• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Release Clause Targets: January 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,770
  • Views 287,227

Which CF would you sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Never scored over 19 non penalty goals in the league and at the same age had 9 league goals to his name, one of which was a penalty. To his credit Lacazette had been fairly consistent in the number of goals from open play he has scored year in year out in both France and England. Problem is he just doesn't score enough of them.
Fair enough but I think Lacazettes lack of goals if overblown. Only 8 players scored more league goals than Laca's 13 last season and he started a lot less games than all of those above him.

I actually think 19 league goals is a lot, I shake my head when I see talk about finding a 20+ league goal a season striker as finding that kind of player is highly unlikely. The only ones who do that regularly are Kane, Aguero and Salah and all take penalties regularly.

Only 2 players got more than 19 goals last season
Only 4 players in 2019-20, 2018-19, 2017-18
Only 5 players in 2016-17
Only 3 players in 2015-16, 2014-15, 2013-14, 2012-2013, 2011-2012

19 goals of any description would put you in the top 6 scorers in the league for the last 10 seasons, 19 open play goals and a few penalties would see you getting the golden boot most years.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
This is a really nice way of looking at it. I did a stats based one (since I'm me). Can't include all of them, but added Jovic. Also can't include some of the traits as data isn't really available, or at least not to me.

View attachment 5428

Used FBRef data and looked for above 50th percentile among forwards in the last 365 days (FBRef's scouting report).

Good in the air - Aerials won & aerials won %. If player is above 50th percentile they get .5 points for each
Can create their own shots - SCA (drib) or successful dribbles that led to a shot attempt.
Can pass incisively - Key passes, Passes into penalty area & SCA (PassLive)
Can retain possession back to goal and link - Dispossessed/Touches ratio & Miscontrols/Pass target ratio. .5 points if player has 5% or less. Not an exact science to judge if they're in the 50th percentile since it's a ratio but benchmarks gives that it's a fair number imo
Movement to attack the ball
Has the pace to run in behind
Is robust and physical

Can dribble - Successful dribbles & Successful dribble % gives .5 each
Can score from the edge of the box Shooting ability - Shots total & npxG/Shot gives .5 each
Can use both feet
Nice! Love what you've done here and it's unfair to pick holes in your method but using the 50th pc seems a bit binary, like we are rewarding qualities that are average but not exceptional... That aside I think that non penalty goals / expected goals should have a higher rating as the key stat for central forwards...

Also, where you've got options coming out similar, but some are aged 21/22 and others are 27 there's obviously the chance that the younger guys can improve elements of their game. It's a really arbitrary opinion, but I kind of think that guys like Ollie Watkins have a ceiling based on what we've seen already whereas some of the others might go on to be incredible over time... It's damn hard predicting who though.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Nice! Love what you've done here and it's unfair to pick holes in your method but using the 50th pc seems a bit binary, like we are rewarding qualities that are average but not exceptional... That aside I think that non penalty goals / expected goals should have a higher rating as the key stat for central forwards...

Also, where you've got options coming out similar, but some are aged 21/22 and others are 27 there's obviously the chance that the younger guys can improve elements of their game. It's a really arbitrary opinion, but I kind of think that guys like Ollie Watkins have a ceiling based on what we've seen already whereas some of the others might go on to be incredible over time... It's damn hard predicting who though.
Yep, I mean this is just my stats take on the scoring method The Playmaker suggested, which is binary in itself. If we look at players’ relative competence in each of these then all of a sudden we’re looking at very different players.
Also, if we’re setting the threshold at even the 75th percentile then none of them will look particularly prolific.

I might have some time tonight or tomorrow to do radar charts for some of them, but then I’ll base it on Statsbomb’s radars for forwards so won’t be quite the same

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is a really nice way of looking at it. I did a stats based one (since I'm me). Can't include all of them, but added Jovic. Also can't include some of the traits as data isn't really available, or at least not to me.

View attachment 5428

Used FBRef data and looked for above 50th percentile among forwards in the last 365 days (FBRef's scouting report).

Good in the air - Aerials won & aerials won %. If player is above 50th percentile they get .5 points for each
Can create their own shots - SCA (drib) or successful dribbles that led to a shot attempt.
Can pass incisively - Key passes, Passes into penalty area & SCA (PassLive)
Can retain possession back to goal and link - Dispossessed/Touches ratio & Miscontrols/Pass target ratio. .5 points if player has 5% or less. Not an exact science to judge if they're in the 50th percentile since it's a ratio but benchmarks gives that it's a fair number imo
Movement to attack the ball
Has the pace to run in behind
Is robust and physical

Can dribble - Successful dribbles & Successful dribble % gives .5 each
Can score from the edge of the box Shooting ability - Shots total & npxG/Shot gives .5 each
Can use both feet
That is some thorough work. Excellent post. I guessed the scores without looking at stats, but it is really interesting that Jovic ranks the highest statistically. I don't think there is a more complete striker available. It would be interesting to see how Schick scores also.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yep, I mean this is just my stats take on the scoring method The Playmaker suggested, which is binary in itself. If we look at players’ relative competence in each of these then all of a sudden we’re looking at very different players.
Also, if we’re setting the threshold at even the 75th percentile then none of them will look particularly prolific.

I might have some time tonight or tomorrow to do radar charts for some of them, but then I’ll base it on Statsbomb’s radars for forwards so won’t be quite the same
Here's a more thorough look at it. Added in Schick as well. And Laca as reference for what we've got today. Went for some combination of that crab stats dude on twitter's categories and ones I personally felt were interesting.

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.03.56.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.04.35.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.05.04.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.05.35.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.06.09.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.06.46.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.07.42.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.08.11.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.09.36.pngScreenshot 2022-01-02 at 23.11.25.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom