very big. Fans would say he's not tall enough to compete in the air. But he's a very good defender and next to Saliba they could strike a good balance of skills.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom