• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Dejan Lovren

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Williams isn't very good at all, he might do a better 3rd choice job than Verm but that's it. He's never going to break into our first 11.

At least with Lovren you have a guy keeping Per and Kos on their toes, and potentially succeeding them when they hit their 30s. I still think that £15-20m is steep for a guy who's going to come in to play around 10 games a season initially, I haven't seen that much of him but I'd hope that he could push for a starting spot.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Hasn't Caulker been talked about at sub-£10m? He's even younger, would count as HG and is easily available.

Iceman10

Established Member
mavelous said:
speaking of youth ranks, how do you guys rate isaac hayden? is he better than miquel/bartley? we haven't produced a defender since gibbs.

Mav, we need someone who follows the reserves closely such as Mutable Earth to answer that. All I know is that Miquel's loan at Leicester was mixed. Even if we sign someone such as Lovren (and I agree Mastadon, ~£10m of the ~£15m fee can come from the sale of Vermaelen) the question remains who would be our fourth choice in absence of Sagna.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Iceman10 said:
mavelous said:
speaking of youth ranks, how do you guys rate isaac hayden? is he better than miquel/bartley? we haven't produced a defender since gibbs.

Mav, we need someone who follows the reserves closely such as Mutable Earth to answer that. All I know is that Miquel's loan at Leicester was mixed. Even if we sign someone such as Lovren (and I agree Mastadon, ~£10m of the ~£15m fee can come from the sale of Vermaelen) the question remains who would be our fourth choice in absence of Sagna.

Hayden looks good but desperately needs a loan. He's an intelligent player and a tough tackler - they are actually grooming him for a midfield role rather than CB. It's thought that his technique on the ball and versatility will help him there. It's too early to say what he'll be like, but Yennaris looked just as promising and never made it. We'll see with Hayden - his positioning and intelligence are what makes him standout though,

VancouverCanuck

musicmonkey said:
Hasn't Caulker been talked about at sub-£10m? He's even younger, would count as HG and is easily available.
He is a Spud, or used to be. Not sure if he is keen on joining the best team in London.

Suave Gooner89

Established Member
VancouverCanuck said:
musicmonkey said:
He is a Spud, or used to be. Not sure if he is keen on joining the best team in London.

Didn't deter Sol Campbell...

thedon5

VancouverCanuck said:
musicmonkey said:

All the more reason for him to join us, to prove them wrong and piss them off for not giving him proper game time when he obviously deserved it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Moving between Sp**s and Arsenal only causes an uproar when it's a direct transfer.

Caulker would get stick if he came here but no one will be burning his shirt, it'll be like Bentley, Ade, Gallas etc joining Sp**s, for us.

That said, we haven't been linked in a while. Think he wants to play every week too, reason why he left Sp**s.

Pies

GDeep said:
Your 3rd choice CB has to be quality when you play as many games as us, these guys will cost 15-20M.

Wenger will tell the likes of Lovren to join, impress in training and take his chance when he gets it.

Wenger might be open to rotating more if we had a more reliable option than Vermaelen.

Indeed.
We have to make these type of signings to push on.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

onetowatch said:
Why do Arsenal fans care so much about cost? No other set of fans do as much as us. The board and Wenger have successfully brainwashed us over the years. £15m would be a fair price for Lovren, squaddie or not.

Honestly, we are sitting on the highest cash reserves in the league by a country mile, charge the highest ticket prices in the world, have the second biggest stadium, biggest kit deal, biggest sponsorship deal and are in the most lucrative league in the world. We are also the 5th/6th biggest club in the world in terms of revenue, brand worth etc. And fans are worrying themselves over spending £15m on a quality young player in a position we are light in. We are in 2014 FFS. :roll:
Too much sense.

Many gooners have been indoctrinated into Wengers way of thinking. A player is valued in two ways the need for him and the money you are prepared to pay. If we NEED a quality 3rd choice CB then more money is required, if we only need a player to fill a space then less money is required.

If we need a top quality CF and they cost 50m but we are only prepared to pay 30 then we wont get a top quality CF. Everything is relative but it shouldnt be for us to say that is too much. If Benzema is available for 35 and Balotelli 30 paying the extra five for a better player shouldnt worry fans. Same applies to any other position on the park.

scytheavatar

Established Member
onetowatch said:
Why do Arsenal fans care so much about cost? No other set of fans do as much as us. The board and Wenger have successfully brainwashed us over the years. £15m would be a fair price for Lovren, squaddie or not.

Wenger is not going to pay £15m for a player to sit on our benches, if he's paying that much then we can no longer judge Lovren as a squaddie but as someone who Wenger thinks could be replacing Mert/Kos very soon. For that I don't have a feeling Lovren's good enough.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

scytheavatar said:
onetowatch said:

Wenger is not going to pay £15m for a player to sit on our benches, if he's paying that much then we can no longer judge Lovren as a squaddie but as someone who Wenger thinks could be replacing Mert/Kos very soon. For that I don't have a feeling Lovren's good enough.
I think this is exactly what the guy means. 15m is now standard but we are to concerned about cost.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
vs Liverpool <a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/aGjXhefrzd0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/aGjXhefrzd0</a>

vs Everton <a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuBbdklxcM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuBbdklxcM</a>

vs Chelsea <a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/s3e-Ta9i5R4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/s3e-Ta9i5R4</a>

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Lovren and a RB or CM who can play CB comfortably and we are set defensively. Vermaelen and Djourous fees will cover Lovren and his wages comfortably.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Dejan Lovren to force exit from Southampton with pre-season no-show

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11315980.Lovren_to_force_exit_from_Saints_with_pre_season_no_show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints ... n_no_show/</a>

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Liverpool are going in strong for Lovren, if we don't offer first team football you'd think he'd goto Liverpool as he could be a starter. Could he bench Mertesacker?

Iceman10

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Liverpool are going in strong for Lovren, if we don't offer first team football you'd think he'd goto Liverpool as he could be a starter. Could he bench Mertesacker?

If the rumours are true that Liverpool has bid £20m for him then we are done. Even for that amount Southampton are apparently putting up resistance which is what I predicted would happen, i.e. they have received enough money from Shaw and Lallana transfers and any more outs in addition will be too much, giving a sense of a crisis, which is not good for any owner even if they are more financial centric as opposed to football/sporting centric.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Iceman10 said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:

If the rumours are true that Liverpool has bid £20m for him then we are done. Even for that amount Southampton are apparently putting up resistance which is what I predicted would happen, i.e. they have received enough money from Shaw and Lallana transfers and any more outs in addition will be too much, giving a sense of a crisis, which is not good for any owner even if they are more financial centric as opposed to football/sporting centric.
That could be problematic for us unless everything is already done and dusted and just waiting for France to exit the WC.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom