• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,158,589

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
ebouenolike said:
I love Afobe. Great return, despite missing a peno.

Did you get a chance to watch the game?

I read the report but would be interested in hearing you views on it all. Park and Benayoun seemed to have been a real handfull?

ebouenolike

Established Member
Cudareli said:
Did you get a chance to watch the game?

I read the report but would be interested in hearing you views on it all. Park and Benayoun seemed to have been a real handfull?

No mate, was just going on what I'd read. Didn't mean to make it look like I'd watched the game. Just chuffed that he got plenty of game time and made a tangible contribution.

Sounded like Benayoun Park and Arshavin were on fire, which is great news regardless of the opposition.

dave_rwr

Established Member
in-pictures-0003.jpg

Surely Meade will not make it in the top tier of English football being that size. Even Arshavin dwarfs him.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Arshavin had some good moments but he was strolling throughout most of the highlights I seen.

Yossi looked sharp and I do think he's been under-used this season, he'll definitely go back to Chelsea in the Summer. Wenger's go-to midfield sub is Rosicky whether we're chasing a game, defending a lead, whatever. Diaby and Jack to return too 'apparently' - yeah, Yossi's goosed.

ebouenolike

Established Member
I wouldn't have given two hoots (at the time) if Ozyakup had been released before signing his latest contract, but he seems to have really improved and is starting to look a very decent player. Would love to see him go out on loan soon, he's starting to find the reserves too easy.

mistaT

Established Member
ebouenolike said:
I wouldn't have given two hoots (at the time) if Ozyakup had been released before signing his latest contract, but he seems to have really improved and is starting to look a very decent player. Would love to see him go out on loan soon, he's starting to find the reserves too easy.

Can you expand upon this?

He really seems to be above everyone else in the reserves bar Miguel and Afobe (of non loaned players.

yuvken

Established Member
I always saw talent, but I was not too excited. I'm reconsidering. He looked at home with Yossi (in a really sharp game from him) and an interested (much as he can be) Shava. That's a serious sign. I agree the reserves starts being a size too small.

Enfield

Established Member
I want us to make the top 4 this season, then the top 3 a lot more secure and earlier in season 2013 along with a small cup and follow that by winning a legitimate top trophy (Pl or Champions League) in season ending 2014. Considering this, who do we think will actually help us along and who will have their path blocked by a big summer purchase. It looks like Ryo and Oxlade should be good enough to cause most teams trouble in 12 months time which might mean we won't be looking at Hazard. And with Gnarby, Ozzy, Toral and Afobe really turning heads is it possible that Wenger will sign very little this summer in the hope that he will have 2 more special players in 12 months time. We should also remember that Coquelin and Jack have played little or nothing this year and will both hope to nail down starting spots which could mean Song moving between CB and CM. In which case do we need Bartley, Miquel or Lansbury.

Interesting times and decisions that could very well make or break Wengers remaining time here.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Look, we have to prioritise the first team at some point. I'd even be all for another loan for Miyaichi next season if it means freeing up a spot out wide for a quality forward, the sale of Arshavin has to be for a senior addition to the squad IMO, utterly ridiculous if we don't. Do you really think we can challenge United and City with Theo/Gervinho/Ox/Miyaichi as wide options, I say hell no.

fabo

6.51 / 10
And tbh Afobe, Toral, Gnabry shouldn't even come into our thinking this Summer, in terms of transfers. Ridiculous. Afobe had a loan spell at Huddersfield a few divisions below the PL. He was injured for ages this season and is slowly coming back - how can he be considered as an option next season? Seriously, loan him out and see what he's all about - Championship would probably suit as I don't see much game-time for him at PL clubs.

Enfield

Established Member
I think we'd all be for signing 3/4 big players this summer and added to a returning Wilshere we could be quite potent next season. However we all know Wenger/Gazidis/Stan won't do that. They are probably going to look at what they have and what is the minimum they need to get to stay arond the top 4. Keeping this in mind I reckon Ryo will be with us next season and we will see Ox, Ger and Theo rotate positions/playing time.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I don't think we even need 3 or 4 big signings and we can't afford it anyway. One or two offensive additions are needed though at a minimum and it should be achievable as Arshavin will be gone, Yossi probably too, and we have 2 back-up CF's who are redundant as it is.

Youngsters don't perform consistently, it's as simple as that. We've seen Ox in recent games, he was dire at Sunderland twice, lively enough cameo at Milan, and was giving the ball away as a sub on Sunday. You have to crawl before you can walk.

This season should be a major wake-up call to everyone at the club. And we all know Jack/Diaby will be replaced by someone else on the long-term injury-list next season.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
This season reminds me of 08/09 in so many ways. Its all about avoiding implosion and building for the following season.

Even after all that, in the summer of 09 we sold Ade and Toure and only brought in Vermaelen but still contended for the title. I'm positive that we'll be much stronger next season but the key is to buy well and flog deadwood.

Enfield

Established Member
I think the big thing to be learned from recent developments is that it is now necessary to let players develop away from our senior team ala Jack , Frimpong, Ryo, Bartley rather than dropping players into our senior team. We no longer have a top team with players like Vieira and herny who can carry the burden. For the next while this should be our method of developing players and seeing exactly how they react to tough situations. With this in mind I wouldn't be considering bringing too many through to our first team, I'd rather fast track our recovery with 2/3 senior signings and possibly selling a few talented players in 3/4 years time when we know how good our current 18yo are.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Has everyone seen those RvP quotes on Afobe from the weekend, safe to say I'm not his only admirer.

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.arseblog.com/2012/02/van-persie-afobe-has-everything-to-become-a-great/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.arseblog.com/2012/02/van-pe ... e-a-great/</a>

Arsenal Quotes

The match will be shown on Match of the Day later this evening and if you don't want to know the result look away now as we show you Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal.

Steve Rider
Top Bottom