• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gareth Southgate's England

Ewarwoowar

Didn't Wilshere tear this same Slovenia side apart not so long ago?

Big Sam dropping both Barclay and Wilshere was just posturing and probably at the behest of the EFA, an attempt to allay the apathy, cynicism and frustration of the masses for the debacle of the Euros and to intimate Sam had a plan. On balance Kane should have been the first man dropped, but their motives are skewed, they put the team as commodity before footballers,, politics ruining the game!

Ewarwoowar

Take these players away from the likes of Eriksen, Coutinho, Hazard, Özil, Santi etc they are exposed. Thats why even fat old Rooney out of position improves the side & a fit Wilshere is f*cking gold dust.

The English FA and football academys place getting up inside their heads above creating good footballers. Gone are the days when football players could play well with a free-ish essence but struggle to make coherent sentences,, uhh y'know, at the end of the day right, y'know.

Nowadays in interviews it's buzz words and phrases(the likes to induce vomit and disingenuous to boot), I swear if you cracked the skull on these guys you would get a distinct whiff of P.C brand disinfectant a la Rooney. That's where His form went, totally ******* sanitized the **** out of what used to be, yes a primitive beast, but an effective one!

Godwin1

Very well-known
With our population, money, infrastructure and passion we have football it's not wrong for any of us to expect much better from England. There has to be a fundamental area where we are getting it wrong.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Even when we used to produce talent back in the day it was rare we picked the flair players, Gazza apart, for some strange reason.

Matt le god only had 8 caps ffs.....

I agree in regards to how English fans and media treat skilled, creative and technical players. Absolutely disgraceful that Xavi's idol Le Tissier only got 8 caps. Le God had more talent in his little toe than Lampard and Stevie G combined.

infinium

With our population, money, infrastructure and passion we have football it's not wrong for any of us to expect much better from England. There has to be a fundamental area where we are getting it wrong.
Whilst we have a sizeable population, I do not think we spend money effectively. We waste a lot of money on big initiatives that fail to do the most important thing which is to simply get kids out playing football. Our infrastructure does not support a "football career" as a serious life choice. We do not live in a society where football is a "way out" for young kids like it might have been in the past. In addition, passion is important but bellowing from the stands and at Sky TV does not translate to the blood, sweat and skills you need to become a sporting star. It is down to individuals and the family and coaches around them to develop the strength and mentality to succeed. The latter is something we fail at miserably.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Even when we used to produce talent back in the day it was rare we picked the flair players, Gazza apart, for some strange reason.

Matt le god only had 8 caps ffs.....

Incredible player, made it look so easy, some players just don't fit into the FA mould. You're right, he should have played far more for England than he did. Clough was another who didnt fit into the FA mould, he should have been England manager at some point in his career, criminal that he wasn't offered it.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

While not the sole reason the media and everything that goes with it plays a huge part. From clubs spending far too much time ensuring their players can handle questions, the likes of Shearer and co condemning any player from pulling off a trick or taking another touch instead of ‘getting stuck in’ (although this has improved recently). Even the availability of games on TV or going to games is far less than it should be, so young players can’t even learn from the best regularly.

Obviously grassroots is a well-known issue but beyond the lack of funding, most coaches are either are too lazy or don’t know how to train players. I think I joined a club when I was about ten and was never taught how to curl the ball effectively until I did it myself 4/5 years later.

The mentality associated with youth football is also sickening, from loud mouth parents to the must win attitude. Sounds weird but I played in a team with some fairly gifted players and we lost the majority of games because we no one was really suited to the rugby-esque tactics or their given position.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The brightest prospect of that English side last night was Stones. He is just a smashing footballer. His confidence and desire to play football was light-years ahead of those around him last night.

I'd move him to midfield for the English set up. He'd help them so much there.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The brightest prospect of that English side last night was Stones. He is just a smashing footballer. His confidence and desire to play football was light-years ahead of those around him last night.

I'd move him to midfield for the English set up. He'd help them so much there.

Agree with this because he's definitely not a defender.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Agree with this because he's definitely not a defender.
He certainly is a defender. In the modern sense a great defender as well.

The best way to stop the opposition from scoring is starving them from the ball. Defenders, notably centre backs, aren't comfortable with this approach preferring to keep the ball as far away from the danger zone. So in that regard he is a great defender. Just look how Pep picked him up and binned Hart (different positions I know). He wants people at the back comfortable to help his team defend by retaining the ball. Throw in the modern defensive attacker, no longer is it goal side and shape it's aggressively pursue a defender to get the ball back. Having a defender comfortable with attackers hunting in packs is worth its weight in gold.

So that's the modern defender. The traditional Tony Adams, John Terry type defenders are streets ahead of Stones. And that's fine. They defend in different ways. But even then Stones is still a decent traditional defender.

Having said that for England he should play in midfield because England still want to play if in doubt get rid, their media dream of great football and then **** a brick when players try it, to risky there etc. Also their midfield is tragic at the moment nobody wants to play the ball forward.

Lollipoppins

AM's Chef de Cuisine
I ultimately always feel bad and slightly bemused (cause it is england after all) for the fans and players. So much pressure from everyone and always seem to be swamped by a media ****estorm day in day out. I know why they get schtick but seriously it must be tiresome to be an English supporter. Don't give a toss about the FA though. They deserve more scrutiny and exposure in the press...which they never get.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I ultimately always feel bad and slightly bemused (cause it is england after all) for the fans and players. So much pressure from everyone and always seem to be swamped by a media ****estorm day in day out. I know why they get schtick but seriously it must be tiresome to be an English supporter. Don't give a toss about the FA though. They deserve more scrutiny and exposure in the press...which they never get.
The FA are mysteriously absent from the tabloids while they are setting up stings for England managers. I'm sure you'd only have to scratch below the surface to discover some FIFA-esq type shenanigans. They could at least be held accountable for employing a succession of **** managers though.

Lollipoppins

AM's Chef de Cuisine
The FA are mysteriously absent from the tabloids while they are setting up stings for England managers. I'm sure you'd only have to scratch below the surface to discover some FIFA-esq type shenanigans. They could at least be held accountable for employing a succession of **** managers though.
No doubt. Our own FAI isn't that far behind, not to the extreme levels of corruption as the FA but it's there no doubt. Selling our home games coverage etc for lucrative tv deals, the leagues being paid literally pittance and no funding channelled into sport and youth development...just into Delaney's coffers. But yeah, no one is ever held responsible, but why would they right? They're a business and they run it as such.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

DH6au5nXkAEwsVF.jpg

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom