• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Folarin Balogun: Balogone

Is he better than Lacazette?

• Total voters

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Just imagine what it'll be like when John-Jules gets back from loan! I think the TJJ vs Nketiah comparison is more interesting as they are opposites in a lot of ways. Which profile will we need more going forward?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think it's interesting that Mikel blamed the agent when its the same agency as Nelson, Nketiah and Alex Iwobi and Saka - all players we've done deals for.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think it's interesting that Mikel blamed the agent when its the same agency as Nelson, Nketiah and Alex Iwobi and Saka - all players we've done deals for.
Bit weird if you ask me. Arteta's forthrightness is definitely a double edged sword and this is one of those times.

Just imagine what it'll be like when John-Jules gets back from loan! I think the TJJ vs Nketiah comparison is more interesting as they are opposites in a lot of ways. Which profile will we need more going forward?
TJJ makes the most sense, given what we've seen is required of the CF in the current system. He's been off the radar mostly while people circle around Balogun and Nketiah.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
How about fans just understand that scoring goals at the elite level is ridiculously difficult and maintaining that over seasons is even more difficult, and it's only a minuscule percentage of strikers who get to that level and the chances of one of them being an academy player are ridiiiiiculously small.

Can someone tell me the last time Arsenal had an established no. 9 in the first team that came from the academy? And can someone tell me which academy player in the club's history has scored the most goals for the first team? Cos off the top of my head I can't think of anything.

Not to be unfair to Balogun, by all accounts he's a promising young player, but the odds are stacked against him. I really don't understand the expectation that he's an elite player we're about to lose.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Can someone tell me the last time Arsenal had an established no. 9 in the first team that came from the academy? And can someone tell me which academy player in the club's history has scored the most goals for the first team? Cos off the top of my head I can't think of anything.
We've seen it with Kane at Sp**s. The best /talismanic players tend to be academy sometimes, it's very hard to buy them.

A lot of barriers to get into premiership first team, so if you're there - chances are you are an abnormal talent and/or mindset to make it from the hoards of youngsters.

Looking at the amount of youth players to leave here and start for various clubs around Europe you can understand the concern. Ideally we would have sold him last summer and slapped a buy-back clause on him but captain hindsight.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
How about fans just understand that scoring goals at the elite level is ridiculously difficult and maintaining that over seasons is even more difficult, and it's only a minuscule percentage of strikers who get to that level and the chances of one of them being an academy player are ridiiiiiculously small.

Not to be unfair to Balogun, by all accounts he's a promising young player, but the odds are stacked against him. I really don't understand the expectation that he's an elite player we're about to lose.
I think Kevin Campbell was the last No 9 from our academy but he was established and in Wrighty's shadow for about one season. Merson joined us in his teens but got the number 9 when he was getting on a bit. We've produced or developed every position except a striker-unless you count Anelka. Balogun if he comes good would be fantastic for is.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
We've seen it with Kane at Sp**s. The best /talismanic players tend to be academy sometimes, it's very hard to buy them.

A lot of barriers to get into premiership first team, so if you're there - chances are you are an abnormal talent and/or mindset to make it from the hoards of youngsters.

Looking at the amount of youth players to leave here and start for various clubs around Europe you can understand the concern. Ideally we would have sold him last summer and slapped a buy-back clause on him but captain hindsight.

Right but Kane is really the exception that proves the rule, Rashford too. What Sp*rs got with Kane is freakishly improbable, no way you can remotely expect that to happen with us. I'm just saying top level no. 9's historically don't come out of our academy, so it's unlikely Balogun, or Nketiah or John-Jules, will be one.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I think Kevin Campbell was the last No 9 from our academy but he was established and in Wrighty's shadow for about one season. Merson joined us in his teens but got the number 9 when he was getting on a bit. We've produced or developed every position except a striker-unless you count Anelka. Balogun if he comes good would be fantastic for is.

Yes good shout, in the modern era I can think of Bendtner and Carlos Vela, neither had great careers here. Probably the best striker to have been in the academy was Andy Cole who was there for 4 years apparently, but he only played 1 senior game with no goals before leaving.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Yes good shout, in the modern era I can think of Bendtner and Carlos Vela, neither had great careers here. Probably the best striker to have been in the academy was Andy Cole who was there for 4 years apparently, but he only played 1 senior game with no goals before leaving.
I forgot Andy Cole. Annoyed me when he was banging them in for Newcastle and Utd.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

However, rewarding demands for game-time from players in precarious contract situations is a dangerous game and one that sets a precedent. Arteta is entitled to ask why the club should commit to Balogun when he has not yet committed to them.

Despite a lot of their content being unreadable recently, this was actually a very fair point.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Despite a lot of their content being unreadable recently, this was actually a very fair point.
My stance all along tbh, despite Balogun looking like the bigger talent compared to Eddie.

I’ve said many times I don’t actually blame Arteta for this one, it is what it is.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
ErRWfxLXIAI3mmr

Tom349

Nelson and Saka deals were hardly straight forward. Both signings should have been easy given the opportunities the players were receiving and how highly the club rated them, on top of both being at the club for 10+ years.

scytheavatar

Established Member
My stance all along tbh, despite Balogun looking like the bigger talent compared to Eddie.

I’ve said many times I don’t actually blame Arteta for this one, it is what it is.

If Balogun is a bigger talent than Nkeitah then he has no reason to fear competition from Nkeitah. It will be a matter of time before Arteta has no choice but to play Balogun ahead of Nkeitah. But even if Nkeitah gets sold this month Balogun will still need to compete with Martinelli and TJJ, so it's not like he can expect the path to be cleared for him without him proving his ability.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Keeping up with the arsenal first team is hard enough for me so forgive me if I sound clueless but how do we know he’s the new messi?? Seen everyone up in arms about this and I didn’t know we watched the youth like that

scytheavatar

Established Member
Keeping up with the arsenal first team is hard enough for me so forgive me if I sound clueless but how do we know he’s the new messi?? Seen everyone up in arms about this and I didn’t know we watched the youth like that

This is boring stuff, just 2 seasons ago people were crying for Nkeitah to be played more often. Fans just like having new toys, which is why I am wary of us having another project youth. Same people crying for Balogun and Saliba will start calling them the worst players ever to wear our shirt when they get a couple of poor games.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom