• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Premier League 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
DJ_Markstar said:
Doubt Mourinho could get top 4 each season spending less than £1m. If you have enddless cash, though, there is no one better to spend it than Mourinho.

Not sure about that, he's wasted a lot of money at all of his clubs on mediocre players. He broke our transfer record dozens of times for players like Paulo Ferreira, Carvalho, or Shaun ****ing Wright-Phillips, and bought dozens of other failed 10m+ players like Boulahrouz, Tiago, del Horno, Muntari, Mancini and others. He uses a classic shotgun approach, if you throw enough money at everything some of it is bound to stick.

Stillmatic

I'm glad Holloway is back but I miss Mick McCarthy, I even miss that idiot Dalglish because he was always so paranoid in post match interviews. :lol: I'm not so pleased to see Mourinho lol...

blaze_of_glory

kopzilla said:
He very haughtily predicted that Sp**s would finish above us and we'll miss out on CL.

One of the many Arsenal haters who were proved wrong.. :D

Fixed your little mistake there :wink:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
jones said:
DJ_Markstar said:
Doubt Mourinho could get top 4 each season spending less than £1m. If you have enddless cash, though, there is no one better to spend it than Mourinho.

Not sure about that, he's wasted a lot of money at all of his clubs on mediocre players. He broke our transfer record dozens of times for players like Paulo Ferreira, Carvalho, or Shaun ******* Wright-Phillips, and bought dozens of other failed 10m+ players like Boulahrouz, Tiago, del Horno, Muntari, Mancini and others. He uses a classic shotgun approach, if you throw enough money at everything some of it is bound to stick.

No one said he was flawless in the transfer market, but his success on the football pitch speaks for itself.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I didn't say that you said he's flawless, did I? :p

And yes, his success on the pitch is obvious, all I'm saying is that the notion that he's best at spending large amounts of cash is a bit misleading looking at the number of flops he bought, especially since there aren't too many managers around that spent similar amounts, hard to say who's responsible for a lot of transfers as well. I'd throw in Ancelotti, got a number of good players at PSG, Chelsea and Milan in the past for big money.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Non impact in Europe, politics and giving up the league very softly like they did this season means Mourinhos time at Real will be considered a failure.

Failed at handling the big personalities too which lead to the players showing little or no fight in some of their games this season.
The Real fans were happy to see him leave, says it all.

Problems will arise at Chelsea, especially as Romans man on the ground, Michael Emenalo, retains his position.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Since his 3rd place finish with some random Portuguese team at the start of his career (before he went to Porto), Mourinho has finished either 1st or 2nd in every season.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Stillmatic said:
I'm glad Holloway is back but I miss Mick McCarthy, I even miss that idiot Dalglish because he was always so paranoid in post match interviews. :lol: I'm not so pleased to see Mourinho lol...

Yeah Dalglish used to take like a member of RAWK. A journalist would ask him a question and he'd be like "What? what are you trying to imply?", if he lasted longer he'd be pulling out Rafa's fachts

GDeep™

League is very weak
AFC-Phil said:
Three consecutive semi finals in the Champions League is not a 'non-impact in Europe.'

A club with the European expectations of Real, and a Mourinho appointment driven by the aim for a European Cup, I think 3 semi finals, 2 of which where Real were beaten handily, comes under "non impact".

THunter said:
Since his 3rd place finish with some random Portuguese team at the start of his career (before he went to Porto), Mourinho has finished either 1st or 2nd in every season.

Look who he's managed though? The most poweful team in Portugal, a Billionaire driven Chelsea, a Champion Inter team from the Mancini day's and Real Madrid. Top 2 is more or less set in stone with the circumstances in which Jose got these jobs.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
GDeep said:
AFC-Phil said:
Three consecutive semi finals in the Champions League is not a 'non-impact in Europe.'

A club with the European expectations of Real, and a Mourinho appointment driven by the aim for a European Cup, I think 3 semi finals, 2 of which where Real were beaten handily, comes under "non impact".

Need I remind you that Madrid pre-Mourinho were last in a semi final in 02/03. Not to mention that they only reached the round of 16 in the six seasons prior to his arrival. He broke that curse which saw them lose against Juve (04/05), us (05/06), Bayern (06/07), Roma (07/08), L'pool (08/09) and Lyon (09/10) in the first knock-out round.

Call it what you want, but being beaten by a brilliant Barca, losing on pens vs Bayern and missing a million chances against Dortmund before losing narrowly says more about the fine margins at that level than anything else and is far from a 'non impact' or a stick to beat Mourinho for that matter.

All that said, I don't view his reign at Madrid as a failure at all.

Cruisio

Established Member
Oh come on!

A team of -

Casillas
Arbeloa
Ramos
Varane/Pepe
Marcelo/Coentrao
Alonso
Khedera
Modric
Özil
Ronaldo
Benzema
Angel di Maria
Higuain

Should be doing better than one league title and a Copa del Rey. Like I said, a great manager, but let's not pretend he succeeded in doing what he set out to do at Madrid

evoh_1

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:

Who gives a sh't that isn't his manadate is it?

He won the Champs League with porto, Wenger still hasn't won any of his European finals. So we can laud what Wenger has done but there will be no trophy for it, perhaps he has secured out long term future doing what he has but how can we judge that?

Mourinho has been a success and will be so again in chelsea as he fits there, anything else said about him not doing enough at madrid is a joke as thye have had so many managers over so many years getting nowhere.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
You're not really arguing anything here. Just mindlessly listing players and saying - should do better.

I'm not going to waste my time listing the better Barca team they had to compete with. Anyway, Mourinho did exactly what he was brought in for - to end Barca's dominance. Towards the end, Mourinho was getting the better of them and comfortably in the Classicos. Beating them in the Copa final (Which Madrid hadn't won for a while), beating them in the Super Copa, running away with La Liga in a record breaking fashion and getting to another Copa final (Which Madrid only lost by a freak result) were a lot better than the 0 trophies Madrid got during the only non-Mourinho year of Barca's side (08/09). One freak result aside, Mourinho won a major domestic trophy every season out of the two and reached the last four in Europe without failure. He also oversaw a transitional period in Madrid with the captain Raul and vice captain Guti leaving as he walked through the door. I haven't even mentioned the work he did in getting younger players like Varane and Marcelo to hit high levels.

I genuinely think it's madness for anyone to seriously claim that his time there was a failure. I'd say he succeeded somewhat and was very unfortunate not to get to a European Cup final. Perez wasn't far off when he described Mourinho's time as Madrid as a 'B+' IMO.

Edit - Just realised this is the PL thread. Let's move this Mourinho discussion to the Spanish football thread.

Cruisio

Established Member
Firstly, he wasn't the one to break Barca's dominance, if he had we would be able to point out to more than just the one year. In that sense he did no better than Capello who after the longest trophy drought in Madrid's history to that point ended up winning the league against an arguably better Barca team than they have now with a worse Madrid team than Mourinho had

Mourinho was brought in to win the Champions League, that's what the remit was when he joined. To not even reach a final in that time given his past record and the squad he had and the amount of money spent to assemble that squad, was a failure. Yes he won stuff there, but a team like Madrid are expected to win trophies every year under pretty much any manager they bring in, Mourinho was supposed to take them to that next level, he didn't

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Had in interesting discussion with a few other football fans yesterday about Allardyce.

Allardyce often gets criticized for his playstyle (and sometimes there's a reason for it), but is it really because that all he can do or rather a way to get the best out of his squad's limited ability?

We actually ended up agreeing that the ideal Allardyce team, the type of football he would probably strive to play given the resources, is very similar to Bayern Munich of the past seasons.

If we take a look at our setup this season and compare it, it's actually striking just how similar the type of players he employ are, although they're obviously a far cry from the quality of the Bayern players. I won't include the defense since that's not really a huge part of the setup except for the FBs, and while our FBs do support the attack they're ****ing **** and a non-factor:

------------------------Mandzukic (Carroll)

Ribery (Jarvis) ------- Muller (Nolan) ------- Robben (Vaz Te)

-----------Schweinsteiger (Noble) - Martinez (Diamé)

Again, the quality is obviously not the same, but the type of players are very similar. Bayern also focus a lot of their play down the wings.

I honestly believe BFS is capable of playing much better football than his fairly undeserved stigma would lead you to believe. I've seen it for myself this season when we outplayed Liverpool, Chelsea and others at home and it was a joy to behold. Our away form was ridiculous though, awful football all around.

leo_ense

Established Member
What? I'm sure you can make comparisons from player profiles between loads of teams. Even if the physical nature of the players is the same the system is fundamentally different. Bayern are adept at all aspects of the game, whereas Sam's teams struggle with the technical aspect.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
Martinez - Diame :lol: ? Robben - Vaz Te? With some effort I can see the vague similarities in the rest. Although Ribery is more direct on the ball that Jarvis who seems contented to repeat the same bloody left foot, right foot etc... trick everytime he gets into the final third.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
leo_ense said:
What? I'm sure you can make comparisons from player profiles between loads of teams. Even if the physical nature of the players is the same the system is fundamentally different. Bayern are adept at all aspects of the game, whereas Sam's teams struggle with the technical aspect.

But even the setup and playing style is similar to ours, that's why I'm making the comparison.

And of course Bayern are adept at all aspects of the game - that's what money gets you. You can only do so much with what we've got, and we don't have a single player capable of even getting into the starting XI of Dortmund. You can only work with what you've got.

AFC-Phil said:
Martinez - Diame :lol: ? Robben - Vaz Te? With some effort I can see the vague similarities in the rest. Although Ribery is more direct on the ball that Jarvis who seems contented to repeat the same bloody left foot, right foot etc... trick everytime he gets into the final third.

The Martinez - Diamé comparison is admittedly the weakest, but it's obvious BFS wants a player like him. We tried it with Diarra this season but he flopped spectacularly.

The Robben - Vaz Te comparison was basically meant as an inside forward deployed on one of the wings, similar to Robben at Bayern. Again, Vaz Te is ****ing **** and would barely get into any other side in the Prem but it's obvious that Sam WANTS an inside forward on the right, even going as far as deploying Matty Taylor on the RW several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom