Gabriel Martinelli: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Kingslayer, Jul 2, 2019.

1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

He should start them both alongside Pepe. Laca needs a break IMO. Tireless work but not scoring. Will watch the game and see how he played in a bit but still.

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
  2. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

Echoed my thoughts exactly.

We’ve got a gem on our hands but let’s not ruin him starting him unnecessarily.

3. boyinneedofhumor

boyinneedofhumor Active Member

I'm starting to form an opinion that in order to see the best of him,

a. he needs to start rather than subbed in.
    b. have about 60mins each game.
    c. consecutively for about 3-5 games.

The longer it takes for above, the more likely his form may "dip/regress" in terms of assists and goals.
    To an extent where starting him no longer achieves the anticipated impact.

(Not meant as criticism of him, but just a hunch if he continues to be used in a substitute role/appearances manner from now to end of the season).

4. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

Some half hearted wellington silva jibe that somehow stuck.

5. Wrighty4eva

Does anyone remember the name of the Brazilian left back we signed who dissapeared on loan and apparently got caught shagging the loan clubs owners daughter.....

6. nicky47

nicky47 Well-Known Member

We really need Martinelli to come into the team and start scoring, although its very unfair on him. We're unfortunately in a position where we need someone to start scoring. Hope its him...

James Bond likes this.
  7. TheIceman85

TheIceman85 Well-Known Member

This guy?

qwerty99 and Wrighty4eva like this.
  8. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

But he is scoring goals, could be more if he start more PL matches tho... he usually just play the last 20-25 minutes of PL matches when Arsenal is normally struggling (compared to the first half, it is on average for the whole season), that decreases his average in the league.

In all competitions he is averaging 1 non-PKG or A per 90 minutes: https://fbref.com/en/squads/18bb7c10/Arsenal

nicky47 and James Bond like this.
  9. StefanB

StefanB Well-Known Member

Hopefully he'll get to start a couple of games now that Aubameyang is suspended.

10. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

This, but to specify Id like to see him upfront. The season in the league is lost, so give him a run upfront now that PEA is out.

MutableEarth likes this.
  11. MutableEarth

Pedro Botelho

DasBootist and Wrighty4eva like this.
  12. Manberg

Manberg Predator

PEA’s been on the wing and I think that’s where Martin Nelly will play too. He’s been good on the wing so I don’t see the problem with making him a winger.

Riou likes this.
  13. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

He wont bench lacazette in place of Saka i think, And you can't really play laca on the wing

14. Wrighty4eva

That's the melt, cheers ...

15. StefanB

StefanB Well-Known Member

Would like to see Laca benched with Nelson on the left tbh.

16. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

You can. The boy is fearless and if he is really going to be a crack he doesn't need all this molly-coddling lesser player needs.

Let's not waste a huge talent by wrapping him in cotton-wool so he is pristine when he leaves for Barcelona or Madrid.

17. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

The problem is that he’s demonstrated as a centre forward, the kind of movement and natural finishing you see once a decade while on the wing he’s just chasing opposition full backs into our half every time they attack and running around with little purpose, conceding fouls.

He’s got 1 goal + 0 assists in 11 appearances on the wing and 7 goals + 3 assists in 7 games as a striker.

This doesn’t even take into account the highest number of passing combinations are between centre backs and the intensity of his pressing there helps us win the ball in far more dangerous positions.

You don’t just make someone a winger. Sign a proper one and watch this kid wreak havoc.

Auba shouldn’t be on the wing either.

18. MutableEarth

I don't think Arteta would drop Laca now. He'll probably play Nelson on that left hand side anyway. I'd like to see a front 3 of Nelson-Martinelli-Pepe but it's probably unlikely.

Sanis and The_Playmaker like this.
  19. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Rather Saka than Nelson tbh.

20. MutableEarth

That's fine. I'm backing Nelson to start putting up the numbers sooner rather than later personally but I'm cool with Saka getting the nod. Although, I've really enjoyed his stint at LB.