• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ethan Nwaneri: Se Queda

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don’t even think he played U21 football before his debut. It was clearly a business decision. Maybe that’s why his people felt they want to leave, didn’t like how their kid was used for future compensation and had to hear Arteta talk about how he saw something special and had to do it
Nah he already played for the u21s and had an assist in his first game. It was already easy for him. You're right though, it was business as much as it was him being talented. Because we hadn't done this for other talents but he was one of the only ones on the brink of leaving.

We want players here who are committed to Arsenal.

Nwaneri will regret this decision, his loss not ours. There will be a chance for someone else
Bless Akolbire
Chido Obi
Ayden Heaven

Seems like the likely trio. Think Obi is still a schoolboy next year aswell. Heaven already looks decent.

Myles is indeed a certy balla, but I would have loved to have kept Nwaneri as well. Imagine the three supreme Hale Enders; Saka, Lewis Skelly and Nwaneri in a few years.
Would have loved it too, although a lot can happen in a few years. Lewis-Skelly for me personally is a potential superstar. He's very raw but what he's able to do at his age is massive. Capable passer between the lines, competitive ball winner but his dribbling capability is monstrous. Tight space, open space, just cuts through midfield.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Not sure going to man city will make difference he'll spend it on loan and sell for profit.

At least here there mini chance he get 1st team football if he keep developing.

DasBootist

Not sure going to man city will make difference he'll spend it on loan and sell for profit.

At least here there mini chance he get 1st team football if he keep developing.
He is potentially good enough to be a starter for Man City. He clearly believes it as well.

Such a shame

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
He is potentially good enough to be a starter for Man City. He clearly believes it as well.

Such a shame
So he believes he is potentially good enough to be a starter at Man City but not here🙄😂.

He's gone for the 🌽.

Look in a way spose you can't blame him.
If Abu Dhabi have offered his family a lucrative sleeping 'business opportunity' tax free in the Middle East.

It's tough to compete. These clubs can pretty much do what they want to scoop up talent.

Saudi FC will be at it as well pretty soon no doubt.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Of course he's going 4 the money. I never disputed that. He can still believe he will succeed long term @ Man City.

And I believe I'm winning the lottery this week. Both things aren't happening. Salah and KDB couldn't get chances at ChelSCUM and this kid is getting chances as Money **** Land?

If he had true self belief he'd be joining a lower level German or French club. And then he could propell himself to be a starter at a top6 club in 3-4 years time with 200k++ wages. His best bet now is 30k a week wages at Southampton in 3 years time.

DasBootist

And I believe I'm winning the lottery this week. Both things aren't happening. Salah and KDB couldn't get chances at ChelSCUM and this kid is getting chances as Money **** Land?

If he had true self belief he'd be joining a lower level German or French club. And then he could propell himself to be a starter at a top6 club in 3-4 years time with 200k++ wages. His best bet now is 30k a week wages at Southampton in 3 years time.
Lol why u comparing this situation 2 Mourinho mugging Chelsea of 2 world class players?

Also, u winning the lottery is a 14,000,000-1 probability. U give same odds 4 Nwaneri making it @ City and I'll put a pound on that bet

Bucephalus

Fair points👍.

Let me reiterate have nothing against those leaving for better opportunities if their path is blocked here.👍

I have no problem with any kid looking at his options & making the best decision.

The thing with going at such a young age ( barely 16) in this instance is that you know likely it's just money.

It shows a total lack of loyalty.

Back in the day kids were grateful to be offered a pro contract with their boyhood club.

You sign Ur 1st pro contract here & then look at the next one in 3 years when you still haven't reached bloody 20.

Why would you uproot Ur family to Manchester when you have no more chance of breaking through at City than here🧐?

Only 1 possible answer💰💰💰💰💰💰.

City or Us can/likely will keep him around for a while then loan him out.

Ask Ode if he made the right decision going to Real at 16?

The difference was he needed to leave Norway to further develop.

Ethan doesn't need to leave Arsenal.

We can at the moment offer him pretty much the same path as City or any other big club in the Country.

I totally get the Patino situation. He is older, wants to play regular 1st team football & doesn't fancy another loan.

He isn't good enough to play regularly here.

If Charlie is as good as his word he will likely go to a smaller club now to play?

I'm not buying the same thing with Ethan.

The move imho has very little to do with football development.

Perhaps to stop this thing happening parent clubs should have 1st option on all youth players until 18?

Tbf tho at the moment the Ethan situation is likely the exception rather than the rule.
I agree with most of this. But it does have to be hard advising a young footballer what is the best thing to do.

1. Cash in now, or gamble your floor versus your ceiling? Nwaneri certainly has talent, but he's still very young, not already obviously a physical specimen against fully grown men, and who knows yet if it's prodigious talent that will stand up for ever, or if it will even out a bit once all the u18s fill out into adult size bodies. This might be his one chance at a contract most teenagers would regard as life changing.

2. Position has to matter. Goalkeepers are never changed. CBs rarely are. Most common substitute has to be throwing in a new striker for the last 10-15 minutes. Other positions somewhere in between. Easy for Arteta to promise Nketiah that, worst case scenario, he's getting the last 10-15 of every game. Harder to promise minutes to a youngster the further back on the pitch you play. (Doesn't explain City, but does explain why he might want to leave).

3. Positional flexibility matters. Saka seized the opportunity with both hands, but despite being an out-and-out winger, he was willing to come on as left wing back. It was good. It got him on the pitch. And it meant that most of his first attempts at dribbling past a PL player as a 17-year-old were against midfielders covering an overlap, not lockdown defenders. By contrast (I don't know if it's true, but it was always strongly rumored) AMN insisted he was a AM, not a right back. I have no idea where Nwaneri falls on the Saka-AMN spectrum; if I knew, it would influence the advice I'd give him.

4. Patino. I'll miss him. Best teenage technical talent since Cesc. But Cesc had Viera marauding behind him, and the game has moved on anyway. I want Patino, but it probably doesn't make sense for him, either. We can't get him where he's supposed to be. (Just watch him end up being the DeBruyne replacement in a few years. Or playing Championship football still. Or being a financial advisor once he finishes up his University studies. Who knows).

Anyway, I wouldn't advise Nwaneri to sign with City. But I'm glad it's not my job to give these players advice either way.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I agree with most of this. But it does have to be hard advising a young footballer what is the best thing to do.

1. Cash in now, or gamble your floor versus your ceiling? Nwaneri certainly has talent, but he's still very young, not already obviously a physical specimen against fully grown men, and who knows yet if it's prodigious talent that will stand up for ever, or if it will even out a bit once all the u18s fill out into adult size bodies. This might be his one chance at a contract most teenagers would regard as life changing.

2. Position has to matter. Goalkeepers are never changed. CBs rarely are. Most common substitute has to be throwing in a new striker for the last 10-15 minutes. Other positions somewhere in between. Easy for Arteta to promise Nketiah that, worst case scenario, he's getting the last 10-15 of every game. Harder to promise minutes to a youngster the further back on the pitch you play. (Doesn't explain City, but does explain why he might want to leave).

3. Positional flexibility matters. Saka seized the opportunity with both hands, but despite being an out-and-out winger, he was willing to come on as left wing back. It was good. It got him on the pitch. And it meant that most of his first attempts at dribbling past a PL player as a 17-year-old were against midfielders covering an overlap, not lockdown defenders. By contrast (I don't know if it's true, but it was always strongly rumored) AMN insisted he was a AM, not a right back. I have no idea where Nwaneri falls on the Saka-AMN spectrum; if I knew, it would influence the advice I'd give him.

4. Patino. I'll miss him. Best teenage technical talent since Cesc. But Cesc had Viera marauding behind him, and the game has moved on anyway. I want Patino, but it probably doesn't make sense for him, either. We can't get him where he's supposed to be. (Just watch him end up being the DeBruyne replacement in a few years. Or playing Championship football still. Or being a financial advisor once he finishes up his University studies. Who knows).

Anyway, I wouldn't advise Nwaneri to sign with City. But I'm glad it's not my job to give these players advice either way.
It’s funny today we hear about a 16 year old we nicked from Aston Villa that has been released by League 1 side and 10 years ago he was the biggest talent in villas academy. We nicked him offering him better deal, but never pushed on and at 26 is looking for new club

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant

Very good take👍.
Excellent Post.
It's hard to see young talent leaving but I totally get why it happens.

I think it's too early to say when Nwaneri will end up positionally. I haven't seen enough of him tbh but he looks like he could play/adapt to a number of roles.
I think good modern young footballers should be able to play in different areas.

I agree though you don't wanna end up in the AMN situation.

I can really only see Patino being an '8' in the current Arsenal system. He's still young & needs to develop. At the moment though Ngl he looks a long way off .
His next move will be interesting.

Has wonderful talent, so like to think he will play regular prem football in the future.
However not sure if he will certainly at a top club for a few years?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Lol why u comparing this situation 2 Mourinho mugging Chelsea of 2 world class players?

Also, u winning the lottery is a 14,000,000-1 probability. U give same odds 4 Nwaneri making it @ City and I'll put a pound on that bet
I reckon I have a bit better odds tbh. No chance he breaks through even if he is good enough

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It’s funny today we hear about a 16 year old we nicked from Aston Villa that has been released by League 1 side and 10 years ago he was the biggest talent in villas academy. We nicked him offering him better deal, but never pushed on and at 26 is looking for new club
People absolutely loved Dan Crowley. I didn't think he was quite as good as others did but I thought highly enough of him that I thought he was talented and had a shot. He was like a Ben Cottrell. Scrappy but technical. Had a bit of flair but not much substance in the end. A very good punt at the time that didn't quite pay off. Remember the first couple seasons we all thought he was super promising.

I really wish we were able to nab Chukwuemeka but he might be in danger of ending up in the abyss too, all because he made that silly move to Chelsea! Penny for Hutchinsons thoughts too - I hope he at least got paid nice 🙏🏾

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

People absolutely loved Dan Crowley. I didn't think he was quite as good as others did but I thought highly enough of him that I thought he was talented and had a shot. He was like a Ben Cottrell. Scrappy but technical. Had a bit of flair but not much substance in the end. A very good punt at the time that didn't quite pay off. Remember the first couple seasons we all thought he was super promising.

I really wish we were able to nab Chukwuemeka but he might be in danger of ending up in the abyss too, all because he made that silly move to Chelsea! Penny for Hutchinsons thoughts too - I hope he at least got paid nice 🙏🏾
That’s exactly how these big clubs see youngsters. Punts, the more highly rated ones you get the more likely you will have one that makes it. Rest can go wherever they want afterwards no one cares. But Crowley would probably be better of staying at Villa where he was hugely rated rather than becoming just another youngster at Arsenal

Being in the right environment plays big role for youngsters. Who was that youngster Chelsea signed from Southampton who felt homesick after 6 months and asked Chelsea to release him back to Southampton?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That’s exactly how these big clubs see youngsters. Punts, the more highly rated ones you get the more likely you will have one that makes it. Rest can go wherever they want afterwards no one cares. But Crowley would probably be better of staying at Villa where he was hugely rated rather than becoming just another youngster at Arsenal

Being in the right environment plays big role for youngsters. Who was that youngster Chelsea signed from Southampton who felt homesick after 6 months and asked Chelsea to release him back to Southampton?
Ah Tyler Dibling, is a proper talent aswell.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Is that Dan Crowley? I thought he'd be a big deal at the time if so.

Tom Mix

I wish Arteta hadn;t thrust this loser into the limelight by giving him two minutes against a beaten Tottenham. It made his head swell up so much it could only fit into a bloated cesspit like City.

He really is nothing special. If he's very lucky he may play for Rochdale in a couple of years.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I thought he'd at least be PL level by now. Guys like Jeff are playing regular Ligue 1 football for example.
As so many have said, it's hard to call how a youngster will mature. Looking at some of the clubs that have yo-yoed in and out of the PL, I'm surprised he's hasn't done more but there's so much "wastage" at youth level

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom