• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Arsenal v Southampton | 10th of September at 15:00 (GMT)

Outcome of Match?

• Win

Votes: 112 86.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Loss

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotAUserName

This is going to be a really stressful season.

I hope to the most high that this is just a slow start. We look so ****e and while we can occasionally sort out our midfield we're hopeless in the final third.

Also not sure we'll be seeing Xhaka and Cazorla together on the pitch unless we switch to a three man midfield which is a shame – they're both quality.

Mustafi was good too.
I'd personally go with 4-3-3 against PSG with Elneny also in the side. Özil can play on the right (with freedom, like how Messi plays for Barca) since Elneny has the energy to also cover defensively for Bellerin. Sanchez and Perez will also start.

We need to start trying to get the best out of the team rather than insisting Özil play centrally.

say yes

forum master baiter
Ox's final ball is erratic to say the least but I would hate to defend against him, got so much in his locker. Hope we drop Walcott, he's a terrible footballer. Offers nothing.

Really encouraging debut from Mustafi, Perez was quiet but definitely some glimpses of ability there. He's going to need to adjust to the physicality of the league but then again those are hardly the easiest CBs to come up against on your debut.

Bellerin is turning into a monster. Won't be long before Barca come calling.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Barce showing the impact of new signings, a few changes & the international break as well! Halftime 1-0 down at home to promoted Alaves.

Chami

Surprise Surprise, the international break make us look like **** again. Plus the fact that the big CL game vs PSG is in 4 days and in every players mind.
Annoyed by our apparant lack of fitness / motivation but not surprised

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
This squad is far better than what we saw today. There's something wrong on a coaching and managerial level. The team looked lost.

@fabo was saying something similar during the game and I think you both have a point.

These are a talented bunch of players who are looking very much average. It has to be the system/setup. We've seen what a good system can do with Pep at Citeh, he's made Sterling look a more complete player and is well and truly getting the best out of De Bruyne and Aguero, City's most talented players.

Think we should try a 4-3-3. We'll have better control on a game and look more solid. Drop Özil a few yards deeper into a CM role but give him the licence to roam, much like De Bruyne does under Pep.

It's all a bit stale atm.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
The players are being let down by the manager. Once again a performance where there was no plan and no urgency. Players were floating around the pitch half interested and playing safe, sideways passes. If you don't think the manager is mostly responsible for that, then you're a lost cause.

Everyone bar Cazorla and Koscielny was dreadful.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Ox's final ball is erratic to say the least but I would hate to defend against him, got so much in his locker.
I don't know man, after a couple minutes in a game you can mostly see what you'll get from Ox in a game. It's like an attacker who will try to skin his defender in the first minutes, to have him walking backwards for the rest of the game. Manhandle Ox from the beginning and he looks rattled for the rest of the game.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Very labored performance. If ever there was a game that showcases our complete lack of structure attacking and defending being bailed out by talent (well, luck aswell in this game), it's a game like this. Poor build-up, poor structure, poor attacking shape - bailed out by superior talent.

We saw all the flaws in a Coq-Caz combo that most of us thought could win the league. Cazorla played well and Coquelin had a very mixed game. Take it how you want, but Coquelin is bad for the team offensively. He does great work defensively, and he actually did have some neat moments on the ball, but his positioning in this game as well as his overall choice of pass were an example as to why we needed to sign Xhaka.

I thought our defense was actually the most impressive aspect of our team play. Mustafi had a good game, Bellerin had a surprisingly dominant defensive display, Kos was imperious and Monreal had a very solid game IMO.

Attack was a problem. Because our build-up was so slow and focused on the flanks, Walcott never got any meaningful touches and Ox wasted most of his. Perez never had a chance to get into this game.

Also must be mentioned that this was Özil's worst game in a very long time. Additionally, Giroud has only played 30 mins this season and he's already annoying me.

carlito'sway

Established Member
The players are being let down by the manager. Once again a performance where there was no plan and no urgency. Players were floating around the pitch half interested and playing safe, sideways passes. If you don't think the manager is mostly responsible for that, then you're a lost cause.

Everyone bar Cazorla and Koscielny was dreadful.

That is pretty easy to point the finger at the manager but would love to understand what a manager has to do with a player, Ox for instance, who not once but twice overhit his cross by a good 15 feet? Or when one miss easy passes and touches? Mesut Özil himself was the culprit today in more than one occasion. But hey, the " it is the managers fault" always fit well in one's agenda.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah think Mustafi performance has gone under the radar tbh.

24 year old CB into a new team he's trained with a couple of times in a new league and looked the part.

Whole team performance was a bit disjointed and he had a couple of wild passes but otherwise got stuck in win headers and tackles.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think people are going a tad overboard with the poor performance. It wasn't great but we had two debutants and it was a heavily rotated side with Ox/Theo in wide positions.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I felt bad for the Saints and how they came away with nothing after having created good chances, but I just remembered their goal and how fluky it was. It kind of equals out it my book, so the win feels more fair.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I felt bad for the Saints and how they came away with nothing after having created good chances, but I just remembered their goal and how fluky it was. It kind of equals out it my book, so the win feels more fair.

Nah time wasting from the off, loved hoe we grabbed the three points right when they thought they had got a draw.

carlito'sway

Established Member

Last year, when they beat us, I remember well Long clipping Kos on his way to their second goal. Also remember their gamemanship when they tied us at home.....I don't feel sorry a bit for them.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Ox's technique is actually very good. His problem is all mental and that's why I don't think he'll succeed under Wenger.

That's what his Dad says but that's my whole point. If its a mental problem or a confidence problem he should have used a sports psychologist to help over come it, he probably has tried. He wont succeed under Wenger and he wont succeed under any other manager because he's not good enough.

carlito'sway

Established Member
That's what his Dad says but that's my whole point. If its a mental problem or a confidence problem he should have used a sports psychologist to help over come it, he probably has tried. He wont succeed under Wenger and he wont succeed under any other manager because he's not good enough.

Seriously, we need to stop looking for excuses for players who are just not good enough. Ox has been at AFC for 5 seasons now and has been a disappointment. The guy flatters to deceive. He is sometimes showing flashes but he is generally average to mediocre. We need to accept that sometimes a player is just not good, cut our losses and move on. On top of my head, I can list dozen of similar players.....

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Chuffed with three points but I'm concerned about this constant trend we've become accustomed to. No motivation in this team. Takes them 50 minutes to realise they're playing

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Seriously, we need to stop looking for excuses for players who are just not good enough. Ox has been at AFC for 5 seasons now and has been a disappointment. The guy flatters to deceive. He is sometimes showing flashes but he is generally average to mediocre. We need to accept that sometimes a player is just not good, cut our losses and move on. On top of my head, I can list dozen of similar players.....

Not sure about a dozen but Ox, Gibbs & Sanogo are a start. Walcott & Welbeck can go on the list at the end of the season if they fail this season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom