• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EL | Arsenal v FC BATE Borisov | Thursday 7th December 2017 | 20:05 GMT | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is my first match thread. Seeing as it's a match I am really looking forward to in terms of personnel, thought I'd preemptively make the thread.

We've won the group so there isn't much to play for. Wenger may want to use this opportunity to either give the young guns a run out (preferable), or to keep his 2nd stringers fit and ticking over (not preferable). Wilshere will probably start again, which I don't mind, he needs the football.

The lineup I want to see:

wuHoCNd.png

A relatively experienced trio of CBs with a mostly youthful side. I especially want to see that midfield with those wingbacks - all are relatively powerful athletes around 6 foot in height and all very good technicians too. DaSilva has had an excellent season so far and deserves a start, and Sheaf has been solid since returning from injury (albeit at CB). Maitland-Niles IMO should have an audition for the CM spot as I feel it's there for the taking, while Willock has become more comfortable at U23 level over the last few weeks and it will be good to see how that impacts his first team performances.

It's also time for Nketiah and Nelson to get the nod in the forward positions. Giroud and Walcott have toiled so far and I'd like to see some fresh blood in those positions just to see how they do when given a proper first team opportunity. With Wilshere there with them, the technical security should still be prevalent. This is the lineup we deserve to see after all the other boring lineups that Wenger played in the EL, as much as I give him credit for playing some of the youngsters in the first place.

------------------------------------

The lineup I think we'll see will not be as exciting as the one above:

hHBsyMd.png

I expect this same **** lineup that Wenger's been giving us in the competition and I hope he doesn't play it again as we don't need to see it.

Still, I'm greatly looking forward to this game in the hope that Wenger does the right thing and gives the young players a proper audition on Thursday. I really want to see what a midfield of AMN-Willock is capable of in Europe, and I want to see DaSilva finally given an opportunity given how good he's been of late, same with Sheaf. We know what Coquelin/Elneny can do already and it isn't much. Give AMN and Willock a proper shot.

I also want to see Nelson given free reign to see how he will fare. Whether he labors or excels, it's time we saw it for the first team now.

#IHopeWeWin

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I think Wenger will play the 2nd lineup because he'll want to keep Giroud, Elneny, Coquelin etc. sharp heading into a busy period of 7 PL games and 1 CC tie in 24 days.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think Wenger will play the 2nd lineup because he'll want to keep Giroud, Elneny, Coquelin etc. sharp heading into a busy period of 7 PL games and 1 CC tie in 24 days.
I'd imagine so.

If I were to be honest about my personal opinion, I honestly think he'd be better off giving those spots to the younger players rather than trying to get these guys fit knowing they're probably going to underperform anyway. Giroud is probably the exception to the other players simply because of his willpower but we saw how ineffective he was yesterday when he came on. The ball just bounced off him. This is what Giroud is like for half a season cumulatively, then he starts slapping them away and everyone forgets that sometimes he can be completely terrible.

My (irrational) hope is that he plays the first lineup and they play so well that guys like Maitland-Niles, DaSilva or Willock can easily edge out guys like Coquelin and Elneny and get the rotational games instead. Nketiah or Nelson instead of Walcott or Welbeck. I don't mind Debuchy as he's been decent since he came back from injury.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
My (irrational) hope is that he plays the first lineup and they play so well that guys like Maitland-Niles, DaSilva or Willock can easily edge out guys like Coquelin and Elneny and get the rotational games instead. Nketiah or Nelson instead of Walcott or Welbeck. I don't mind Debuchy as he's been decent since he came back from injury.
Yeah, the main reason I was hoping the group would be wrapped up by the last 1 or 2 games was so that Wenger would have the luxury of playing a young team like the one you posted.
Insert poll and churlish comment from American Gooner.
Was going to have a yes or no poll for "would you accept a loss if it meant BATE took Rich back to Belarus with them" but I didn't want to ruin Mutable's thread.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Welbeck will play ahead of Walcott, Theo wasn't even on the bench yesterday.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I'd like to see Chambers in the starting 11, though preferably at CB instead of wingback (not sure why he was given the latter role last time). Debuchy should play wingback, I'd like for him to get minutes there so that we have an adequate replacement for Bellerin if needed.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'd like to see Chambers in the starting 11, though preferably at CB instead of wingback (not sure why he was given the latter role last time). Debuchy should play wingback, I'd like for him to get minutes there so that we have an adequate replacement for Bellerin if needed.
Chambers is a good shout, and I agree - if he's gonna play, should be at CB. I'd still like Sheaf to get a tryout though, he's been really good since his return from injury. He might even be better than Bielik (he doesn't return until later this month).

Aevi

Hale End FC
Chambers is a good shout, and I agree - if he's gonna play, should be at CB. I'd still like Sheaf to get a tryout though, he's been really good since his return from injury. He might even be better than Bielik (he doesn't return until later this month).
I'd like to see Sheaf play too, I actually didn't see him in your preferred starting 11 at first and was about to make a comment on that. I'm not sure where he'd fit in though, since Holding and Chambers currently have priority in development. He could maybe take Per's place, but that'd leave us with a risky backline that lacks guidance and experience.

Hopefully he makes at least a sub appearance, I quite like him.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Zero point playing Walcott to keep him fit, he has no role here. Spose Giroud should get minutes.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Yeah, the main reason I was hoping the group would be wrapped up by the last 1 or 2 games was so that Wenger would have the luxury of playing a young team like the one you posted.

Was going to have a yes or no poll for "would you accept a loss if it meant BATE took Rich back to Belarus with them" but I didn't want to ruin Mutable's thread.
Would happily go and forget Arsenal forever.

tcahill

-------------------Giroud
-----------Nelson-Wilshere
Dasilva-Willock-AMN-Debuchy
-------Holding-Per-Chambers

Holding and Chambers need minutes at CB if they're ever going to fulfill their potential. Giroud and Wilshere need to be kept sharp. Debuchy is needed as a backup to Bellerin, if Chambers can play RWB so can he. I don't want to see Coq or Elneny. Willock and AMN have shown they can cope at this level before.

I'm only interested in seeing how the younger lads play.

Last edited:

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
We have a busy period coming up, two matches per week. I think it will make it interesting if Wenger does pay some others so that we can see what they can do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom