• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Paulista (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlitobrigante

Cant understand why peeps think we need another CB if Gabriel goes. We have such a bloated squad, and it is stopping us from being able to sign players for where we really need them.

We have the BFG, Kos, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers.

Then Monreal, Kola, and Elneny if we get desperate. Surely that is more than enough??? Even with 3 at the back we are well covered.

Gabriel worries me every time i see him on the pitch. Hope he goes.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Cant understand why peeps think we need another CB if Gabriel goes. We have such a bloated squad, and it is stopping us from being able to sign players for where we really need them.

We have the BFG, Kos, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers.

Then Monreal, Kola, and Elneny if we get desperate. Surely that is more than enough??? Even with 3 at the back we are well covered.

Gabriel worries me every time i see him on the pitch. Hope he goes.

tbf, of those players, only Kos is WC, he is aging and has been carrying injuries for some time. This season I expect him to miss games, these could easily coincide with Per being unavailable. If that happens would you feel confident playing the top PL sides? We don't necessarily need another CB because we are short in numbers, we need another WC CB for the quality.

carlitobrigante

tbf, of those players, only Kos is WC, he is aging and has been carrying injuries for some time. This season I expect him to miss games, these could easily coincide with Per being unavailable. If that happens would you feel confident playing the top PL sides? We don't necessarily need another CB because we are short in numbers, we need another WC CB for the quality.

Ok that's a fair point. Though i honestly think Per has done enough to be called world class.

Its a tough one, as signing another WC defender could mean we are so bloated numbers wise if Kos and Per manage to stay fit for most the season. I seriously rate both Holding and Chambers, and they need game time to progress into the top class defenders i think they can be. I need to see more of Mustafi, but i like what i see and think he is going to be brilliant for us.

On another note, its so nice to have so many defenders who are solid at defending but also excellent ball distributors. It really helps us retain the ball and start the play from the back (though with it comes an occasional heart in mouth moment!).

OSBK

Established Member
World class CB? It isn't really possible for us to sign a world class CB sadly. Unless the term world class is being used very loosely here.

Top tier is a better term,

There are very few WC CB's and those guys already play for title winning sides.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Ok that's a fair point. Though i honestly think Per has done enough to be called world class.

Its a tough one, as signing another WC defender could mean we are so bloated numbers wise if Kos and Per manage to stay fit for most the season. I seriously rate both Holding and Chambers, and they need game time to progress into the top class defenders i think they can be. I need to see more of Mustafi, but i like what i see and think he is going to be brilliant for us.

On another note, its so nice to have so many defenders who are solid at defending but also excellent ball distributors. It really helps us retain the ball and start the play from the back (though with it comes an occasional heart in mouth moment!).

Yes I agree re Per but how much of the season will he play. If we bought in a new WC CB, I would let Gaby & Chambers go, the latter could be a loan unless we were offered a good price.

BBF

I don't know why people immediately assume Kolasinic is a CB option. Being 6ft and a big stronger than your average footballer doesn't automatically qualify you to play there.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I don't know why people immediately assume Kolasinic is a CB option. Being 6ft and a big stronger than your average footballer doesn't automatically qualify you to play there.
Maybe cause he played there before and played well. Heck, he even dis it for us already, and did great. Inform yourself first ;)

BBF

Maybe cause he played there before and played well. Heck, he even dis it for us already, and did great. Inform yourself first ;)

Yeah. He clearly played so well that he featured twice there last season, and has been considered a left back for his whole career.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Tbf to Gabriel he did look very decent since Arsenal changed their formation and has looked good a few times he played RB in the old 4231. He was having a terrific end to the season until he got injured against Everton.

Since Arsenal are in the EL I'd like to keep as many players as possible. Top class CBs don't usually leave their already top class teams.

The best hope is to buy talented young ones and develop them, Arsenal have that kind in Holding and Chambers and a potential WC CB in Mustafi.

Also getting a WC CB is virtually impossible at this late stage of the transfer market coupled with the inflated prices. The only one I can think of is Davinson Sanchez from Ajax but he's a regular over there and would want to play every week since this is the WC year. Also he apparently was once approached/interested in Barça so we could have another Cesc situation down the line.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The debate in the distinction between top tier, top class and world class is so tedious

We need a starting CB who is one of the best in the league. Mertesacker is retiring, Koscielny ability to play without becoming injured is undetermined. Upgrading out starting 11 with a CM and CB is how we go up a level to really challenge

tcahill

People seem to forget that Monreal has been our starting LCB in the 3-4-3 and has been our most consistent performer there. Pretty sure he'll keep that role next season. Azpi played a similar role with Chelsea last season and was probably the best defender in the PL. A back three of Monreal, Kos, Mustafi looks very solid to me. With good options on the bench such as Per, Holding, Chambers, I just can't see how people justify splurging on a WC CB, when there are areas like CM and CAM that are in a much worse situation.

That being said, i'd happily sell Gabriel to partly fund a move for a younger CB talent, or the Lemar/CM fund.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Perhaps in a traditional two man centre back pairing but more and more teams who utilise a back three are playing full backs as centre backs and it's clear to see why.

Generally quicker, good tacklers and normally better with the ball at their feet. They support their wing backs by acting as an auxiliary wing back allowing them to double up much more naturally than a traditional centre back. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to do it and it's not because someone is six foot or strong.

Given he has played there before and was touted as someone who can play that position and we've seen Monreal do well there and other full backs for other teams it's not a fat fetched conclusion to draw.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Yeah. He clearly played so well that he featured twice there last season, and has been considered a left back for his whole career.
just like Monreal, and Azpicuelleta.
this idea of players unable to adapt to play different positions must end.

say yes

forum master baiter
World class CB? It isn't really possible for us to sign a world class CB sadly. Unless the term world class is being used very loosely here.

People use the term world class to describe Koscielny so yeah I think it's fair to say it's being used loosely.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

People use the term world class to describe Koscielny so yeah I think it's fair to say it's being used loosely.

Koscielny before his Achilles started to flare was thereabouts but yeah...agree

BBF

just like Monreal, and Azpicuelleta.
this idea of players unable to adapt to play different positions must end.

I didn't say they couldn't. I just think it's odd that barely anyone has seen him play and they automatically assume he can play CB based on his height and build. Same things I heard about Jenkinson a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom