• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Deadline Day January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman10

Established Member
Does that mean Mustafi stays?

ffs Arteta out again

Club and player are still working on a mutual termination. Something makes me feel he doesn’t want the embarrassment of being left out of squad registration in the same way Özil was. Would be made easier if he knew a club was prepared to sign him up immediately, still think there is a good chance of that happening Monday.

say yes

forum master baiter
From Orny:

Unhappy Van Aanholt could make a late escape

One player it may be worth keeping an eye on today is Patrick van Aanholt, whose Crystal Palace contract expires at the end of this season.

Reports over the weekend suggested that Arsenal could make a surprise late move for the left-back, with Mikel Arteta short of options in that position. Kieran Tierney has missed their last three matches with a leg injury, Bukayo Saka was absent from the goalless draw against Manchester United with a hip complaint and Sead Kolasinac recently joined Schalke on loan. Ainsley Maitland-Niles could also exit on a temporary basis, leaving the right-footed Cedric Soares as the only option available.

The Athletic understands there has been no contact between Arsenal and Palace or Van Aanholt’s representatives as yet, although that could change before the 11pm deadline. He is thought to figure on the recruitment lists of several Premier League clubs, in addition to some top-flight sides in Europe.

Palace did offer Van Aanholt a new deal but talks stalled after an agreement could not be reached. The most likely scenario is Van Aanholt departing Selhurst Park as a free agent in the summer.

A glimpse into the 30-year-old’s mindset was perhaps given last week when the main images on his social media pages were changed from him playing for Palace to representing the Dutch national team. It also did not go unnoticed that Saturday’s anniversary of his arrival at Palace went unmarked by the club. Palace regularly celebrate such moments, most recently commemorating Jeffrey Schlupp joining from Leicester City just a couple of weeks before Van Aanholt was signed. The Dutchman’s appearance in the 1-0 win over Wolves on Saturday was his first league start of 2021.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I think it's great that we're now recruiting on Twitter! We'll end up with a team full of twits. He was also great on Fantasy Football until last season so could get us a lot of points there.

In the real world, not as good as Kolasinac who we got rid of unceremoniously. Bertrand a safer option.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Reading that Orny piece, it’s interesting that we’re trying to impose an obligation to buy.

Imagine being set on not selling or even maybe not loaning a dead player such as Willock, yet looking to sell AMN when his stock has fallen because he hasn't been played.

Guy's 10 times the talent willock has in midfield.

Jae

Part of what's made Liverpool successful in recent times is their squad building. Signings players in the early to mid 20's range, trying to find bargains and shrewd signings. You won't see them signing aging players from Chelsea like Luiz and Willian. Or a guy not deemed good enough for Southampton nearing 30. Wasting 72 million on someone like Pepe, persisting with players proven to be not good enough like Lacazette, Xhaka, Bellerin and the likes. Liverpool and Arsenal have been night and day in recent times. A case study in how to build a squad vs how not to build a squad without the luxury of billionaire owners.

Recently yes, but it took them a while to get to that stage. Their record over the past 10 years with signing players is abysmal. Here are a few they've signed off the top of my head.

Benteke
Carroll
Robbie Keane
Ballotelli
Charlie Adam
Alberto Mareno
Lazar Markovic
Rickie Lambert
Steven Caulker
Stewart Downing
Fabio Borini
Alberto Aqualani

When they get it right they get it right, but they've had a lot of trail and error along the way. Only thing I will say about them is they are quick to shift the dead weight.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Van Aanholt?

Hes never been any better than average at best, would rather stick with Cedric and AMN than sign him.

I dont get why people want players like him who have a few above average games a year to ride our bench, hes going to be so out of form and out of sync with the back four when he gets his game time.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Imagine being set on not selling or even maybe not loaning a dead player such as Willock, yet looking to sell AMN when his stock has fallen because he hasn't been played.

Guy's 10 times the talent willock has in midfield.

Willock is 21 years old, Maitland Niles is 23 years old. Like it or not Willock is still young enough to come good in the future, while this season is already make it or break it for Maitland Niles and yet he's not even playing.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Recently yes, but it took them a while to get to that stage. Their record over the past 10 years with signing players is abysmal. Here are a few they've signed off the top of my head.

Benteke
Carroll
Robbie Keane
Ballotelli
Charlie Adam
Alberto Mareno
Lazar Markovic
Rickie Lambert
Steven Caulker
Stewart Downing
Fabio Borini
Alberto Aqualani

When they get it right they get it right, but they've had a lot of trail and error along the way. Only thing I will say about them is they are quick to shift the dead weight.
But that's the thing which most clubs including Arsenal fail at. Scouting is not perfect. Even a good player may not suit a given set up. Clubs should be smart enough to identify a player who isn't going to make it there and sell them as soon as possible. This way, they can limit their losses and also move on to the next player thereby increasing the chances of finding a good player who suits the team.

Reactions: Jae

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Arteta: we still working on buying LB but it may or may not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom