• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Buendia is basic, hope we don't go in for him in the summer.

Leno, Partey and Aubameyang is experience to build around. We need to make a decision on Luiz, Xhaka, Bellerin, Willian and Lacazette. Think I'd move them all on bar Bellerin.

I like the sound of developing a young squad. I think we need an experienced head at CB. Chambers are Mari are of a good age and experienced, but we need a seasoned winner like Luiz in my opinion, just not Luiz!

Hopefully we can sign a Ceballos or Ødegaard on a permanent deal. Again, it doesn't have to be them, just a young talent with experience. Aoaur will surely be the main target again and between AMN, Guendouzi and Willock we have good back up options or players with value for a transfer.

I don't feel like we need much in the forward areas talent wise. Aubameyang is one of Europe's best strikers, Pepe and ESR on their day are definitely top 6 quality and Martinelli and Saka are two of the world's most exciting youngsters.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Buendia is basic, hope we don't go in for him in the summer.

Leno, Partey and Aubameyang is experience to build around. We need to make a decision on Luiz, Xhaka, Bellerin, Willian and Lacazette. Think I'd move them all on bar Bellerin.

I like the sound of developing a young squad. I think we need an experienced head at CB. Chambers are Mari are of a good age and experienced, but we need a seasoned winner like Luiz in my opinion, just not Luiz!

Hopefully we can sign a Ceballos or Ødegaard on a permanent deal. Again, it doesn't have to be them, just a young talent with experience. Aoaur will surely be the main target again and between AMN, Guendouzi and Willock we have good back up options or players with value for a transfer.

I don't feel like we need much in the forward areas talent wise. Aubameyang is one of Europe's best strikers, Pepe and ESR on their day are definitely top 6 quality and Martinelli and Saka are two of the world's most exciting youngsters.

I kinda agree we might need an experienced figure if Luiz goes, a leader. Not to go all Roy Keane but you do need a winning mentality in a dressing room, i'm not sure if Leno, Partey, and Auba is enough. Although I think Xhaka probably will stay and he has a good mentality.

Disagree about the forward line though. We had all our forwards on against Villa and couldn't score. Think we need a quality forward to revitalise the attack.

truth_hurts

I kinda agree we might need an experienced figure if Luiz goes, a leader. Not to go all Roy Keane but you do need a winning mentality in a dressing room, i'm not sure if Leno, Partey, and Auba is enough. Although I think Xhaka probably will stay and he has a good mentality.

Disagree about the forward line though. We had all our forwards on against Villa and couldn't score. Think we need a quality forward to revitalise the attack.

Could moving Auba centrally and 2 of Saka, Pepe and Martinelli catching fire not give us the attacking spark?

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Could moving Auba centrally and 2 of Saka, Pepe and Martinelli catching fire not give us the attacking spark?

I don't want to discount Auba, he's been massive for us and has been scoring for fun in a disfunctional team for years actually covering up some glaring weaknesses in our squad by bailing us out many times. However, now that his scoring form has dried up it has become quite painful to see how little he contributes.

I'm also in favor of moving Auba centrally, especially now that we have a solid mix of wingers and AM's, but we do need to start planning for the medium term without Auba.

Bringing in a solid striker is quite important to me this summer. Ideally this striker could be slowly bedded into the squad to take over from Auba. However, given his dire form and massive contract I would consider an offer if it did come in.

I really hope Depay to Barca isn't secretly concluded yet (given the financial issues at Barca at the moment) and that we can swoop in for him this summer. Would basically be my ideal striker signing, but also because I think we need to go in hard for Grealish and the striker market isn't all that the last few years.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

Maybe but probably not. I think we need to realise how mid-table we've become. We didn't even legitimately qualify for Europa League last season, we had to sneak in through the back door.

Maybe it's a mixture of factors, but ultimately I think the reason we have a lot of games where we don't score is cos we don't have as much quality in the final 3rd as we used to. The Auba/Laca era is coming to an end and it wasn't that amazing to begin with. Saka/ESR are great but they're 5 years away from their primes. Pepe is a good player, but he's inconsistent and not elite.

To me we just look like a team in need of a bit of quality, someone to come in and lift everyone around them and create some excitement. We need an Alexis type, an RvP type. Someone like Grealish obviously.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I'd favor signing a creative LW/CAM over signing an all-around CF. Move Aubameyang to CF permanently, get a creative winger on the left and have Saka, ESR, Pépé and that signing supply Auba.

This is for two reasons: 1) We aren't getting rid of Auba, and the sensible thing to do is to maximize his impact. 2) Martinelli should be our CF in the post-Auba era, so it's pointless to sign a long-term CF.

Grealish is obviously the dream, I'd be content only signing Grealish and not signing anyone else, in fact. I think Olise would be a very sensible target, also, if we combine him with other reinforcements.

Agree with almost all of this.

I guess Grealish truly is out of Arsenal's reach, so I'd still be all over Marcel Sabitzer. Fixes LW/RW/AM/CM, can play along all of the young attacking talent, can play as part of or in front of a double pivot in a 4231, can play in a midfield three in a 433, in central midfield or as an outside attacking mid in a 442 or 4222. Very much of a playmaker in a modern mold, can score goals, used to a pressing system, works hard defensively. Also would add structure and experience to the squad and give his best years to Arsenal. Thing is: Apparently he is thinking about moving on, but would he swap RB Leipzig + CL + Nagelsmann for Arsenal + no Europe at all + Arteta?

Then you add someone with the profile of Josh Da Silva or Orel Mangala as central midfielder, bring back one of Guendouzi/Willock/AMN and you've got a pretty decent and balanced midfield that's very versatile, too:

Sabitzer, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Pepe, DaSilva/Mangala, Partey, Xhaka, Guendouzi/AMN/Willock

Gunner-Union

Ness a few players In different positions tbh yet again. I’d really like kalvin Phillips in place of xhaka I’ve been impressed with him tbh foot tackler physical gets around but can pass too. Need a back up lb, a rb,am and I’d like to replace laca

truth_hurts

Ness a few players In different positions tbh yet again. I’d really like kalvin Phillips in place of xhaka I’ve been impressed with him tbh foot tackler physical gets around but can pass too. Need a back up lb, a rb,am and I’d like to replace laca

Guendouzi >>> Phillips.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Agree with almost all of this.

I guess Grealish truly is out of Arsenal's reach, so I'd still be all over Marcel Sabitzer. Fixes LW/RW/AM/CM, can play along all of the young attacking talent, can play as part of or in front of a double pivot in a 4231, can play in a midfield three in a 433, in central midfield or as an outside attacking mid in a 442 or 4222. Very much of a playmaker in a modern mold, can score goals, used to a pressing system, works hard defensively. Also would add structure and experience to the squad and give his best years to Arsenal. Thing is: Apparently he is thinking about moving on, but would he swap RB Leipzig + CL + Nagelsmann for Arsenal + no Europe at all + Arteta?

Then you add someone with the profile of Josh Da Silva or Orel Mangala as central midfielder, bring back one of Guendouzi/Willock/AMN and you've got a pretty decent and balanced midfield that's very versatile, too:

Sabitzer, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Pepe, DaSilva/Mangala, Partey, Xhaka, Guendouzi/AMN/Willock

Josh Da Silva as in the guy who was part of our youth academy?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If this is FM you set Tierney to mentor a young fullback and watch them become world class. Hope we find someone with high potential in the championship

Omar Richard or Lee Buchanan would be perfect.

Gunner-Union

Guendouzi >>> Phillips.

tbh i rate Phillips higher he's def better at defending and holding his position and he's at least as good with the ball and i don't think douzie will stay. i would like to see a douzie, partey midfield and no reason why phillips could not be in there as well especially if we go with a three, we will need rotations as half our team will be crocked

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Bit worried about the futures of Guendouzi and Saliba. Although the club may publicly say they have a future here it just feels like the dye is cast. Not that they're world class players right now or anything, but there's about 50-60m worth of talent between them. That's a lot of money for a club like us which we can't afford to waste.

We're not rich enough to be so inefficient. Forget about the Alexis/Özil/Ramsey contracts, forget about Gnabry etc, forget about giving Willian 200k a week, we have around 50m worth of young talent which we should be trying to find a way to work with instead of getting rid and spending 50m at least to replace.

Financial capacity is like physical ability. A club like City is a player naturally taller, faster and stronger than everyone else, gives them an advantage on the pitch. If they're smart and technical too then that's an unbeatable combination. Arsenal is not the very best athlete on the pitch, we have to be smarter than everyone else to be the best. We have to be Fabregas. Right now we're overhitting simple passes and taking sloppy first touches.

Who are the most obviously upgradable players in the first XI? I'd probably say Lacazette and Bellerin, so isn't that where our budget should be going? Or on a genuine elite talent like Grealish? Why spend time and money on a midfielder and centre-back when we have two perfectly usable ones with potential to develop into very good players.

Balboa

I think that the majority of funds should be invested in a 20-24 year old CF and CM who are capable of going into the first 11. The rest of the squad needs should be bargain deals.
--------------------------
#1 Priority -2nd GK - Arsenal cannot enter a season with Runarsson as 2nd choice. This should be an inexpensive, homegrown signing.

#2 Priority - CF - Arsenal need to look ahead and plan for the future. Their main expenditure should be on a youngish CF such as Alexander Isak, Darwin Nuñez, Donyell Malen, Rafael Leão (they should sell Lacazette and possibly Nketiah, try to keep Balogun)

#3 Priority - CM - A CM who is in the 20-24 year old age range who is ready to compete with Xhaka to partner Partey. I don't think Xhaka should be allowed to leave until another player is bedded in. 4th choice CM between AMN/Willock/Elneny depending on loans performances.

#4 Priority - CAM - Potentially Ødegaard extended loan or a similar level to that. A youngish player on loan or cheap who can compete with ESR and add squad depth. A Ryan Christie at Celtic last year of contract type deal might be good.

#5 Priority - 2nd choice LB - Hopefully a young inexpensive player or loan.
That's quite a lot of business that I think needs doing in the summer. So while I'd like to see them get a new RB in and do more at CM and CAM, I'm not sure it's that realistic.
They should let go
  1. Guendouzi
  2. Willian if he's movable
  3. Torreira
  4. Luiz
  5. Nketiah if they can get £15 millon
  6. Nelson
  7. Willock
  8. Bellerin if a decent bid comes in and AMN can be persuaded to be first choice RB
  9. Lacazette if they get a bid of £15 million +
  10. AMN if he doesn't win a place in midfield because he doesn't want to be a utility player,
  11. Elneny if AMN proves himself worthy of 4th choice CM/utility
  12. Aubameyang if someone wants to sign him
  13. Chambers - no idea what's happening with him but they should make a decision to keep or sell him
  14. Mavropanos - no idea what's happening with him but they should make a quick decision to keep, sell or loan him
  15. Saliba - no idea what's happening with him but they should make a quick decision to keep, sell or loan him

Bloodbather

Established Member

Bit worried about the futures of Guendouzi and Saliba. Although the club may publicly say they have a future here it just feels like the dye is cast. Not that they're world class players right now or anything, but there's about 50-60m worth of talent between them. That's a lot of money for a club like us which we can't afford to waste.

We're not rich enough to be so inefficient. Forget about the Alexis/Özil/Ramsey contracts, forget about Gnabry etc, forget about giving Willian 200k a week, we have around 50m worth of young talent which we should be trying to find a way to work with instead of getting rid and spending 50m at least to replace.

Financial capacity is like physical ability. A club like City is a player naturally taller, faster and stronger than everyone else, gives them an advantage on the pitch. If they're smart and technical too then that's an unbeatable combination. Arsenal is not the very best athlete on the pitch, we have to be smarter than everyone else to be the best. We have to be Fabregas. Right now we're overhitting simple passes and taking sloppy first touches.

Who are the most obviously upgradable players in the first XI? I'd probably say Lacazette and Bellerin, so isn't that where our budget should be going? Or on a genuine elite talent like Grealish? Why spend time and money on a midfielder and centre-back when we have two perfectly usable ones with potential to develop into very good players.

Agreed with regard to Saliba, but not with regard to Guendouzi. I'm less than convinced that he's more than someone who can do an okay job with us, and he's probably not worth the issues of attitude.

Alienating and losing Saliba would be an unforgivable, grave mistake, however.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Agreed with regard to Saliba, but not with regard to Guendouzi. I'm less than convinced that he's more than someone who can do an okay job with us, and he's probably not worth the issues of attitude.

Maybe the bridge is already burnt yeah, I just like him tbh, he's a mad b*stard with great hair and a winning mentality, as Brendan Rodgers would say: he's a great wee player with lots of character. Football needs player like that, i'd be prepared to suffer through his flaws to get the benefit of his strengths.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Yeah, from what I've heard Saliba has been rather outstanding in France. Guendouzi has been mostly doing well in a struggling and squad-wise unbalanced team, but he's far from a standout performer at Hertha. He might as well find himself sidelined somewhat since Hertha changed their manager back to Pal Dardai, who's relying far more on experience and defensive solidity, having in both his games fielded clearcut 6s Tousart and Ascacibar in his double pivot. Guendouzi started at 10 in Dardai's first game, but was already benched against Bayern. Let's see how this continues but imo this season Dardai will definitely rely more on Tousart, Ascacibar and January signing Sami Khedira in his central midfield.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, from what I've heard Saliba has been rather outstanding in France. Guendouzi has been mostly doing well in a struggling and squad-wise unbalanced team, but he's far from a standout performer at Hertha. He might as well find himself sidelined somewhat since Hertha changed their manager back to Pal Dardai, who's relying far more on experience and defensive solidity, having in both his games fielded clearcut 6s Tousart and Ascacibar in his double pivot. Guendouzi started at 10 in Dardai's first game, but was already benched against Bayern. Let's see how this continues but imo this season Dardai will definitely rely more on Tousart, Ascacibar and January signing Sami Khedira in his central midfield.

Khedira is still playing? :lol:

Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom