• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Éric Abidal

siddharth

lee1001 said:
.Use your head. Clichy has been one of the plus points of our season. He has imporved at an astonishing rate.

Why in the world would Wenger want Abidal?
Abidal can also play in central defence and he's a solid defender. Would be a quality addition to our squad.

longrufus

Established Member
Yea but he isnt going to push his way in front of Gallas and Toure, Djourou has all the talent in the world and Senderos is a more than able 4th choice. He isnt going to be a starter if he comes here, which is the simple reason i cant see Wenger spending upwards of 8m on a luxury player.

siddharth

I said abidal can also play in central defence .If abidal comes in he's going to be our first choice left back. It's simple. We talk about clichy being very good offensively but it's hardly been the case this season. Abidal or a player like him becomes important if wenger is planning to get in someone like ribery on the wings. Abidal is a lot better defensively than clichy.

I like senderos but wenger's recent treatment of him is not encouraging. If senderos is dropped just because he let drogba score an amazing goal then i would be very disappointed.

asajoseph

Established Member
We talk about clichy being very good offensively but it's hardly been the case this season.

Er, what?!?

Anyway, Abidal would solve very few of our problems, if you ask me. He's not the player we need, and he's not even that good.

Jameel46

Established Member
yeah, Abidal is very over-rated, if that domenech had any sense in him he would realise that Evra and Clichy are much better than Abidal.

p.s. i can't believe someone said Clichy hasn't been good offensively this season

longrufus

Established Member
siddharth said:
I said abidal can also play in central defence .If abidal comes in he's going to be our first choice left back. It's simple. We talk about clichy being very good offensively but it's hardly been the case this season. Abidal or a player like him becomes important if wenger is planning to get in someone like ribery on the wings. Abidal is a lot better defensively than clichy.

I like senderos but wenger's recent treatment of him is not encouraging. If senderos is dropped just because he let drogba score an amazing goal then i would be very disappointed.

Yea he can play both LB and CB, what difference does this really make when he is not good enough to make the starting line up. £10m on a squad player, not while Wenger is at Arsenal.

Clichy has been immense this season, has been great both offensively and defensively consistantly. Unless you forget the United game, when Ronaldo, the in form wide man in football couldn't get a kick? His absence is one of the contributing factors to why we have looked so lackluster in attack. We miss the width and link up play both he and Eboue give us.

If you really want a player who can play both CB and LB i'd much rather we look at Heinze, who would cost less and is a far superior player.

Philo Bedo

Buying a defender is not a priority, or at least it shouldn't be. The money should be spent strengthening the areas where we seem to be weakest.

gunnerGH

Established Member
- Åñð®éw - said:
why do we sign any big name players?...this would boost fans confidence and happiness.??... the last big name wich we signed was Campbell.

This is why I take time to read the forums :D

Clarkey

People are talking about fees, but isn't Abidal available this Summer on a freebie. Not sure Abidal would like, but as a utility defender, he wouldn't be a bad one to have in my opinion. Not that i think we should be signing, it could be the thinking beyond agent talk.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
As I already wrote in Dani Alves thread, Abidal has, apperently, already signed for Barcelona. Source is Spanish TV3.

M+D

Established Member
Agent admits Barcelona interest for Abidal

The agent of Olympique Lyon defender Eric Abidal expects to name the Frenchman's next port-of-call in "15-20 days".
Oscar Damiani said: "We have already decided that the player will leave France, that is for certain. But we haven't decided where he will go.

"I suppose, at a maximum, in 15-20 days we will be able to name the club he will be joining."

Asked about Barcelona's interest, Damiani added: "Barcelona haven't made a concrete offer, but we know they are keen on Eric for next season."

Hope whichever club he's going to, it isn't us, unless he's going to be cheap (very unlikely) and is going to accept being a second choice to Clichy (even more unlikely).

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Eric Abidal

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7419566/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7419566/</a>

Fairly speculative but I suppose Sky Sports are slightly more credible than CaughtOffside or the Daily Mail.

kenkbc2

Re: Eric Abidal

Not too bad option to have, I guess. Just wondering how much wages he's currently on, because that could be a stumbling block.

Other than that, his experience of having played in a multiple title winning team could come in handy.

A one year contract wouldn't do us much harm, considering the amount of time Gibbs will be spending in our physio room.

In saying that, I do realize that there are much better options out there, but...

1. its January and mid-season, not too many teams would be willing to sell

2. they would simply be beyond our price range (i.e what we would be willing to pay)..

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Really smart player , we could really benefit from his experience .

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd massively be in favour of this. The left footed Sagna. Haven't seen much of him this year but last Jan/Feb time he was playing incredible. Don't see why he'd leave Barca now for us though.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom